SCCM WSUS Sync Manager error 6700 RRS feed

• Question

• My SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER log is getting the following error every five minutes:

"SMS WSUS Sync Manager error.
     Message: CVarFile::SeekFirstRecord failed. CVarFile error: Record not found.
     Source: CWSyncMgr::ProcessSyncNotifications.
      The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error "

This message is also logged in the application event log with an error id 6700

This is on the primary/central server. 

WSUS itself seems to work, and the SCCM logs on the children sites also appear fine.

I can't run a synchronisation in SCCM.  All of my existing updates seem to be marked as expired, and I can't see any new ones.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the software updates site role on this server, but it hasn't made a difference.

Google has shown no results,

This is running SCCM 2007 SP2 R3 & WSUS 3.0 SP2, and has been working for the past couple of months since it was upgraded from SP1/R2.  I'm the only admin that touches this and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what has gone wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Check the Software Update Point Component Settings and the WSUS Administration Website.

Delete the Synchronization history in the WSUS console

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2009/03/04/clearing-the-synchronization-history-in-the-wsus-console.aspx

re-sync and see if there is the same error.

Check for Backlog or Corrupted files.

Go to the wsyncmgr.box, take backup of the files and delete the files to verify if the sync starts.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Jay Monday, September 5, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:02 AM

All replies

• Have you checked the below troubleshooting guide. The above error is explained over there

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735874.aspx

Anoop C Nair - Twitter @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:15 AM
  • Yes, I had a look at that.

My problem is not listed on that page. 

Also that page shows 670n event id's, mine is just 6700.

My WCM.log shows messages like:

Successfully connected to server: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx, port: 8530, useSSL: False

Successfully got update languages from WSUS Server

wsusctrl.log contains

The installed WSUS build has the valid and supported WSUS Administration DLL assembly version (3.1.7600.226)

Successfully connected to local WSUS server

Local WSUS Server Proxy settings are correctly configured as Proxy Name xxxxx and Proxy Port 8080

Which to me means that at least at some level it can talk to the WSUS server.

Using the WSUS.MSC I can see that WSUS is able to synchronise with Microsoft, and the downstream servers synchronise with the primary/central fine, so I think WSUS is working properly.

My event log and the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER logs are full of the error in my first post though, and the existing updates in SCCM have all expired and no new ones will come through.

Thanks for your reply though.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Did you check manuall sync?  Is it working? Anything changed interms of proxy ?

Anoop C Nair - Twitter @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:36 AM
  • The proxy hasn't changed at all.

By manual sync you mean right-click on the update repository and click synchronise now?

Tried that, it doesn't even leave a message in the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER log to say it's starting.

The only thing that goes in the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER log or WSYNCMGR.log is the error.  I'm guessing the thread actually dies because it says "Thread will restart in 5 minutes" and the errors are five minutes apart:

Log level 2

Error: CVarFile::SeekFirstRecord failed. CVarFile error: Record not found. Source: CWSyncMgr::ProcessSyncNotifications

STATMSG: ID=6700 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=XXXXXX SITE=XXX PID=4944 TID=10220 GMTDATE=Thu Sep 01 05:38:13.486 2011 ISTR0="CWSyncMgr::ProcessSyncNotifications" ISTR1="CVarFile::SeekFirstRecord failed. CVarFile error: Record not found" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

Thread will restart in 5 minutes.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

Check the Software Update Point Component Settings and the WSUS Administration Website.

Delete the Synchronization history in the WSUS console

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2009/03/04/clearing-the-synchronization-history-in-the-wsus-console.aspx

re-sync and see if there is the same error.

Check for Backlog or Corrupted files.

Go to the wsyncmgr.box, take backup of the files and delete the files to verify if the sync starts.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Jay Monday, September 5, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

When you uninstalled your scan tool (here is SUP role), all updates are set to expired. Re-insall SUP and a successful Sync will get them back to not expired. Thus, once your sync error not fixed, your updates will not get back to unexpired.

Have a look at this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939799(WS.10).aspx to make sure your WSUS is working.

Hope this will help.

Thanks

Friday, September 2, 2011 7:16 AM
  • It was some corrupted files in the wsyncmgr.box folder.  I deleted it's contents and SCCM worked like magic.

Once it had a chance to synchronise with Microsoft again all of my updates were marked un-expired again too.

So everything is working again now, thanks for your help everyone!

Monday, September 5, 2011 9:34 PM