SQL Management Pack - Page Life Expectancy Alert RRS feed

• Question

• We have SCOM 2012 SP1 and SQL Management Pack 6.4.1.0 in our environment.   It seems that the majority of our SQL servers are reporting the Engine Page Life Expectancy error.  However when I look at the performance data, the alerts are triggering at random times even when according to the performance data, it is not even close to the threshold.  Even on the alert context, the value well above the threshold in most cases.  

When I look at the monitor in the Authoring pane, the configuration states the threshold and the interval but it does not state what counter it is looking at.  Not sure if that is normal.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.  I am about to disable the monitor since I am not getting consistant alerts

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi 

the counter and monitor is configured in the data source module for the monitor.

Counter : Page life expectancy

Object :SQL Server:Buffer Manager ( refer link for performance counter :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189628.aspx )

check the health explorer click on state change pane to see effective value of counter at that point of time.

for more information refer below link 

http://mpwiki.viacode.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=152262

Regards

sridhar v

• Proposed as answer by sridhar vishwanatham Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JesusChao Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Please also change the critical alert to a warning through creation of an override for all of these objects.

SQL SERVER – What is Page Life Expectancy (PLE) Counter
    http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2010/12/13/sql-server-what-is-page-life-expectancy-ple-counter/

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:39 AM
  • Thanks Sridhar and Niki.   That sort of answers only a side question to my original post. 

What I really need to know is if anyone else knows of or has experienced the issues where the monitor is alerting when the threshold is not being exceeded?   I cannot find any reason for this monitor to alert as often as it does.  To me it seems like a buggy monitor but I am not sure

Thanks,

Jesus

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Actually I looked at the Health Explorer/State Change for the Page Life Expectancy as you recommended and the values are correctly listed there but the alert context does not have the correct value which is strange. Not exactly sure why there is a correct value for the state change info but not for the alert context in the alert itself.

Also the performance counter chart does not show a dip when the alert occurs to correspond with the state change value.

Is this normal?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hi. I had the same queries on the same version.

In my environment the alert context is correct when a current alert, but if the alert has been (reset) auto closed and I'm looking at the closed alert then it shows the higher amount, the amount that resolved the alert and caused it to close. These alerts then correspond to the green ticked higher amount in the state change listings following the red crossed lower amounts.

The perf counter chart doesn't show a dip if you have really high readings as the scale is too big then. It can't show a reading of 20 against a another reading of 40,000. it just shows the lower reading as zero. If you narrow down the time frame to a specific very small window you should see your lower readings.

It's all a bit convoluted I've found(!) but hope this helps.

Monday, October 6, 2014 12:36 PM