none
Error 609 deploying from template

Question

• I'm trying to deploy a Win2K8 x64 template, but it is failing.   The guest is as simple as it gets - vanilla install of Win2K8, change local policy to allow blank password, set password blank, create template.   That works fine.   When I go to deploy the template, the job hangs at step 1.6.5 which I believe is where it is trying to apply the sysprep answer file.  It eventually times out with:

Error (609)

Virtual Machine Manager cannot detect a heartbeat from the specified virtual machine.

..etc

When I connect to the VM it has an error message on screen saying:

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize].  The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.  The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

Click OK and get another error asking to restart, which is an endless loop.

I know this error has something to do with the logon failing, but I verified the admin password was blank before I created the template by logging on and off the guest a few times before shutting it down for template creation.

Any ideas?

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• Then I am guessing that there is a bottleneck somewhere in the system that is causing VMM to decide that the deployment and customization is taking too long and timing out.

I have seen this happen, where in the end, if I go to the VM it is totally working - but VMM only gives me the option to clean up the failure by deleting the VM, and I don't want to do that.....

So I am guessing that somewhere in your system you have a resource restriction that is causing the actions to not perform fast enough, thus VMM gives up waiting for something to come back from the VM, thus failing the job.

Now, also - since the failure is heartbeat related.  Are your Integration Services (or VMAdditions if Virtual Server) at the proper release level?

If you are using Hyper-V as your Host the version of Integration Services installed in the VM _must_ match the version that the Host is using.  (one way to think of this is that they must be at the same Hyper-V release level).

And this is a must, not a may be.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:17 PM

All replies

• Is the OS set to the correct one in the Profile?

If you have the wrong OS declared the sysprep action will not be right (sysprep.inf vs. unattend.xml).

Since sysprep has now changed, setting the correct OS is important.

(It does not detect the OS, you have to tell it)

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Yes, the OS is set correctly, and I've also verified the sysprep worked by copying the VHD from the library and starting it up.  It goes through normal machine setup and ends up with a working OS.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:42 AM
  • Then I am guessing that there is a bottleneck somewhere in the system that is causing VMM to decide that the deployment and customization is taking too long and timing out.

I have seen this happen, where in the end, if I go to the VM it is totally working - but VMM only gives me the option to clean up the failure by deleting the VM, and I don't want to do that.....

So I am guessing that somewhere in your system you have a resource restriction that is causing the actions to not perform fast enough, thus VMM gives up waiting for something to come back from the VM, thus failing the job.

Now, also - since the failure is heartbeat related.  Are your Integration Services (or VMAdditions if Virtual Server) at the proper release level?

If you are using Hyper-V as your Host the version of Integration Services installed in the VM _must_ match the version that the Host is using.  (one way to think of this is that they must be at the same Hyper-V release level).

And this is a must, not a may be.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:17 PM
  • I'm pretty sure it's not a resource bottleneck on the host.  It's an 8 core server with 20GB of RAM and a 4 disk RAID 0 partition for the VM to live on, and there's only one VM on it so far.   Everything is quite speedy.

But you've given me a good hint there at the end.  I do not have Hyper-V installed on the SCVMM server.  The Hyper-V host is running RTM Hyper-V.  So I'm guessing you're right and the version of Integration Services doesn't match up between the two.

My SCVMM server is 64 bit but not Hyper-V capable.  How would I go about getting the latest and greatest Integration Services put on it?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:49 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Any resolution?

Shane Cribbs

Friday, November 07, 2008 2:45 PM
  • I'm having the same issue too. Any help?

Also this is another: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachinemanager/thread/784e9e69-7d0c-49e7-a812-686153f3d2f0/
    www.yusufozturk.info
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:49 PM
  •   HI,

I am having the same issue , not the admin password issue though, THe VM creation is failing during 1.6 customize Virtual Machine, when i check the console its failing while joing to domain , when i connect the Host , the VM dose'nt have network card .

This problem is BIG Headache for me now. If i create the VM using Template through the VM Manager template Network card is fine and the host is building fine. If i request the same VM through Self Service portal  on the same host its failing (network card not attached) and its stopping during the customization VM failed (94%)

Appreciate all your help. I am tring to fix this for the last 3 months no help is offered so far.

--SAM
    Friday, March 06, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Thanks four your replys. I had the same issue, i solved it by making two changes to the template on the OS configuration tab:

1. Change the product key to an KMS key (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx)

2. Changing from joining the domain to join WORKGROUP.

Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:41 AM
  • I was getting the error: Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize].  The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.  The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

Changing the product key from a MAK to a KMS key solved thie problem for me as well.

I was still able to join the domain, no problems there.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Changing the Server 2008 Product from a MAK key to a KMS worked for me as well. Thanks!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hi!

I get the same problem, so how can I change MAK key to KMS?

I use Windows 7 Professional with key from Microsoft Partner Network.

Thanks!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:15 PM
  • I had the same problem with 2012. By default it select 64-bit editition of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, but I was using W2k8r2 data center.  Once I selected the right OS on the Template properties it works fine.
    Friday, May 11, 2012 6:05 PM