none
Removing Legacy version specific SQL Discovery MP dependencies/references from sealed Replication MPs RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to transition in full to the SQL Version Agnostic MP but have the need to use the version specific Replication MPs.  Reading https://kevinholman.com/2019/06/12/how-to-transition-to-the-sql-version-agnostic-mp/ it's noted that:

"The Legacy SQL Replication MP’s are not supported with this MP for SQL 2012-2016.  The old Replication MP’s have dependencies on the Legacy SQL DB Engine MP’s and will need to be removed in order to remove all the old Legacy MP’s."  Which raises several questions:

1.  I've disabled the discoveries in the legacy version specific SQL discovery MPs so the items aren't duplicated with the new version agnostic MPs.  However since these SQL replication MPs have dependencies on the legacy discovery MPs, are the replication objects discovered?

2. The note says the "Legacy SQL DB Engine MP’s and will need to be removed in order to remove all the old Legacy MP’s.", but how does one do that to a sealed MP?

B. Wright

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Wright,

Thanks for your detail description.

For your question, here is the answer based on my understanding:

1. Based as my understanding ,the replication object discover depends on the Legacy SQL DB Engine discovered in the legacy MP. So I think it will not discover. For the later version, try to import the new replication MP instead the old one:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56204

2. The option is the same as unsealed MP. We need to remove the MPs which are depends on this MP before we remove the MP. We can check it on the MP properties:

Note: please do backuo before any deletion.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:58 AM
  • 1.  I've disabled the discoveries in the legacy version specific SQL discovery MPs so the items aren't duplicated with the new version agnostic MPs.  However since these SQL replication MPs have dependencies on the legacy discovery MPs, are the replication objects discovered?

2. The note says the "Legacy SQL DB Engine MP’s and will need to be removed in order to remove all the old Legacy MP’s.", but how does one do that to a sealed MP?

a) Remove all old SQL MP which include old version of SQL replication MP.
    b) use powershell cmdlet Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance to remove Legacy SQL DB object.
    c) Install new SQL and replication MP
    d) It will automatic discovery SQL DB instance and its replication

Roger
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Hi Wright,

How's everything going? Is there anything else we can help. If yes, feel free to let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

Long time not heard from you. For our thread, to make it clear, I will do a summary as below:

Questions and suggestions:

==============================

Q1:  I've disabled the discoveries in the legacy version specific SQL discovery MPs so the items aren't duplicated with the new version agnostic MPs.  However since these SQL replication MPs have dependencies on the legacy discovery MPs, are the replication objects discovered?

A1: Based as my understanding ,the replication object discover depends on the Legacy SQL DB Engine discovered in the legacy MP. So I think it will not discover. For the later version, try to import the new replication MP and Remove all old SQL MP which include old version of SQL replication MP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56204

Q2: The note says the "Legacy SQL DB Engine MP’s and will need to be removed in order to remove all the old Legacy MP’s.", but how does one do that to a sealed MP?

A2:  The option is the same as unsealed MP. We need to remove the MPs which are depends on this MP before we remove the MP. We can check it on the MP properties:

Note: please do backuo before any deletion.

Or use powershell cmdlet Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance to remove Legacy SQL DB object.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:20 AM
  • I'm still a little confused.  The only 'new' replication MP is for SQL 2017+ replication.  The previous versions of the replication MPs depend on the legacy SQL (discovery) MPs.  What I'm wondering is how to remove the dependency/reference from those legacy Replication MPs so I don't discover the SQL instances twice.  OR confirmation that if I disable the discoveries in the legacy MPs, will the replication objects still be discovered. 

B. Wright

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi Wright,

Thanks for your reply.

Based as my understanding, when we disable the discoveries in the legacy MPs, the replication objects for the legacy version will not be discovered which can  avoid duplication. But as the Legacy SQL Replication MP’s are not supported with this MP for SQL 2012-2016. It is still suggested to remove all the old Legacy MP’s.  For the dependency /references, it is defined in the MP. We need to remove all the other unsealed MP’s which depend on (reference) the MP we delete first, If all of these fail, then the course of action would be to create a temporary override MP, and disable the SQL seed class discovery: which mentioned in the article you provided.

Hope it can be clear for you. If there’s still anything clear, please let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

Friday, October 4, 2019 2:43 AM
  • Hi Wright,

This is Crystal again, I am writing to see if there's anything unclear of my previous reply. If yes, feel free to let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 4:57 AM