none
P2V Error code 12703 when trying to convert source with SharePoint installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping for a little help solving this problem. I am trying to run a P2V conversion of a server running SharePoint 2010 using VMM 2012 SP1. The agent seems to install fine but the scan fails with the error code 12703.

I understand that it needs a certificate to be added to the VMM server as decribed below from the Technet error codes list but it doesn't say which one or where I find it or which one. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance.

VMM cannot establish a trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel for %ServerName; server.

Install the certificate to the trusted people root store of the VMM management server and then try the operation again

Darren

UPDATE:

I have found a certificate and exported that and then imported that on to the VMM server in the trusted people root store with the other certs. However I am still getting the error message as it runs through the Scan System routine.

Are there any logs that can be reviewed as I haven't been able to find anything on the Source server in the standard event logs?

Is there anything else I can try?

• Edited by Darren Thorley Monday, March 11, 2013 2:45 PM Additional information
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 1:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Brian (and anyone else who visits with a similar problem),

After working with Microsoft PSS for the last few weeks we have finally got to the bottom of what the issue is.

The problem is obviously certificate related but sort of NETBIOS related.

It appears that if you already have certificates installed on the machine to be converted that are used for server authentication the P2V agent can pick one of those (it could be random but we aren't sure).

The P2V agent does create it's own certificate but there is no guarantee that one will be used. If the agent doesn't pick it's own certificate there are problems with it exporting it and therefore the VMM can't import it.

The solution was to enable CAPI2 logging and establish which cert is being used. You can get this from the event log details and comparing the Certificate File Ref to the Thumbprint and/or Serial Number of the certs on the machined to be converted. Once that is done export that certificate and import it in to both the trusted people AND the trusted root stores of the VMM server.

We also had to perform an additional step to get the Scan to work. We had to use the FQDN of the client in all steps of the wizard rather than the Netbios name as that was what was in the subject name of the certificate that was being used.

Haven't actually done the conversion yet as there is a possibility that MS PSS will want to see if there is a way of forcing the P2V agent to use the certificate it has created instead of a random one. If there are further updates I will post them here but I wanted to get the workaround that moved this forward out there in case others need it.

Hope it helps.

Darren

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:36 AM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem but without SharePoint.

I don't even know what certificate it wants.

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Glad to know I am not alone - I was starting to wonder :). I think SharePoint may not be relevant as we have a Dev server that is set up identically to the server we are trying to convert and it Scans for the P2V conversion fine. I included it in case it was relevant and someone else had experienced this issue.

I've opened a case with Microsoft but apart from the automated response emails I haven't had any contact from someone who is going to troubleshoot the case. Hopefully that will change soon and if I get a solution I will post it the results here.

Darren

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Hi Brian (and anyone else who visits with a similar problem),

After working with Microsoft PSS for the last few weeks we have finally got to the bottom of what the issue is.

The problem is obviously certificate related but sort of NETBIOS related.

It appears that if you already have certificates installed on the machine to be converted that are used for server authentication the P2V agent can pick one of those (it could be random but we aren't sure).

The P2V agent does create it's own certificate but there is no guarantee that one will be used. If the agent doesn't pick it's own certificate there are problems with it exporting it and therefore the VMM can't import it.

The solution was to enable CAPI2 logging and establish which cert is being used. You can get this from the event log details and comparing the Certificate File Ref to the Thumbprint and/or Serial Number of the certs on the machined to be converted. Once that is done export that certificate and import it in to both the trusted people AND the trusted root stores of the VMM server.

We also had to perform an additional step to get the Scan to work. We had to use the FQDN of the client in all steps of the wizard rather than the Netbios name as that was what was in the subject name of the certificate that was being used.

Haven't actually done the conversion yet as there is a possibility that MS PSS will want to see if there is a way of forcing the P2V agent to use the certificate it has created instead of a random one. If there are further updates I will post them here but I wanted to get the workaround that moved this forward out there in case others need it.

Hope it helps.

Darren

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:36 AM