AD computer not discovered in SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that is listed in AD that is not being discovered by SCCM. When I search all devices for the computer name the search returns "no items found".  The computer exists in the same AD OU as many others that have been discovered. I can ping the machine so I know it exists and that it is active. I am not sure how to start troubleshooting this problem.

davidh

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:58 PM

Answers

• Check Adsysdis.log.

It can be a DNS error. You'll have the information in the logs. Use the search function to find your problematic machine in the log.

Benoit Lecours | Blog: System Center Dudes

• Proposed as answer by Benoit LecoursMVP Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by DAH69 Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:02 PM

All replies

• adsysdis.log

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Check Adsysdis.log.

It can be a DNS error. You'll have the information in the logs. Use the search function to find your problematic machine in the log.

• Proposed as answer by Benoit LecoursMVP Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by DAH69 Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:15 PM
  • I opened the log in Notepad and from the Edit menu chose Find and entered the name of the machine, but the search returns "cannot find "the machine name". Not sure what's going on here.

davidh

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:09 PM
  • If your machine was discovered a long time ago, maybe it's not in the log anymore.

Check Adsysdis.lo_ or just run a new discovery cycle.

To read log files, use CMTrace, much easier to use :)

SCCMInstallationMedia\SMSETUP\TOOLS\CmTrace.exe OR \SCCMInstallationFolder\Tools

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Thank you Benoit, CMTrace is a much nicer tool for this. I have learned something already.

A little over an hour ago I started a full discovery for Active Directory System Discovery from Administration work space Overview->Hierarchy Configuration->Discovery Methods. There are approximately 1300 devices in this environment, is it possible that the discovery has not completed? If so how can I tell when the discovery has been completed? 

davidh

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:23 PM
  • The same log will tell you. You'll see this line when it's complete :

INFO: -------- Finished to process search scope

*** Shutting Down ************************

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Benoit. The discovery just completed and now I am seeing the computer name in both the log and in the SCCM devices collection. Thank you very much for your prompt replies and your help. Have a great day.

davidh

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:40 PM