none
Create an E-mail subscription from one specific server-question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Im using Windows Server 2012 Scheduled Tasks MP to monitor Scheduled Tasks.

I want to create an e-mail subscription for when a certain task creates an alert on one specific server. The MP uses a "Scheduled Task Last Run Status"-monitor to monitor the tasks.

Now, when I right click on the alert for the failed task and choose "Notification subscription >> Create" the guide assumes I want to create a subscription for ALL alerts from ALL the servers associated with the monitor, not just this server. I want it only to email me when this particular task from this particular server creates an alert. How do I do that?

Help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Interestingly, while looking around, I found out that there seems to be some issue when you select the "raised by a specif instance" criteria in particular. Here's a reference:

SCOM Notifications Not Working:

apparently the "solution" is to create a group for such instances (a group with a single member in your case) and target that in the subscription and it should "work".

Why would it not work with just the instance name, is beyond me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers 

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by RonHextall Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can create it by selecting criteria "Created by specific rules or monitors (e.g., sources)" and "raised by an instance with a specific name". Additionally, would suggest you to filter it more based on severity, priority & resolution state.

Created by specific rules or monitors (e.g., sources) - Monitor/Rule Name

raised by an instance with a specific name - ServerName

(Please "Mark as Answer/Vote as Helpful" if applicable)

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:00 AM

• Thanks Sameer!

In the "raised by an instance with a specific name"-box, which object typ should I choose?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hello,

In the "Look for" field select "windows computer" object and in the "Filter by" type in the name of your server. It should show up in available objects from where you can select it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Hello,

In Object search window you have to select option "Any" & then in Filter by search server name. Now from available objects you can add "Windows Computer" but to get this work for all alert type (including computer not reachable, cluster related....) you need to add "Health Service Watcher" class also. Refer below screenshot:

(Please "Mark as Answer/Vote as Helpful" if applicable)

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

You only need to select these 3 things and provide the monitor name , in specific name select the server name which have windows computer and severity would be all as there are only one monitor so i guess it will not create more alerts.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Gourav (Please do take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) or find my Facebook and LinkedIn link in profile.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:47 AM
  • Thanks guys!

I've done this but the email just wont fire. I know that there is nothing wrong with our SMTP or anything, other alerts triggers as emails but this one just wont...any other suggestions?

I've tried with only configuring as in GouravIN's image but that doesnt work either. The alert fires but the e-mail doesnt come...

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Hello,

Interestingly, while looking around, I found out that there seems to be some issue when you select the "raised by a specif instance" criteria in particular. Here's a reference:

SCOM Notifications Not Working:

apparently the "solution" is to create a group for such instances (a group with a single member in your case) and target that in the subscription and it should "work".

Why would it not work with just the instance name, is beyond me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers 

• Marked as answer by RonHextall Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:18 PM
  • As Sam stated, please recheck all the things. 

And on top of that i need to know two things:- 

• What are you have given in return address while creating a channel.
    • And are you sure if SCOM floating alerts mail then it will be reaching to inboxes. it might be bouncing back, might be miss-configuration of mail ID.   

I suggest you to please provide your company ID in return adress of channel like "RONHEXTALL@company.com" then try to check alerts. 

The benefit of this if any error occurred during sending mails to given inboxes like bouncing back or blocked mail box then you will get a return receipt for the same.

I am suggesting this because same issues had occurred in my environment and i tried this and got to know that the given mailbox is blocked by firewall.   

Please update if this helps !

Cheers, Gourav (Please do take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) or find my Facebook and LinkedIn link in profile.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:59 AM
  • Hi!

Yes, thanks to Sam this is solved. Thanks!

I put the Windows Computer object in a group, targeted the group in the Subscription options and this time it worked every single time when the alert triggered.  Thanks everyone for all of your input and help.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:46 PM