Error open views Service Manager 2012 R2 cu9 RRS feed

• Question

• I have service manager 2012 R2 C9

I have the following essennial:

Server 1 - Service Manager Database

Server 2 - Service Manager 2012 R2 Cu9

the two servers are virtual in hyper-v.

recently the LUN where that found the Database server was full and the server was shut down

free space on the LUN and note that I generate two avhdx files one of them is corrupt the other I can join the vhdx

When I turn on the DB server, the service manager runs without problems. The only inconvenience I have is when I open the console and try to go to the created views, I get the following error:

Date: 11/15/2017 05:14:56 p.m.
    Application: Service Manager Console
    Application Version: 7.5.3079.607
    Severity: Error

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.ViewFramework.AdvancedListSupportException: The Full adapter threw an exception. See the FullUpdate property to see the exception.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.ViewFramework.AdvancedListSupportAdapter.DoAction (DataQueryBase query, IList`1 dataSources, IDictionary`2 parameters, IList`1 inputs, String outputCollectionName)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.DataModel.QueryQueue.StartExecuteQuery (Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob (IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:34 PM

Answers

• I agree with Yan Li about when it's giving the error message.

However it's reasonable to think the error message is inaccurate given how much can go wrong with SCSM.  I think the SCSM Server is making contact with the ServiceManager Database but the ServiceManager Database is choosing not to validate the current server as the one it "knows".

Could you verify what the server itself views itself as in Installed Updates?

Ex.  If you are on UR9 you should be able to see Version as "7.5.3079.607"

Unfortunately this is looking more and more irreparable.  What do event logs say after you trigger these errors?

1. Event Logs for The SQL Server hosting the Service Manager Database
    2. Event Logs for The SCSM Management Server where the SCSM Consoles are connecting to

I think it's game over if you haven't used the SecureStorageBackup to backup the crypto registry keys on the SCSM Server post-UR9 patch but before the corruption.  My guess is the keys in the registry are not the same as the one it expects in the database.

Unfortunately I am unable to come to any other conclusion due to not being the SCSM creators themselves....

I know at one point I was unable to get an old DataWarehouse restored and connected, still believe it was due to the keys being restored were somehow different than what was needed....

There are all sorts of keys in the LIVE SCSM ServiceManager Database:

SELECT HS.[AuthenticationName]
        ,HS.[DisplayName]
        ,HS.[IsManagementServer]
        ,EPK.[PublicKey] AS 'EntityPublicKey'
        ,EPK.[LastModified]
    FROM [ServiceManager].[dbo].[MT_HealthService] HS (nolock)

JOIN [ServiceManager].[dbo].[EntityPublicKey] EPK (nolock)
    ON EPK.[BaseManagedEntityId] = HS.[BaseManagedEntityId]

Ahhh, the above appears to be the encryption key for the "Microsoft Monitoring Agent" service which gets a new one after a server restart or something similar.....

I think the MachineKey Table is the be all end all.....

SELECT [InternalId]
        ,[ServerName]
        ,[PublicKey]
        ,[MasterKey]
        ,[MasterIV]
        ,[ActiveInd]
        ,[LastModified]
    FROM [ServiceManager].[dbo].[MachineKey] (nolock)

I am almost willing to say your issue is the SCSM server gets connected but when it goes to use a run-as-account before retrieving valuable data it is unable to because the key it uses for decryption is not the proper one, hence invalid credentials, hence database is unavailable to connect to (cause wrongly decrypted creds).

If you manage to figure this out, please post your solution.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Whether the issue only happen to the customize view? What is the view for? If there any extended classes used when creating the custom view?

In addition, according to your description, the issue happen when you changed the database server, would you please also look into operations manager event log to check is there any related error or warning. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:16 AM
  • Is this happening to other users on each SCSM Management Server they can connect to?  It's possible your local cache needs to be deleted.

1. Close SCSM Console
    2. Open Folder --> C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\System Center Service Manager 2010
    3. Delete everything in the folder

Another thing you can do is clean the Health Service State folder on the SCSM Management Servers themselves.

1. Stop the following services running on the SCSM Management Server
      • Microsoft Monitoring Agent
      • System Center Data Access Service
      • System Center Management Configuration
    2. Open Folder --> C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Service Manager\Health Service State
    3. Delete everything in the folder
    4. Restart the SCSM Management Server

Good Luck!

Edit:  You could try reapplying the UR9 patch on the server, in the extreme case the server was rolled back.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Hello thank you very much for your suggestions I have deleted the indicated folders, restart the server but I still can not open the views.

note that when creating a ticket and selecting the category the console e closes giving the following error:

Date: 16/11/2017 09:43:25 a.m.
    Application: Service Manager
    Application Version: 7.5.3079.0
    Severity: Error
    Message: An error was encountered while running the Service Manager Console. The console will now close. 

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:45 PM
  • when trying to install the UR9 I have the following error

2017-11-16T09:49:34.1968490-06:00 Always: Trace Session Started
    09:49:34:
    09:49:34:Application Started
    09:49:34:This is 32-bit application.
    09:49:38:LoadQuickFixEngineeringDetails: Loading entries from the xml file C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\WZSE3.TMP\SCSMPatcher\QFEList.xml
    09:49:38:LoadQuickFixEngineeringDetails: Found data for POSTINSTALL
    09:49:38:LoadQuickFixEngineeringDetails: Found entry SCSM2012R2_KB3129780_i386
    09:49:38:LoadQuickFixEngineeringDetails: Done loading QuickFixEngineering File
    09:49:38:Start adding DataItems
    09:49:38:Final Install Tasks
    09:49:38:Done adding DataItems
    09:49:39:Current UI culture (en-US) is not supported. Using Parent culture.
    09:49:39:Found C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\WZSE3.TMP\SCSMPatcher\en\EULA_QFEKB3129780.rtf.
    09:49:39:Found C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\WZSE3.TMP\SCSMPatcher\SCSM2012R2_CU_KB3129780_i386_7.5.3079.607.msp.
    09:49:39:All vital setup files found.
    09:50:10:ProcessInstalls: MSI is not in silent mode.  Setting the external UI.
    09:50:10:LoadQuickFixEngineeringFile: Loading entries from the xml file C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\WZSE3.TMP\SCSMPatcher\qfelist.xml
    09:50:10:LoadQuickFixEngineeringFile: Found data for POSTINSTALL
    09:50:10:LoadQuickFixEngineeringFile: MSP Parameters = SKIP_PATCHMP=0 SKIP_PATCHSQL=0
    09:50:10:LoadQuickFixEngineeringFile: Done loading QuickFixEngineering File
    09:50:10:SetProgressScreen: StartMinorStep.
    09:50:10:statusUpdate: Resetting progress bar.
    09:50:10:ApplyPreRunQuickFixEngineeringUpdates: Processing pre install data for POSTINSTALL
    09:50:10:ApplyPreRunQuickFixEngineeringUpdates: Found entry SCSM2012R2_KB3129780_i386 for install Item POSTINSTALL
    09:50:10:ApplyQuickFixEngineering: Applying SCSM2012R2_CU_KB3129780_i386_7.5.3079.607.msp
    09:50:10:ApplyQuickFixEngineering:  Enable logging for the MSI at C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\SCSM2012R2_CU_KB3129780_i386_7.5.3079.607.msp.5.log.
    09:50:14:Install Progress - (AppSearch) Searching for installed applications
    09:50:14:Install Progress - (LaunchConditions) Evaluating launch conditions
    09:50:15:Install Progress - (FindRelatedProducts) Searching for related applications
    09:50:17:Install Progress - (CostInitialize) Computing space requirements
    09:52:07:Install Progress - (SetODBCFolders) Initializing ODBC directories
    09:52:07:Install Progress - (MigrateFeatureStates) Migrating feature states from related applications
    09:52:07:Install Progress - (InstallValidate) Validating install
    09:52:07:statusUpdate: Resetting progress bar for MSI: MaxValue 113498
    09:52:20:Install Progress - (InstallInitialize) Gathering required information...
    09:52:29:statusUpdate: Resetting progress bar for MSI: MaxValue 531929843
    09:52:29:Install Progress - (ProcessComponents) Updating component registration
    09:52:29:statusUpdate: Resetting progress bar for MSI: MaxValue 531929843
    09:52:31:Install Progress - (StopServices) Stopping services
    09:52:39:Install Progress - (_StopNamedServices_HealthService.80B659D9_F758_4E7D_B4FA_E53FC737DCC9) Stopping Health services
    09:52:41:Install Progress - (RemoveODBC) Removing ODBC components
    09:52:41:Install Progress - (CreateFolders) Creating folders
    09:52:41:Install Progress - (InstallFiles) Copying new files
    09:52:47:Install Progress - (_ExecuteSqlScripts) Configuring Database
    09:53:46:mtError: The Service Manager database is not available. Some cleanup tasks will not be performed, including removing the registry key that stores the name of your management group in this machine.
    09:53:46:An error occurred while executing a custom action:_ExecuteSqlScripts
    09:53:46:Install Progress - (Rollback) Rolling back action:
    09:53:46:statusUpdate: Resetting progress bar for MSI: MaxValue 2442
    09:54:34:ApplyQuickFixEngineering: Return value was 1603.  Check the log at C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\SCSM2012R2_CU_KB3129780_i386_7.5.3079.607.msp.5.log for more detailed information.
    09:54:34:ApplyQfe: FAILED: We did not successfuly install QFE SCSM2012R2_CU_KB3129780_i386_7.5.3079.607.msp.
    09:54:34:ProcessInstalls: Patcher returned error 1603:Fatal error during installation
    09:56:02:Starting C:\Users\admin_scsm\AppData\Local\Temp\SCSMPatcherSetupWizard08.log

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

According to the error message "The Service Manager database is not available. Some cleanup tasks will not be performed, including removing the registry key that stores the name of your management group in this machine.", you may check whether the service manager database can be accessed during the CU9 installation. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:10 AM
  • I agree with Yan Li about when it's giving the error message.

However it's reasonable to think the error message is inaccurate given how much can go wrong with SCSM.  I think the SCSM Server is making contact with the ServiceManager Database but the ServiceManager Database is choosing not to validate the current server as the one it "knows".

Could you verify what the server itself views itself as in Installed Updates?

Ex.  If you are on UR9 you should be able to see Version as "7.5.3079.607"

Unfortunately this is looking more and more irreparable.  What do event logs say after you trigger these errors?

1. Event Logs for The SQL Server hosting the Service Manager Database
    2. Event Logs for The SCSM Management Server where the SCSM Consoles are connecting to

I think it's game over if you haven't used the SecureStorageBackup to backup the crypto registry keys on the SCSM Server post-UR9 patch but before the corruption.  My guess is the keys in the registry are not the same as the one it expects in the database.

Unfortunately I am unable to come to any other conclusion due to not being the SCSM creators themselves....

I know at one point I was unable to get an old DataWarehouse restored and connected, still believe it was due to the keys being restored were somehow different than what was needed....

There are all sorts of keys in the LIVE SCSM ServiceManager Database:

SELECT HS.[AuthenticationName]
        ,HS.[DisplayName]
        ,HS.[IsManagementServer]
        ,EPK.[PublicKey] AS 'EntityPublicKey'
        ,EPK.[LastModified]
    FROM [ServiceManager].[dbo].[MT_HealthService] HS (nolock)

JOIN [ServiceManager].[dbo].[EntityPublicKey] EPK (nolock)
    ON EPK.[BaseManagedEntityId] = HS.[BaseManagedEntityId]

Ahhh, the above appears to be the encryption key for the "Microsoft Monitoring Agent" service which gets a new one after a server restart or something similar.....

I think the MachineKey Table is the be all end all.....

SELECT [InternalId]
        ,[ServerName]
        ,[PublicKey]
        ,[MasterKey]
        ,[MasterIV]
        ,[ActiveInd]
        ,[LastModified]
    FROM [ServiceManager].[dbo].[MachineKey] (nolock)

I am almost willing to say your issue is the SCSM server gets connected but when it goes to use a run-as-account before retrieving valuable data it is unable to because the key it uses for decryption is not the proper one, hence invalid credentials, hence database is unavailable to connect to (cause wrongly decrypted creds).

If you manage to figure this out, please post your solution.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:27 PM