none
Software Metering Reports Not Working

Question

•  

Dear All,

I have configured software Metering as follows:

1) Enabled Software Metering client Agent and scheduled it to run every day.

2) Added some Software metering rules for Word, Excel and Internet Explorer as follows:

a) Name : Microsoft Excel

b) File NAme: excel.exe

c) Original File Name: (nothing)

d) Version: *

e) Language: ANY

f) Site Code: KHI (my site name)

Note: Similar rules for Word and IE has also been created

3) The rule is enabled

4) Automatic Software Metering Rule Generation is configured as follows:

a) Data Retention : 10 Days

b) Percent at which rule should be auto-created: 10

c) Threshold: 100

Now when I look into the reports (after a week so that summarization can take place) , I do not see any usage report for these metering rules. all reports are BLANK.

Software Metering Summarization Process Report shows that the summarization process has taken place on an earlier date than the date when I configured these new rules which suggests that after I have configured, there have been no summarization and hence there are no Reports.

The mtrmgr.log file shows the following:

Creation event received for process 3496

Unable to collect process information as process has terminated

No usage will be tracked for process 3496, as failed to get owner info or executable file name 80004005

Termination event received for process 3496

No active process found with ID 3496

When I run Microsoft word I see the following in mtrmgr.log file

Creation event received for process 3180

Process ID 3180 is for process C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE

No matching rule found for process 3180

and, similarly when I run Internet Explorer, I see the following in mtrmgr.log file

Creation event received for process 2516

Process ID 2516 is for process C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

No matching rule found for process 2516

However, there are Enabled metering rules in place at the site server to track Word and IE usage with the same file names i-e WINWORD.EXE and iexplore.exe.

The SWMTRReportGen.log file only keeps on repeating these two lines:

CSWMtrReportEndpoint::HandleMessage- Report Endpoint invoked.

No usage data found to generate software metering report

The swmproc.log file shows the following:

Moving up to 2048 usage data files to the processing queue.

Moved 0 .MUX files from the inbox to the processing queue.

Moved 0 .MUV files from the inbox to the processing queue.

Moved 1 .MUX files from the retry queue to the processing queue.

Started the No. 1 usage processing thread, thread ID = 2498

Checking for Meter Rule changes on startup or polling interval.

Processing Meter Rule changes

ng XML meter rules file: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\swmproc.box\rules\MeterRules.MRX

New usage processing thread started, current usage processing thread count: 1

Checking for incoming summary data.

Checking for new metering rules to create.

End time is earlier than 90 days ago.

Error processing file 1zgosboo.MUX, file contains bad start or end time value.

Moving file D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\swmproc.box\process\1zgosboo.MUX to D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\swmproc.box\corrupt\1zgosboo.MUX

STATMSG: ID=5615 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_SOFTWARE_METERING_PROCESSOR" SYS=PPLKHIHO09 SITE=KHI PID=4616 TID=9368 GMTDATE=Tue Jun 03 06:32:36.873 2008 ISTR0="D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\swmproc.box\process\1zgosboo.MUX" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

STATMSG: ID=5614 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_SOFTWARE_METERING_PROCESSOR" SYS=PPLKHIHO09 SITE=KHI PID=4616 TID=9368 GMTDATE=Tue Jun 03 06:32:36.888 2008 ISTR0="1zgosboo.MUX" ISTR1="PCKHIDOD280" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

Main thread waiting for file change notification or timeout after 60 minutes. SMS_SOFTWARE_METERING_PROCESSOR 6/3/2008 11:32:37 AM 6308 (0x18A4)

Processed 1 XML files and 0 VAR files.

Disposition: 0 ok, 0 retry, 1 corrupt.

0 records added to database.

Usage processing thread terminating, current usage processing count: 0

-----*****----

What is wrong with my configuration which is stopping the summarization to take place. And How can I force the summarization. It has been more than a week since the new rules configuration so there is no reason for waiting for summarization to happen in future. It should have happened in the due time. But it hasn't. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

What cnahges should I made or what errors should I look for in my configuration. OR can anyone send me a sample metering rule for Office 2003 and 2007 word, excel, IE etc.so that I can check.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 6:34 AM

Answers

• Nope, sorry. If it is not reflecting the correct date, then either the data is not there, or there is some date or display issue. You'd have to contact product support as I've never seen or heard of that.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Data has to be summarized to show content for your reports. There are two tasks regarding summarizing, make sure you configure them:

• Summarize Software Metering File Usage Data.

• Summarize Software Metering Monthly Usage Data.

To force summarization you can run the tool runmetersumm.exe. The tool is located in the tools folder on your SCCM media.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 6:59 AM
  • Also, when did you create these rules and reports? By default your software inventory clients will check-in every 7 days with their data. It might just take a few days for information to populate.
    Tuesday, June 03, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Thanks,

where can I carry out the two mentioned tasks i-e

Summarize Software Metering File Usage Data.

Summarize Software Metering Monthly Usage Data.

Secondly, I think the data is not being sent to the Server for summarization. I just came across this error as well when I tried to run Internet Explorer.

Failed to get file path for process 920, will retry later.

I think its something wrong in the FILE NAME property of the metering rule. How can we browse and select the software to be metered as there are certain softwares which are not installed on Site Server so how can one browse to those files on clinet computers. Or the rules just need the name of the executable files to gather data.

Regards,

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:36 AM
  •  

Firstly, I have set the software metering client agent to run on daily basis during this test phase so that it doesn't take extra time and secondly, its been more than two weeks since I configured the rules, so if it is configured well and correctly, it should have populated, summarized or taken any required action whatsoever during this period of time.

I think there is something wrong with the file name. I mean when i click Browse, it takes me to the installed programs on SITE server. Now since I do not have Microsoft Office on the Site Server, so I cant possibly select any of Office application by browsing. So what I did, was to copy the executable file name for WORD, IE and EXCEL  i-e WINWORD.EXE, iexplore.exe and Excel.exe from my machine in the File Name field.

Am I doing right ? Or is there any other possible, easy practicable and convenient way to select File name and Original File name .

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:52 AM
  • In your client logs from the first post, it states:

No matching rule found for process 3180

That means the rules are not correct. Either the version, or the other properties. You could set the version to * to match any version.

Then the data needs to be summarized. If you don't want to wait for the two maintenance tasks to complete automatically, you can force summarization with the "runmetersumm.exe" tool from the Tools folder. You should only need to use it for testing however, them normal summarization should work fine for you.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Hi Wally,

I have used the below mentioned configuration for Office Excel 2007.

a) Name : Microsoft Excel

b) File NAme: excel.exe

c) Original File Name: (nothing)

d) Version: *

e) Language: ANY

f) Site Code: KHI (my site name)

Note: Similar rules for Word and IE has also been created

3) The rule is enabled

4) Automatic Software Metering Rule Generation is configured as follows:

a) Data Retention : 10 Days

b) Percent at which rule should be auto-created: 10

c) Threshold: 100

So I don't think there can be any issue related to Version or Language. Only thing that can be wrong is FILE NAME which I have copied from the Installation Folder in Program Files. I have written about the BROSE button as well in my previous post as I was unable to understand how does Browse works for Software Metering.

Your advice is required.

Regards,

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:08 AM
  • You browse to the executable file that you want imported. That will fill in the appropriate information, which can then be changed as necessary.

I might be wrong, but I believe you need the original file name entered. That is what we track against, as the user could rename the executable on their local system, so we use the original file name to match against what is really loaded in Task Manager.

Friday, June 06, 2008 3:45 AM
  • Hi Wally,

As advised, I tried running the Runmetersumm.exe from the tools folder, But I get the following error:

RUNMETERSUMM.EXE - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because baseutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Also, i was awaiting for your response for my last post.

Regards,

NAveed

Friday, June 06, 2008 5:10 AM
  • I responded to your last post, not sure what you are asking.

You have to run the runmetersumm tool from the install folder (Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Bin\I386).

Friday, June 06, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Thanks wally,

It was by mistake that i worte that. Got your replies.

I have now copied runmetersumm.exe  in Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Bin\I386  folder and have RUN it from there.

what should be I checking now..

I just checked ran Software metering summarization progress report after running runmetersumm.exe but it is showing me a date of 16th May for last Data Summarization.

Will it take some time to get the reports compiled or it should straight away show me that it was summarized today ?

Friday, June 06, 2008 6:20 AM
  • It should show you all data that it summarized, of course depending on what report you run, and how it is scoped/filtered/configured for dates.

Friday, June 06, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Hi Wally,

I just ran Software metering summarization progress report after running runmetersumm.exe but it is showing me a date of 16th May for last Data Summarization.

I don't see any summarization happening even after running the runmetersumm.exe.

• Proposed as answer by A. Zelaya Monday, October 01, 2012 2:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by A. Zelaya Tuesday, October 02, 2012 6:29 AM
    Monday, June 09, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Dear Wally,

Any new thoughts about how can this problem be resolved ?

Regards,

Naveed

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Nope, sorry. If it is not reflecting the correct date, then either the data is not there, or there is some date or display issue. You'd have to contact product support as I've never seen or heard of that.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I too had a same Problem got solved by running the runmetersumm.exe tool from tool kit. you can download this tool kit from the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29265

and perform following actions

1. On SCCM Server Machine, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. Type CD C:\Program Files (x86)\ConfigMgr 2012 Toolkit\ServerTools\
    3. TypeRunMeterSumm.exe CM_S01and then press Enter.
    4. Review the output of the RunMeterSumm command. Verify that the number of rows added to File Usage Summary is greater than 0.
    5. At the command prompt, type exit and then press Enter.

Thank you.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:02 AM