none
SYSTEMROOT directory(X:\Windows) is different from the configured one (x:\Windows~BT\Windows).

Question

• Hello,

Redoing the boot image I am getting a new error when trying to boot the client on it:

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory(X:\Windows) is different from the configured one (x:\Windows~BT\Windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details. Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

Any idea?

Thanks,
    - Dom
    Altiris Support / System Center Configuration Manager Support
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• How did you create the boot image, and are you doing capture or deploy ??

Michael Petersen

http://kongkuba1.spaces.live.com
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:59 AM
  • I am trying to create an image with Build and Capture for Windows Server 2008 but first I need a boot image working...
    I am using a HP DC7800 workstations for testing purpose.(2 Gb RAM)

I copied the Windows Server 2008 to my CONFIGMGRSRV server in a folder C:\Source Files\Microsoft\Operating Systems\2008\2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86
    Then from this copy I copied the boot.wim file from C:\Source Files\Microsoft\Operating Systems\2008\2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86\sources to \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386 Should I copy other files?

I had created a boot image under System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Boot Images > Add Boot Image
    - \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim and it displayed '1 - Microsoft Windows Longhorn WinPE (x86)' I input the name ' xxxx - boot x86 Windows Server 2008', Version 1.0, Comment : '\\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386'

Then I created an iso file through System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Task Sequences > Create Task Sequence Media
    - Bootable Media
    - Media File: \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386\boot.iso (is it a good idea to try to differentiate them like boot-w2k08.iso... boot-xp.iso or should they always be boot.iso?)
    - No password
    - Boot Image: xxxx - boot x86 Windows Server 2008 DP: \\CONFIGMGRSRV
    the progress went fine with all green check marks...

So I tried to boot the test machine on this CD burned...

I am getting an error:

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory(X:\Windows) is different from the configured one (x:\Windows~BT\Windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details. Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

All Windows Server 2008 requirements:
    Component
    Requirement
    Processor
    Minimum: 1 GHz (x86 processor) or 1.4 GHz (x64 processor)
    Note: An Intel Itanium 2 processor is required for Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems
    Memory
    Minimum: 512 MB RAM
    Maximum (32-bit systems): 4 GB (Standard) or 64 GB (Enterprise and Datacenter)
    Maximum (64-bit systems): 8 GB (Foundation) or 32 GB (Standard) or 2 TB (Enterprise, Datacenter, and Itanium-Based Systems)
    Disk Space Requirements
    Minimum (32-bit systems): 20 GB or greater
    Minimum (64-bit systems): 32 GB or greater
    Foundation: 10 GB or greater
    Note: Computers with more than 16 GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files
    Display
    Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution monitor
    Other
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

As I am no more sure where to look I am giving the size of the various files:
    - (1vista) CD boot.wim for vista: boot-VISTA-O.wim 119,106 Kb
    - (2vista) boot wim after distribution to the DP: boot-VISTA-O.<<Site name>>xxxx.wim 129,418 Kb
    - (3vista) iso file created through the TS from (1vista): VISTA-O.iso 156,482 Kb

- (1w2k08) CD boot.wim for windows server 2008: boot-W2K08-O.wim 130,189 Kb
    - (2w2k08) boot wim after distribution to the DP: boot-W2K08-O.<<Site name>>xxxx.wim 140,407 Kb
    - (3w2k08) iso file created through the TS from (1w2k08): W2K08-O.iso 156,482 Kb

I verified all these... let me know what looks wrong: process, file sizes, etc...

one stupid question should I make the iso from the boot.wim or the boot.<<site name>>xxxx.wim file?

Thanks,
    - Dom

• Edited by Felyjos Friday, May 1, 2009 10:42 PM
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I think the problem is the boot.wim that you use. It should be created from a standard WinPE boot file found in WAIK, and not the one contained in the OS.
    Try and create a custom one using this guide I wrote http://kongkuba1.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!EEFF1607E296E5AB!332.entry.

Michael Petersen

http://kongkuba1.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Monday, May 4, 2009 9:28 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Good catch ... Excellent... Thanks - Dom now I am able to boot so I am going to try an image Vista and 2008 soon...

The boot.wim was wrong as it was picked from the OS CD and not from the WAIK. After creating a new boot.wim now it is booting and I have been able to build an image... I am checking now why the capture did not create anything...

Thanks,

Monday, May 4, 2009 9:27 PM