none
AzureSiteRecoveryProvider.exe Fails to install RRS feed

• Question

• I was nearly at the end of the process to migrate my HyperV machines from a Physical Host to the Azure, but run into a roadblock installing AzureSiteRecoveryProvider.exe. See below:

"

My physical Host is running Windows 10 Pro 1903, it is not a Domain Controller obviously.

According to Azure Support the tool should work just fine with Windows 10.

Hyper-V Services are started and the Hyper V roles installed in full.

I am not sure how to progress this further and have been advised by Azure support to leave the message here.

Help please :)

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:26 PM

All replies

• Looks like you are trying to set up the configuration server for Azure Site Recovery on your physical host.

Operating system that support the agent installation is either 2012 R2 or 2016. Please refer to below URL

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/physical-azure-set-up-source

I am not sure where you found the reference to Win 10 or if you confused it with the supported OS for Site Recovery process ? 

Thanks

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:35 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for your reply.

I was on Chat with Azure Support. They supposedly "Checked" and told me that I should have no problems on Windows 10 as this utility support it and even goes back as far as Windows 8... So they told me to post the question here and ask why it doesn't install as they don't know...

Anyhow, all I am trying to do is to migrate VM's I have on my Windows 10 Physical Machine to Azure. I was lead to believe that the right way to do it is with Azure Migrate: Server Assessment and Azure Migrate: Server Migration tools. I simply got as afar as the tools discovering all my VM's but I am not able to "Replicate" or "Migrate" as it needs this utility installed.

I guess the only way for me would be to upload the .VHDX files manually and create VM's from the scratch on Azure.

Or is there a simpler way of doing it given that my Host is Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:17 PM
  • There are two things here:

1. Windows -10 is supported by ASR now, it doesn't mean you can treat windows-10 machine as an hyper-visor and migrate the VMs part of it. Though you protected the Wins-10 you can get those VMs as Hypervisor on Azure VM is not supported.

2. What Virtual machines are running on Windows-10 Host? You can try physical to Azure option for these VMs and hope you don't have to fail them back as its not supported.

• Proposed as answer by Mara Ram Saturday, October 12, 2019 2:05 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 2:05 PM