none
Moving SCOM Databases from RDM clusters to Always on RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We need to move the SCOM databases (Operations as well as DWDB) which are currently hosted on RDM Clusters to Always on availability group severs. Can you please guide what all best practices should be followed for this movement.

Regards,

Daya Ram

Friday, March 16, 2018 11:44 AM

All replies

• There is not much specific steps on the SCOM side when you move databases to Always on, it's the almost the same procedure as if you were just moving them to any other SQL instance : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/manage-sqlserver-communication?view=sc-om-2016

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, March 16, 2018 12:28 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2018 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for this. Just one query- If we are using the default SQL port i.e 1433 then, Is it necessary to specify the port number alongwith the listner name <AvalabilityGroupListnerName,portNumber>.

Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2018 3:59 PM
  • I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I don't see any harm in it neither... just specify it to be on the safe side!
    Friday, March 16, 2018 6:21 PM
  • Hello Daya, 

As far as i know i have not read officially anywhere that if you are migrating SCOM DB to always on then port is do not required. Coz when we configure the DB or DW then we need to give <AvalabilityGroupListnerName,portNumber> on several places so i agree with CyrAz that it should be required for safe side. 

And why you have hesitation to open it, is it high secure environment or anything else.

I suggest you should choose this with open port or otherwise shoot on your will, might be it will work :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Not sure if port number is required, however I read it as being required.

I'll give you my take on these situations though. In my thinking you always want to reduce ambiguity. It helps yourself and your co-workers. It may be optional, but sometimes stating the obvious can help clarify things.

So, in conclusion - As CyrAz says, at least it wont break anything to put it there.

/Jesper Rune Larsen (https://enlightementthroughcuriousity.blogspot.dk/)

Saturday, March 17, 2018 8:00 AM