none
SMSTS.log file not big enough.

Question

• I know I have seen other discussions about this topic before but can not find any reference to it.

Is there a way to extend the size of the SMSTS.log file?

Is it possible to stop it truncating to 2 files or is it possible to allow it to store more than 2 smsts.log files?

At the moment I have dozens of packages installing at build time and the SMSTS.log file fills up and renames itself to SMSTS.log and SMSTS-########-####.log, but even the archived log file does not go back far enough.

Can anyone provide a link to a solution or post an answer here?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:14 AM

Answers

• You can use these command line switches when installing the ConfigMgr client:

CCMLOGMAXHISTORY Specifies maximum number of previous versions of the log file to keep. If this property is set to 0, no history is kept. The default is 1. For example, to keep one version of the log file:

CCMLOGMAXSIZE Specifies the maximum log file size in bytes. When a log grows to the size that is specified, it is renamed as a history file, and a new file is created. This property must be at least 10000. The default value is 250000. For example, to allow for a maximum log file size of 20,000 bytes before the file is renamed as a history file and a new file is created:

Ccmsetup.exe CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=5 CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000
    will increase the log size to 1M and keep 5 copies.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

• You can use these command line switches when installing the ConfigMgr client:

CCMLOGMAXHISTORY Specifies maximum number of previous versions of the log file to keep. If this property is set to 0, no history is kept. The default is 1. For example, to keep one version of the log file:

CCMLOGMAXSIZE Specifies the maximum log file size in bytes. When a log grows to the size that is specified, it is renamed as a history file, and a new file is created. This property must be at least 10000. The default value is 250000. For example, to allow for a maximum log file size of 20,000 bytes before the file is renamed as a history file and a new file is created:

Ccmsetup.exe CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=5 CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000
    will increase the log size to 1M and keep 5 copies.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Thanks LBest that looks like th answer I want but I need to know if this will work for SMSTS.log as this log starts to be created before the CCM client is installed.

Does this setting work for SMSTS.log during the whole deployment process?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Yes.  I don't believe it truncates the logs until they are moved to c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs which is after the client is installed.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Not sure that this is working as I expect it to.

On the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" task in my task sequence I have set the CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=5 and CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 installation properties, yet I still lose a large chunk of my log file.

I get only one (1) truncated log file for history.

I see nothing in the documentation that says these switches need to be in a certain order, or that they need a / or - in front of the property.

What am I missing?

Is anyone else setting these option for their ConfigMgr client install as part of OSD?

Monday, September 08, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Same problem here.  I opened a case with Microsoft and they suggested the two things you have already tried.

CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=5

CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000

However, my log file truncates and loses data on the WinPE side even before the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" step runs with the above parameters.  The following OSD variables seem like the ticket, but these are the read only variables that can't be set.

_SMSTSLogDebug=0
    _SMSTSLogEnabled=1
    _SMSTSLogLevel=1
    _SMSTSLogMaxHistory=1
    _SMSTSLogMaxSize=250000

Hopefully someone else has found a solution.  I'm still waiting for a response from Microsoft.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi

did you solve the issue with the smsts.log file size? I have the same problem and I am not sure where to set the log size. Information is incomplete due to truncation.

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Joachim
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I just found this blog with some information on how to increase that log file size:

http://blogs.technet.com/carlossantiago/archive/2009/01/19/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-smsts-log-file.aspx

I haven't tested this yet, but it looks promising. 

• Proposed as answer by ShaneAlexander Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Has anyone found a way to increase the log file.  I have tried what is on Carlossantiago's blog and it doesnt seem to be working for me, the largest SMSTS.log i am able to get is 245KB.  I made sure I did everything exact to Carlos' blog and nothing. 

If anyone knows a way to do this please let me know. 

Thanks,
    James
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:50 PM
  • I also still waiting for a solution.

BTW: I added a copy job as a task sequence step at the end to copy all SMSTS-*.log to the log share but dependent on the numer of logs written I still loose some logs.

Thanks
    Joachim
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Just a shot in the dark: there's a HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM\Logging registry key in WinPE. You could try modifying the bootimage (mount .wim, change keys) in order to change the loglevel during the PE phase. I haven't tried that yet.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 10:41 PM
  • I assume this entry will increase the number of log entries and not change any log file size. The log related variable are set very early in the staging process by the TSMBootstrap.exe program, so the question from my point of view do we have a chance to set these variables e.g. via the ZTIGather.xml which seems to be the first configuration file read by the program.
    Friday, March 05, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Hi

an update from my site because I implemented a solution which works for me. To increase the log file site you have to create a smsts.ini file in in system root folder with the following entries as mentioned in some other threads:

[Logging]

LogMaxSize=5000000
    LogMaxHistory=3

I added the file to the WinPE boot image.

I create/copy smsts.ini during a build and capture process into the windows root folder to have it in place during the deployment phase.

The next issue to solve is that the "Copy Logs" task sequence will only copy the smsts.log file. While the log file size increases during the build and capture process a new smsts.log is created after the image is applied and configured. The history file is not copied. The same situation takes place some task sequence steps later.To have all logs I keep 3 log files because new smsts.log files are created from time to time.

So I decided to add an additonal copy log step and copy the logs file manually:

cmd /c copy /Y %_SMSTSLogPath%\smsts-*.log %SLShare%\%computername%\

Hope this is usefull for you.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by ShaneAlexander Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:24 AM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 8:07 AM