none
Existing outlook profile : Attempt to log on to Microsoft Exchange has failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I have a single Exchange 2016 server. We use Outlook 2016.

I just upgrade Exchange from CU3 to CU9. All is working fine except for one point.
    Existing outlook profile don't work. When they click on the outlook icon, Outlook doesn't open, we just have a popup with "Unable to start Microsoft Outlook. Unable to open Outlook windows. Unable to open all the folder. Attempt to log on to Microsoft Exchange has failed". I can't test connectivity because Outlook doesn't opens. OWA and ActiveSync are working well.

For some users, the existing outlook profil work, but for a few user.

If I create a new profile, it's working ! But existing profiles don't work :-( 
    I do the windows update of a computer, no change. 
    I reboot the Exchange server, no change. 
    I try Outlook.exe /resetnavpane, no change.
    I try Outlook.exe /safe, no change.
    I try to recycle the autodiscover app pool, no change.

For information, 2 years ago, I upgrade from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016. 

In this post, the problem is the same but there is no solution  https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29076265/After-Exchange-2016-Migration-Outlook-will-not-open-Cannot-connect-to-server.html

If I do a Wireshark on the client, no traffic to my Exchange server, nothing appens when I click on Outlook icon and have the popup error.

Can you help me please ? I have 2000 users...
    Thanks a lot !
    Best regards

• Edited by user_007 Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:12 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For information, I continue my investigation.

For a user that has the problem, if I go under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\16 I see the xml file for autodiscover. If I open it, it's not the good information ! I think it's the old information from when I migrate from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.
    If I create a new profile, it removes this file and create a new one with the good informations. If I just create this new profil and remove it immediatly after the creation, the old profile is working again ! Because it's just this file that cause the problem.

I don't understand how this has worked so far.

I understand now why I don't have outlook problem for all users. Users thats have a new windows profile have already the good informations.

I need to to that for all my customers that have the problem ! I can't automate the solution
    Best regards
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi user_007,

Did you tried to Repair Outlook Data Files? Repair Outlook Data Files: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253 

1. Exit Outlook and browse to one of the following file locations:

2. Open SCANPST.EXE.

3. Select Browse to select the Outlook Data File (.pst) you want to scan. If you need help locating your Outlook Data File, see Locating the Outlook Data Files.

4. Choose Start to begin the scan.

5. If the scan finds errors, choose Repair to start the process to fix them.

6. When the repair is complete, start Outlook with the profile associated with the Outlook Data File you just repaired.

I also want to confirm with you: What the specific version number for your Outlook 2016?Whether this issue occurs on the same version.

For your old question: Mailboxes migrate from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016, the services for Mailboxes are changed, so Outlook need run Autodiscover again, as a result, users need reconfigure Outlook profile.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 13, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

For information, I continue my investigation.

For a user that has the problem, if I go under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\16 I see the xml file for autodiscover. If I open it, it's not the good information ! I think it's the old information from when I migrate from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.
    If I create a new profile, it removes this file and create a new one with the good informations. If I just create this new profil and remove it immediatly after the creation, the old profile is working again ! Because it's just this file that cause the problem.

I don't understand how this has worked so far.

I understand now why I don't have outlook problem for all users. Users thats have a new windows profile have already the good informations.

I need to to that for all my customers that have the problem ! I can't automate the solution
    Best regards
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hi user_007,

Thanks for your sharing, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

About your problem "I can't automate the solution", you can write a course then share it to all users.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Any luck on this one? I am running into the same thing and have already performed every suggestion in here before getting to this thread. I am upgrading from 2010 to 2016. This is my second install of 2016 after stripping out the first deployment I thought was bad install. 

I have run testconnectivity.com from my current 2010 to compare against 2016 with no differences, I tried outlookconnectivity probes but most do not exist or the ones i can get to run complete successful. The mailbox connects and configures what would then drop connectivity to the DB when the .ost is created... that is all I can think is happening. Why am I not opening a connection to the DB when mailbox is created....

Additional: Two test mailboxes have been migrated to Exchange 2016. Both have the same issue> Moved them to alternate DB test = same> moved them back where I wanted them. Second 2016 install, mailbox logs in so IIS, HTTPR, etc.. gives no indication of failure that I can see. .ost 0KB. OWA access and items good. All 2010 user log on's humming along. 

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:32 PM
  • Hi user_007

Did you ever discover how to resolve this?  I am having a similar issue with section of users.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:55 PM