Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied RRS feed

• Question

• We are using OpsMgr R2.  On one of the monitored systems (2003 x64 system), we have a custom created rule that runs every 15 minutes.  The rule runs a vbscript.  On occasion, we get the following:

The Event Policy for the process started at 7:20:43 PM has detected errors in the output. The 'StdErr' policy expression:
    \a+
    matched the following output:
    C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 27\1673\my.vbs(15, 4) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied

Looking at line 15 of my code, I have:

WshShell.Run strCommand

The strCommand is just an "eventcreate" that works the majority of the time.

Ideas on what is failing and causes the permission denied?  Is it the wshell.run, is it the eventcreate? 

When this fails, does that rule get "turned off" for a while?  The rule failed last night (7:20 PM) and 16 hours (exactly) later, it was working.  Strangely, it should have kicked in this morning at 8:52 AM - but never did until 11:20 AM. 

Thank you,

Kate

Monday, November 22, 2010 10:14 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for your assistance.

The issue turned out to be an OS limitation, not an issue with OpsMgr.

A co-worker discovered the reason for this error (thanks Bob!).  It turns out that there is a character limitation with WshShell.Run.   When we run the eventcreate, the description is populated by a variable and was based on file names in a directory.  Over time, as more files were found in the directory, the description field became longer in detail.  We were hitting a limitation.

The logic has been reworked to avoid this issue.

Thank you,

Kate

• Marked as answer by KateAH Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• permission denied. i'd expect your action account doesn't have rights to perform this eventcreate (aa must be local admin). However i would expect an access denied to fail constantly.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

It also can be caused by the script itself. Please check if it is correct. I would like to share the following information for your referenc:

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/tabid/60/indexId/82594/tag/Forums/Default.aspx#vindex82615

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/06/29/getting-lots-of-script-failed-to-run-alerts-wmi-probe-failed-execution-backward-compatibility-script-error.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Rob...  I would agree.  It should fail constantly.  The action account is SYSTEM, so I don't think I have anything special there. 

Vivian... Please elaborate on the permission denied being caused by the script itself.  I took a closer look and the rule that is generating the alert is:  Workflow Initialization: Failed to start a workflow that runs a process or script

Thank you,

Kate

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Thank you all for your assistance.

The issue turned out to be an OS limitation, not an issue with OpsMgr.

A co-worker discovered the reason for this error (thanks Bob!).  It turns out that there is a character limitation with WshShell.Run.   When we run the eventcreate, the description is populated by a variable and was based on file names in a directory.  Over time, as more files were found in the directory, the description field became longer in detail.  We were hitting a limitation.

The logic has been reworked to avoid this issue.

Thank you,

Kate

• Marked as answer by KateAH Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Could you provide more information as to how this issue was resolved? I'm having similar issues. Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:38 PM