none
Convert VHD to Physical Disk to pass "Unsupported Cluster Configuraiton"

Question

• Ok so here is my problem.

My goal is to have it all HA with no error (wishful thinking,... i know )

I am using SCVMM2008. I am getting the ever famous "Unsupported Cluster Configuration"

In the Properties/Hardware Configuration/Advanced/Availability section it states:

Highly available virtual machine SERVERNAME is not supported by VMM because its cluster resource group is not configured correctly.

Ensure that the resource group only contains a single VM resource, a single VM configuration resource, and zero or more disk resources all belonging to this VM.

In the past, I used to create 1 cluster group with multiple VMs in it all in one LUN, (separate directories)

If I understand this correctly I have to create 1 group, with 1 virtual machine/config and one physical disk resource (lun).  

The disk does not have any dependencies
    The VM configuration is dependent on the disk
    The VM is dependent on the configuration AND the disk.

But its still says its not supported even after refresing the cluster hosts and running  repair on the VM.

So, at this time my hunch is that it needs to be setup as sort of a pass through disk. As it stands now, it does have 1 dedicated LUN but its in a folder on its own directly. no other VMs run off the same disk.

ANY help or guidance woud be greatly appreciated!!

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:16 PM

Answers

• As busbar said, VMM supports only highly available VMs (HAVM) with each VM is placed on a separate LUN.

To deploy highly available virtual machines on a host cluster, you must first configure shared storage for the clustered hosts.

To enable independent migration of each highly available virtual machine, VMM requires that each HAVM be stored on a separate, unshared LUN. This ensures that HAVMs can be migrated between hosts without affecting the availability of other HAVMs.

for more information about how to configure host cluster in VMM to support HAVM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764274.aspx
    Fawzi
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:21 PM

All replies

• I'm not quite sure I'm following your question, but everytime I've seen that error, it has been because I have a DVD mounted.

Dan Taylor
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:24 PM
  • you need to make sure that each VM is placed on a seperate LUN
    Regards, Mahmoud Magdy
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:52 PM
  • As busbar said, VMM supports only highly available VMs (HAVM) with each VM is placed on a separate LUN.

To deploy highly available virtual machines on a host cluster, you must first configure shared storage for the clustered hosts.

To enable independent migration of each highly available virtual machine, VMM requires that each HAVM be stored on a separate, unshared LUN. This ensures that HAVMs can be migrated between hosts without affecting the availability of other HAVMs.

for more information about how to configure host cluster in VMM to support HAVM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764274.aspx
    Fawzi
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:21 PM