none
Task sequence to install software only seems to work with .exe and not .msi programs

Question

• I am pretty new to SCCM, so excuse my ignorance, but when attempting to create a task sequence to install multiple software applications, I can add a software install task for packages that use a program created with an .exe, but when I try to add a software install task for a package that uses a program created with a .msi, no programs even show up in the drop down.  I can browse for a package, but the drop down for the program stays blank.  Any information to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

• We had this same issue.  It seems that the programs called by a task sequence need to have a full .EXE extension.

To get around this we changed the programs of our MSI packages to start with 'msiexec.exe /i <rest of command line>'.

That then works fine.  It is important to include the .exe extension - just having msiexec fails.  We needed to do a similar thing for BAT and CMD files - prefix the command line with CMD.EXE /C

Hope that helps

Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:36 AM

All replies

• Does this help:

The Program must not specified to run only under a user account, and it must not be specified to allow interaction with the desktop.  If either of these options is selected on the program, then it cannot be run from a task sequence and will not be listed in the combobox.

Task sequences always run under the system account, and they cannot interact with the logged on user’s desktop.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:07 PM
    Owner
  • We had this same issue.  It seems that the programs called by a task sequence need to have a full .EXE extension.

To get around this we changed the programs of our MSI packages to start with 'msiexec.exe /i <rest of command line>'.

That then works fine.  It is important to include the .exe extension - just having msiexec fails.  We needed to do a similar thing for BAT and CMD files - prefix the command line with CMD.EXE /C

Hope that helps

Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Your recommendation seemed to help in a couple instances but it did not work for all of them.  I have now noticed that even some packages with .exe won't show up in the drop down the way I expected them to when attempting to add them to a task sequence.  For example, when I try to add an install task for Firefox, I add the following command: Firefox_setup_2.0.0.12.exe -ms and then try and browse for the package and it won't show up.  To get around the issue I had to add "Run Command Line" tasks and run the install command line and attach the specific program.  That method seems to work, but it seems to me that I shouldn't need to do that type of workaround.  I think I am making my packages properly, so I don't really know what the issue is.

Adam
    Monday, March 17, 2008 2:12 PM
  • There are some programs that are not supported in Task Sequences - such as:

* Can't interact with the desktop

* Can't require a user to be logged on.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:40 AM
    Owner
  • I think that Wally already gave the answer. You probably have Allow users to interact with this program checked. If you click Help when you are in the Task Sequence > Add > General > Install Software, you will see that the Help file refers to the following:

The program you select must meet the following criteria:
    • It must run under the local system account and not the user account.
    • It should not interact with the desktop. The program must run silently or in an unattended mode.
    • It must not initiate a reboot on its own. The program must request a reboot using a 3010 return code. This ensures that the task sequence step will properly handle the reboot.
    Important 
    Configuration Manager 2007 software programs that use the Run another program first option to install a dependent program as part of the package are not supported by Operating System Deployment. If Run another program first is enabled for a program and the other program has already been run on the target computer, the specified package or program will be run. However, if the other program has not already been run on the target computer, the task sequence step will fail.
    Configuration Manager 2007 will filter out any disabled programs or any programs with the following settings and the programs will not be available:
    • Only when a user is logged on
    • Run with user rights

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:15 PM