none
could not initialize machine remoting system. Error: 'Element not found.'(0x80070490).

    Question

  • Hi

    I am getting this error when trying to start a VM in a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V ( all updated applied )

    'vm-xx' could not initialize machine remoting system. Error: 'Element not found.'(0x80070490).

    Does anyone experienced this error?

    I found one update, KB967902 but it is for Windows 2008 Hyper-V not for R2

     

     


    If this post is helpful, please mark it as such
    ________________________________________
    Alessandro Cardoso
    MVP | Microsoft Heroes | MCT
    blog: http://itaustralia.spaces.live.com
    http://cardosoalessandro.spaces.live.com
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 12:10 PM

Answers

All replies

  • try this

    1. Shut down or save all virtual machines.
    2. Restart the Hyper-V VMMS.
    3. Start the virtual machines.

    If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by GlennWallace Saturday, May 24, 2014 1:02 PM
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 12:46 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello Alessandro,

     

    I wrote about this error in the following KB and blog post.  Please let me know if they are helpful.

     

    Error 2912 when a Virtual Machine Manager 2008 operation fails due to a certificate issue: "Element not found (0x80070490)"

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971264

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mbriggs/archive/2009/05/08/vmm-operation-fails-with-error-2912-0x80070490-due-to-a-certificate-issue.aspx

    ___________________________________________

    Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

    Saturday, July 03, 2010 10:25 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Mike

     

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have not added this host to SCVMM yet and I am using SCVMM R2.

    This host was in workgroup mode ( which I prefer ), but as this is my Pilot Server, I added it to the domain and I renamed it. There where when the error appears.

    To workarround,  minutes ago, I removed the hyper-v role and then added it again. So, it's working now. but I am not happy with this solution. I will reproduce it again later, as this is my lab, and I will try to find other way to fix it.

    So for while thank you guys. 


    If this post is helpful, please mark it as such
    ________________________________________
    Alessandro Cardoso
    MVP | Microsoft Heroes | MCT
    blog: http://itaustralia.spaces.live.com
    http://cardosoalessandro.spaces.live.com
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 12:54 AM
  • This may have something to do with the server being renamed after joining the domain or possibly order of operations.  When you get around to further testing, try keeping the name of the server consistent throughout the tests.  As you know, the cert is tied to the server name.  This could possibly be the source of the issue. 

    When you have time for further testing, please reply back on this thread with any updates.  For now, I will archive the thread. 

    ___________________________________________

    Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

    Monday, July 05, 2010 4:27 PM
    Moderator
  • I get the same issue but my server is, from the begin, in a Ad 2003 domain.

    I haven't reinstall hyper-v because my server is in a failover cluster (fore hyper-v, of course) and I'm not sure of what process I ahev to follow in the case and what could be consequences of this act.

    So, I'm looking for another solution less brutal and more cerebral :)

    I'm ready to test any thing you want in order to resolve it. I created a new thread for my issue : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/0d764091-2c57-4045-bbc0-910db5b0feb6

    Please come on, you're welcome :)

    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:21 AM
  • This fixed the issue for me on Windows 8.1 Hyper-V
    Saturday, May 24, 2014 1:03 PM
  • saved my ass!
    Sunday, November 01, 2015 6:42 PM