none
Problem with duplicate GUIDs

    Question

  • I have a few systems with the same SMSBIOS GUID of 03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009.  I put this in the bannedGUID reg key on the server and rebooted it.  Its BIOS GUID is now being ignored on systems that are newly imaged, as confirmed in the smspxe.log.

    However, my problem is that I have a new system that thinks its SCCM Client GUID is the same as another known system.  Whats more perplexing is that I changed the GUID of the known system, but when I attempt to image the new unknown system it thinks it still has the same GUID as the known.

    So, to clarify: the known system had a GUID of 66CE94C3-A558-4F2E-BC13-05CDF9360B81.  I tried to image the new system but according to smsts.log it thinks its the same:

    Client Identity: GUID:66CE94C3-A558-4F2E-BC13-05CDF9360B81 TSPxe 10/31/2013 2:49:54 PM 1196 (0x04AC)

    Netbios name: KIOSK01 TSPxe 10/31/2013 2:49:54 PM 1196 (0x04AC)

    Client GUID = GUID:66CE94C3-A558-4F2E-BC13-05CDF9360B81, Netbios name = KIOSK01, State = Known TSPxe 10/31/2013 2:49:54 PM 1196 (0x04AC)

    So, I changed the GUID (via this script) on the known system and it randomly generated a new GUID of 2B976CE2-A796-4CA0-93A1-ACD372EADE69.  The admin console reports the new GUID as well as the client on the known system. I tried to image the new system again, but it now thinks it is still the known system with the same, new GUID!  Whats the deal here?

    Client Identity: GUID:2B976CE2-A796-4CA0-93A1-ACD372EADE69	TSPxe	11/4/2013 8:24:59 AM	1192 (0x04A8)
    Netbios name: KIOSK01	TSPxe	11/4/2013 8:24:59 AM	1192 (0x04A8)
    Client GUID = GUID:2B976CE2-A796-4CA0-93A1-ACD372EADE69, Netbios name = KIOSK01, State = Known	TSPxe	11/4/2013 8:24:59 AM	1192 (0x04A8)
    

    SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3

    Thanks-

    Monday, November 4, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

  • So as it turns out the BIOS GUID is checked a second time in the preboot environment.  This second check does not take into account the GUIDs listed in the BannedGUID key.  Thats how they were linking together.  After some more research, I found a utility to change the BIOS GUID to a randomly generated string.  These particular systems had the American Megatrends (AMI) BIOS.  The utility I used can be found here.  The command I used to generated a new GUID is "amidmi.exe /u".  After that all is well.

    • Marked as answer by pseudoyams Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:43 PM