SCCM 2007 R2 SP2 on Server 2003 need upgrade advise to SCCM 2007 R3 SP2 2008 R2 server RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I am running SCCM 2007 R2 SP2 on a 2003 server,  I have 2 goals this week one is upgrade the system to R3 and move it over to server 2008 R2 so we can utilize more memory.  Should I do the in place upgrade to R3 first then build a 2008 R2 server?  Our current SCCM server has everything running locally including SQL 2005. Eventually I know our company want to have everything on SQL 2008 also.
    • Moved by Moiz Rassiwala[MSFT]Microsoft employee Monday, March 14, 2011 11:14 PM Moving to a location with related focus (From:Configuration Manager General)
    • Moved by Eric MattoonMicrosoft employee Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:40 AM Belongs on Setup/Deployment forum moved here (Software Distribution) in error (From:Configuration Manager Software Distribution)
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:13 PM

All replies

• Really doesn't matter which order you do it in. I'd probably move it then install R3 personally.

I am assuming you are moving to new hardware? If not just be sure you know that you can't upgrade the OS on a SCCM server and you need to keep the same server name and SCCM installation path when you reinstall.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum/|
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Yes I was assigned a new server with 2008 R2 installed on it with a new name.  Both old and new are Hyper V servers.  So do I do a new install then migrate the database over? 
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:22 PM
  • If I need to update the database to SQL 2008 R2 do I need to do that ahead of time or can I do it through the migration?

So what I am doing right now is builing SCCM 2007 R3 SP2 with SQL 2008 R2 on a 2008 R2 server.  Read a bunch of the articles, is building this new server and setting it up as a child to the parent then promoting it to a parent then demoting the old server will that work? 

I need to have this completed by Friday on Monday they are going to be coming in and installing Forefront on top of it.  So all guidance is greatfully appreciated. 

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Ok I have my orginal site upgraded to R3, should I also upgrade the database to SQL 2008 before building new server up? 
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:31 PM
  • That's a very specific scenario and I doubt that many already have done the exact same upgrade scenario, so you should just try it (in a testlab first and make sure that there's a good backup available).
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Torsten, unfortunatly I do not have a testlab available to me.  I am just wondering now if I should try and do and inplace database upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008?  or just build SQL 2008 on the new server and migrate the database over?

The over all game plan is to upgrade SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 to SCCM 2007 SP2 R3 and move it off of server 2003 x32 to server 2008 R2 x64.  My company wants to install the new Forefront end point security 2010 on top of SCCM next week.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:30 PM
  • HI,

If you dont have a test lab, then first take complete backup of system state, SQL, SCCM for any diaster recovery.

I would recommend to have side by side upgrade instead of in place. it will give you more chances to avoid any disaster or downtime.

Sajjad
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hello - I think, the better to go ahead with side by side upgrade (less risk). But 1 week is very little time to perform all these activities in a production environment.
    Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Hello

I am also planning to upgrade my SCCM 2007 OS to Windows 2008 R2 - My SiteSystem Database in hosting on the SQL 2005 Cluster Server on a different machine.

My concernd is when i am instalalling SCCM 2007 R2 on a different Windows 2008 R2 server, ( with same hostname & partition ) where should I host my Site System Database for SCCM, Should I point to the existing Database, or I need to create a new database for this purpose and later restore the configuration from the backup.   please advice.

And what the my existing packages and location of the source file, should I manually move it to new server, then what about the permission settings, etc,

Please shed some light on the correct steps and procedure involved to carry out this activties.

Thanks in Advance,

Fazal

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I did something similar.  What I did was prep a new SQL server and detach and reattach the CM DBs to the new server.  I then did a stire maintanence from setup and rehomed to to the new server.  I had to recreate the Forefront databases (which was all right - the FEP DB is created from information inside the main CM database)
    Friday, August 17, 2012 3:26 PM
  • This is what i did for upgrading SCCM 2007 SP1 on a 2003 sp2 server to a Windows 2008 R2 with SCCM 2007 SP2 R3 This checklist outlines the steps should take to Migrating to win 2008 server.

Step 1: Ensure computing environment meets the supported configurations required for upgrading to Configuration Manager 2007 SP2. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee344146.aspx  

Step 2:

• Verify that you have backup of server, including SCCM sql DB)

• Note SUP configuration details: update classification, categories , settings

• file systems backup of site server software source files, SCCM installation directories, ip configuration , etc that you need in new environment

• configurations: sccm installation path, account used, sites boundaries , etc )

• backup MOF files (SMS_def.mof ) if customized

Step 3:

• Uninstalled all the roles like, MP, DP,SUP, RP

Step 4:

• Run sccm backup again on site server, including SCCM sql DB (Keep in separate folder name “backup without role” from previous backup folder )

Step 5:

• Stop all sccm services & disable on server • Detach SMS database , cut and pest the db files to separate folder in SQL

• Rename server

• Assign new IP address to server

Step 6:

• Install new servers with Windows 2008 r2 sp1 with same name , same drive later

• keep same IP address to allow firewall rules

• Copy all the previously taken backups (backup without role ) folder to the new server

• Configure windows 2008 servers for sccm , http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431377.aspx  

• Configure securities for server ( SQL rights & AD rights system management folder )

Step 7:

• Run the SCCM sp2 Setup ,Starting the Prerequisite Checker From the Autorun Screen

• Install SCCM sp2 with Same site code, same site name, same installation directory path

• Install r3 Patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977384 & rollout R3  

Step 8:

• Run site repair wizard & restore site

• After restoration verify all the logs for any errors and then go for installation of site roles.

Step 9:

• Install all required roles ( MP,DP, SUP,RP )

• Review SCCM server status & review all old settings

• Configure SCCM further as per Design

Step 10: Verify that you do have backup of your both site before continuing with child primary site.

Hope this will help...

Cheers!

• Edited by Jho BIn Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:37 PM