Install a Windows theme which is with extension deskthemepack RRS feed

• Question

• I went to the Microsoft site this morning and noticed that the deskthempacks have changed.

They now have the extension .deskthemepack, which I assume relates to Windows 8

Can these be installed on a Windows 7 machine, and if so, how?

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have found some info about this subject here if it helps

http://www.file-extensions.org/article/use-windows-8-desktop-themes-on-windows-7

• Marked as answer by MarkWallace Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:30 PM
    • Edited by Dalnar Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:57 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Marvelous Microsoft. You broke something that worked perfectly by make it more complicated for common people!!!

Michel

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:12 AM
  • I came across this freeware to install deskthemepack themes in Windows 7: Deskthemepack Installer for Windows 7
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Sunday, April 7, 2013 5:00 PM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 5:00 PM
  • "Deskthemepack Installer does not provide autocolorization of window frames and/or panoramic view of wallpapers like in Windows 8. It just converts Windows 8 themes into format compatible with Windows 7."

--If you can't use the panoramic function, what is the use of running the converter?

• Proposed as answer by dguirl Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Stay away from this utility, the author/publisher does not provide complete disclosure upfront. What's more, the utility download link is ambiguous and not clearly labeled, thereby forcing one to jump through all kinds of hoops unnecessarily. If the idea is to make a buck or if the utility is really shareware, this ought to be fully and clearly disclosed upfront in a human readable form...has all of the trappings of a marketing gimmick if you asked.
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 4:26 PM