none
HealthServiceState.edb growing large on monitored servers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm facing a problem with HealthServiceState.edb growing huge on some of my servers - Over 30GB in some cases and only stops when the disk runs out of space. 

Unsure if its related to the agents being deployed through a Virtual machine template, as this seems to be the pattern of machines which were built in this way. Using discovery wizard I don't get this issue, although the healtservicestate.edb is still sitting at around 400/500MB on these servers which i think i still on the large side.

Any idea what would be causing the HealthServiceState.edb to grow so uncontrollably?

I'm on 2012 R2 Rollup 7.

Thanks.

• Edited by PWC07 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you updated your agents?

Please check whether OS hotfixes has been deployed to your 2012r2 boxes? http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/01/27/which-hotfixes-should-i-apply.aspx

Also have Anti-virus exclusions been setup for the OpsMgr https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975931

You may try to uninstall the agent off one box, and redeploy the agent from the opsmgr console?

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:54 AM
  • There are sereval reasons for hugh DB size
    1) An agent running a lot of performance counterswill probably have a larger database file
    2) flush the agents cache
    3) run the “online store maintenance” task from OpsMgr console
    4)  perform a “Dirty Defrag” on the DB file
    - open your favorite shell and navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent\Health Service State\Health Service Store
    - Stop Healthservice.exe (Microsoft Monitoring Agent)
    - Run esentutl /r edb (recovery mode)
    - Start defragmentation by running esentutl /d HealthServiceStore.edb

Roger

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Thank you for the replies. Hotfixes are installed and AV exclusions in place.

When I remove and reinstall from Discovery Wizard in OpsMgr, then the EDB stays at a manageable size.

Only appears to be when its installed from a Virtual Machine Template where it continues to get larger until it runs out of space. On the template we have tried using a manual Scom install and through Discovery Wizard and have the issue with both.

Deploying Server 2008 r2 through a template i have no issue, issue only happens with 2012 r2.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:12 AM