none
SCSM Server with SQL 2008 Generating Error 28005 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I I have installed SCSM2010 on a pair of virtual servers.  One of the servers has the SQL 2008 install that is hosting both the ServiceManager and the DataWarehouse databases.  I am receiving the following error message multiple times per minute in my Application log.

Log Name:   Application

Source:    MSSQLSERVER
    Date:     5/19/2010 4:11:09 PM
    Event ID:   28005
    Task Category: Server
    Level:     Error
    Keywords:   Classic
    User:     N/A
    Computer:   SCSM01.domain.com
    Description:
     An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error: 15404, State: 19.
    Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'DOMAIN\SVC-svcmgr', error code 0x5.
    I have searched the net and the only references I have found to this error don't seem to apply since I am using a domain account for the SQL Server and SQL Agent services.  Any suggestions on where to go next to resolve this error?

UF, Dept of Medicine
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• We solved the problem.  The SQL service account needed to be part of a group called "Read Group Membership".  Once I added the account into that group and restarted the server the error cleared.
    UF, Dept of Medicine
    • Marked as answer by Eric S. Carr Monday, May 24, 2010 7:54 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• The domain account you are using is a member of the domain admins group?
    If not maybe it's possible to add the domain user to the domain admins group?
    Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Unfortunately I can't make the account a member of the Domain Admins group.  I have made it a local admin on the server that SQL and Service Manager are installed.
    UF, Dept of Medicine
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:07 PM
  • And now everything works fine?
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:54 PM
  • No its still generating the same error message.

From what I have been reading there seemed to be a similar problem with SCOM2007 and the solution I saw referenced was to make the account a domain admin, but then they came back and said they took that right away and it was still working.  I have been looking at our GPOs to see if something in there could be causing the issue, but so far nothing is jumping out.

I have SQL and SCSM running with two different accounts, I am wondering if I need to have all services running as the same account.

UF, Dept of Medicine
    Friday, May 21, 2010 5:03 PM
  • The article with the "make the account a domain admin" i found as well. For that reason i asked ;-)

And no. It's not needed to run all the services as the same account. In our environment the SQL-Server is running as "domain\sqlservice" and the SCSM-Service as "domain\SCSMservice". At the moment I'am not able to check if the accounts are "Domain-Admins". But will do that later.

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:22 PM
  • We solved the problem.  The SQL service account needed to be part of a group called "Read Group Membership".  Once I added the account into that group and restarted the server the error cleared.
    UF, Dept of Medicine
    • Marked as answer by Eric S. Carr Monday, May 24, 2010 7:54 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:54 PM
  • I had a similar issue, where both the SCSM and the SCSM DW servers were recording this 28005 error.

- SCSM 2010 SP1 with SQL 2008R2 on 2008R2 Std

- Each SQL server (on SCSM server and DW server) had its own domain account (call them DOMAIN\sqladmin1 and DOMAIN\sqladmin2 respectively)

- SCSM admin account was a domain account (call it DOMAIN\scadmin)

- None of these accounts are domain admins

Solution:

1. Navigate to user DOMAIN\scadmin in Active Directory Users and Groups

2. Right-click->Properties->Security tab

3. Add both users DOMAIN\sqladmin1 and DOMAIN\sqladmin2 and give them both Read privileges (which will give them a number of other privileges including Read Group Membership)

4. Errors should stop within one to two minutes of this change.

• Proposed as answer by TG99 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:45 PM