microsoft windows server 2008 R2 sp1 on a laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I've installed microsoft server 2008 R2 sp1 on my laptop in dual-booting mode and everything is working fine except for the internet.

I can't connect to the internet with my wifi.

who can help me?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:42 PM

Answers

• This is a forum for hyper-v virtualization. I don't think that is what you mean by dual-boot so asking in a more general Windows forum may bring you better results.

Steve

<chen97661> wrote in message news:b561e051-8c0c-4de9-8d7a-a5868aa3e54d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi there

I've installed microsoft server 2008 R2 sp1 on my laptop in dual-booting mode and everything is working fine except for the internet.

who can help me?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:31 PM

All replies

• This is a forum for hyper-v virtualization. I don't think that is what you mean by dual-boot so asking in a more general Windows forum may bring you better results.

Steve

<chen97661> wrote in message news:b561e051-8c0c-4de9-8d7a-a5868aa3e54d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi there

who can help me?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:31 PM
  • You will most likely find that your wifi adapter is not supported for virutal networks. (and the Hyper-V on a laptop is not aupported anyway)

There are a few hacks floating around that tell you how to make a wireless adapter work for VMs.

If, during installation you allowed the Wizard to automatically create your first External virtual network - the first place to begin is to open the Hyper-V manager and delete this first virtual network.

Then you can back up and follow some of the hacks.

The following wiki article is a good place to begin:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/185.aspx

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:19 PM
  • You have to install the Wireless LAN Service for your Wifi to work.

Server Manager --> Features --> Add Features --> Wireless LAN Service

Once installed it will allow you to connect the host to a wireless network.  Just note that this connection will not be available to your virtual networks.

Rodney Buike
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Install VMWare it's free, runs Server 2008 as well as a lot more OS, there's better support and it works on laptops flawlessly...Hyper-V is junk and not worth the time, it will blue screen on your laptop since it doesn't support HD Video Cards whereas VMWare will work regardless.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:53 AM
  • VMware no longer offers the free VMware Server.  All other products offered by VMware are not free.

VirtualBox is free, XenServer also has a free option. 

The rest I will leave alone.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 4:18 AM