none
SCOM agent data is not getting inserted to SCOM Data Warehouse DB RRS feed

• Question

• We have a SCOM 2012 R2 Environment. For few of agents no data is getting stored in SCOM Data Warehouse database. The agents(Server OS version WIN 2012 R2) are reporting healthy in SCOM. And in Console, if open the performance view of these agents and select the underlying objects like CPU, Memory, Logical disk etc (the collection rules), I can see the graph populating and also can extract these data from SCOM Operations Manager DB.

Interesting fact, If I try to pull any report from reporting pane in console,  while adding a group, when I search for the group/object with these server names, nothing shows in the Available Items section. Where as for other agent, it able to search.
    I've tried to pull Performance(hourly/Daily/Raw) and alert data extract from DW DB for these servers but query return no data. It seems noting  is getting stored in DW DB for these problematic servers, whereas for other servers data is getting stored in DW DB without any issue.

I've also verified that there is no override set for these servers for these collection rules. Also I have tried flushing scom agent cache, re-installing agents and tried below steps but still no luck. Also there is no such error or warning event appearing in Operations manger logs in these agents.

i. Stoped SCOM agent on these servers
    ii. Deleted the Health State Folder
    iii. Removed the offline agent entry from scom console
    iv. Executed PS command- 'Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance' on Management server
    v. Started SCOM agent

So to conclude, agent is healthy, data is reflecting in Operation Manager DB and in console also able to see the graphs but no data is reflecting in DW DB for these agents.
    If any one have encountered similar issue or any leads will be great help.
    Monday, August 12, 2019 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I know when we research the affected group which contains the affected servers in report, it shows nothing in Available items.  How about choosing “Add objects” to search the server (Try to use Contains , Begins with, ends with to search to see if the result is all the same.)?

Meanwhile, from the information you provided, it seems the performance data of the affected server is shown in performance view, but the alert of the affected machine is nothing. Please also check if there’s any performance data on the affected server

To view all performance data collected for a given computer:

--To view all performance insertions for a given computer:

select Distinct Path,

ObjectName,

CounterName,

InstanceName

from PerformanceDataAllView pdv with (NOLOCK)

inner join PerformanceCounterView pcv on pdv.performancesourceinternalid = pcv.performancesourceinternalid

inner join BaseManagedEntity bme on pcv.ManagedEntityId = bme.BaseManagedEntityId

where path = 'sql2a.opsmgr.net'

order by objectname, countername, InstanceName

https://kevinholman.com/2016/11/11/scom-sql-queries/

In addition, find some threads for your reference to see if it can help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/1a072512-6d50-41f7-825b-620fa7b5015d/servers-not-appearing-while-searching-in-scom-report?forum=operationsmanagerreporting

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2573329/troubleshooting-blank-reports-in-system-center-operations-manager

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:48 AM
  • 1) You may consider using the following SQL query to check whether performance data is stored into OperationsManagerDB and not OperationsManager DW

Data Warehouse Database

SELECT
    Perf.vPerfHourly.DateTime, Perf.vPerfHourly.AverageValue, vManagedEntity.DisplayName, vPerformanceRule.ObjectName, vPerformanceRule.CounterName
    FROM
    Perf.vPerfHourly INNER JOIN
    vPerformanceRuleInstance ON Perf.vPerfHourly.PerformanceRuleInstanceRowId = vPerformanceRuleInstance.PerformanceRuleInstanceRowId INNER JOIN
    vPerformanceRule ON vPerformanceRuleInstance.RuleRowId = vPerformanceRule.RuleRowId INNER JOIN
    vRelationship ON Perf.vPerfHourly.ManagedEntityRowId = vRelationship.TargetManagedEntityRowId INNER JOIN
    vManagedEntity ON vRelationship.SourceManagedEntityRowId = vManagedEntity.ManagedEntityRowId
    WHERE vManagedEntity.DisplayName = 'XXXXX'
    AND vPerformanceRule.ObjectName = 'LogicalDisk'
    AND vPerformanceRule.CounterName = 'Free Megabytes'
    ORDER BY Perf.vPerfHourly.DateTime DESC

Operational Database

select Path,
     ObjectName,
     CounterName,
     InstanceName,
     SampleValue,
     TimeSampled
    from PerformanceDataAllView pdv with (NOLOCK)
    inner join PerformanceCounterView pcv on pdv.performancesourceinternalid = pcv.performancesourceinternalid
    inner join BaseManagedEntity bme on pcv.ManagedEntityId = bme.BaseManagedEntityId
    where path = 'sql2a.opsmgr.net' AND
     objectname = 'LogicalDisk' AND
     countername = 'Free Megabytes'
    order by timesampled DESC

2) Moreover, also checking event log of DB server to check any error related to data store in operationsmanager DW

Roger
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:23 AM
  • There shouldn't be anything SCOM which would discard historical data for certain machines from others as they should all be collecting data.
    I would check those problematic servers and check that their agents are indeed healthy.

Also try running the Data Volume by Management Pack report as this can show you if the servers you are querying about are having performance metrics being discovered.

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:01 PM
  • Thanks Crystal for your response.

Noting appear in available items when choosing “Add objects” to search the server (By using Contains , Begins with, ends with). The Result are same.

As I said, I a able to extract performance data from Operations Manager DB but noting from DW DB.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Thanks Roger for the response.

As I said, I am able to extract performance data from Operations Manager DB but noting from DW DB for these problematic servers.

Will check the logs in DW DB server but this issue is with set of servers and not for all servers we are monitoring.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The agents are healthy and it has discovered same set of information under agent properties when I compare with any other working server.

You have mentioned to run data volume by Management pack report to see if these servers are querying about and having performance metrics being discovered. I'm not sure how to do it, can you please elaborate a bit on the steps to do so ?

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Review Management server and Datawarehouse DB server event log to check any error log.

Roger
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:54 AM
  • In the System Centre Core Monitoring folder there are a 4 reports. One of them is the Data Volume by management pack report.

If you run that this should give a good idea on where you are seeing alot of traffic

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

Monday, August 19, 2019 1:07 PM