none
SCVMM 2012 RC to RTM upgrade

Question

• Is there a script to upgrade the SCVMM 2012 RC DB to RTM? Uninstalled SCVMM 2012 and trying to point the new install to the SCVMM 2012 RC DB... However it seems the installer cannot do the upgrade.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:58 AM

Answers

• Hello Everyone,

We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. Read on for a summary of the issue and a solution :).

When System Center 2012 – VMM RC released, our blog post was missing an important qualifying statement. The missing qualifying statement was that RC to RTM upgrade was supported for TAP customers only. When we realized the mistake, we updated the content on our team blog. However, that update did not propogate to other blog articles that key’ed off of that, such as the one many of you pointed to at http://blogs.technet.com/b/hectorl/archive/2011/09/08/system-center-virtual-machine-manager-vmm-2012-rc-now-available-for-download.aspx.

That said, we are making the RC to RTM upgrade tool accessible via Microsoft Support.  By opening a support incident with Microsoft support you can obtain the tool and documentation free of charge.  Please ensure to reference (Content id#): 2705942 when you call support.

Note also that this tool is specifically only for System Center 2012- VMM RC installations and will upgrade the RC database so that it can be used for RTM installation.

As previously stated, System Center 2012 – VMM RC is not supported in production environments for non-TAP customers.

Thank you!
    -System Center 2012 – VMM Product Team

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:17 AM

All replies

• Have same issue!!!!!!!!!

MCSE:S, MCSE:M, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, CCDA Infrastructure expert

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Same one!
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Got it works in my lab by uninstalling SCVMM 2012 RC keeping the database.

Then I 2 rows in table tbl_VMM_GlobalSetting. The rows I edited are property name "DatabaseVersion" and "QFEDatabaseVersion" to match version of Setup.exe rtm "3.0.6005.0" (rc value are "3.0.5007.0").

From that point I was able to successfully start the SCVMM console. I will try App Controller and SCOM Pro later today...

I will also run a schema compare to check if all the tables, stored procedures and views are the same as soon as I get few minutes for. I keep you posted.

• Proposed as answer by Randyisit Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Thank you. That did the trick.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Modifying the DB worked. Just did a quick database compare using Visual Studio, looks like there have been no changes to anything inside the database! Looks promising.
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Hello folks,

Please note that RC to RTM upgrade is supported only for TAP customers. Even if there are no db updates for RC to RTM db upgrade this time around, there are a few important stored procedure changes that are also part of the upgrade tool.

So the workaround being suggested is not a recommended one and is not supported.

-Chaitanya

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Thanks for the update :)
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Hello folks,

Please note that RC to RTM upgrade is supported only for TAP customers. Even if there are no db updates for RC to RTM db upgrade this time around, there are a few important stored procedure changes that are also part of the upgrade tool.

So the workaround being suggested is not a recommended one and is not supported.

-Chaitanya

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

==> Any chance that the upgrade tool could be made available? Or are we out of luck and will have to drop the 2012 RC database and start from scratch?
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:59 PM
  • That's for sure. I posted this workaround following the fact that users should only deployed SCVMM RC on lab/testing environment as the RC (like beta) suggest. This is my case.

Thanks for the precision Chaitanya ;)

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Not for 2012 RTM. But for 2012SP1 and above we will build the tool into the installer so that you dont have to go through this additional hoop.

-Chaitanya

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:55 PM
  • The download site for the RC said there was an upgrade path.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/hectorl/archive/2011/09/08/system-center-virtual-machine-manager-vmm-2012-rc-now-available-for-download.aspx

I think you are going to find a lot of people, me included, are expecting to be able to do so!!!

Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:16 AM
  • I agree Blair, we have already started using RC in production, with several VMs being created in our various private clouds every day. I set this up because the RC site said there would be a migration path between the two.

I will give the workaround a shot to see how the end result affects our environment.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Same story here, Brian and Blair.  Their site said there would be an upgrade path, so we installed the RC.  not cool.

K

Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:24 PM
  • When the 2012 RC was released, an RC to RTM upgrade path was assured.  
    Monday, April 09, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Well as far as I can tell, the workaround proposed in this thread seems to do the trick. I was able to import a backup of my db into my lab last night, modify the two rows and install RTM without a hitch. From what I can tell it is working, of course it can not communicate with our hosts since I am on a lab private network, but it appears all of our configuration is there.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:21 PM
  • I agree with Brian and the others - I was able to modify those 2 rows and get the install completed also.  I had to manually upgrade the agent on my 8 nodes (remote upgrade failed consistently).  I would love to see actual clarification from MS where they stand by the original commitments to this upgrade path.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:29 PM
  • When the 2012 RC was released, an RC to RTM upgrade path was assured.  
    It'd be good for to see an official reply as to why this no longer seems to be the case.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Same story as the other guys in this thread. This is rather unfortunate! 
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:00 PM
  • The download site for the RC said there was an upgrade path.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/hectorl/archive/2011/09/08/system-center-virtual-machine-manager-vmm-2012-rc-now-available-for-download.aspx

I think you are going to find a lot of people, me included, are expecting to be able to do so!!!

I agree, upgrade path was announced.

same issue here, you should consider release the tool as standalone.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. Read on for a summary of the issue and a solution :).

When System Center 2012 – VMM RC released, our blog post was missing an important qualifying statement. The missing qualifying statement was that RC to RTM upgrade was supported for TAP customers only. When we realized the mistake, we updated the content on our team blog. However, that update did not propogate to other blog articles that key’ed off of that, such as the one many of you pointed to at http://blogs.technet.com/b/hectorl/archive/2011/09/08/system-center-virtual-machine-manager-vmm-2012-rc-now-available-for-download.aspx.

That said, we are making the RC to RTM upgrade tool accessible via Microsoft Support.  By opening a support incident with Microsoft support you can obtain the tool and documentation free of charge.  Please ensure to reference (Content id#): 2705942 when you call support.

Note also that this tool is specifically only for System Center 2012- VMM RC installations and will upgrade the RC database so that it can be used for RTM installation.

As previously stated, System Center 2012 – VMM RC is not supported in production environments for non-TAP customers.

Thank you!

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Thank you for the update Chaitanya! Although, I am confused by a few parts of your post. Are you saying the upgrade tool is available to all partners now by opening a support incident with Microsoft and referencing that # you posted above? What about for those of us partners who have either used all of our available support contracts or have none to begin with? Is it required we pay the $269 fee to open a support ticket simply to receive the upgrade tool?

If so, how should the ticket be entered, looking through the options under VMM I don't see any options specifically for upgrade, so I would assume VMM > Setup > Other.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hello Brian,

Are you saying the upgrade tool is available to all partners now by opening a support incident with Microsoft and referencing that # you posted above?
    Yes.

What about for those of us partners who have either used all of our available support contracts or have none to begin with?
    It shouldnt matter. Even if you have support contracts this call made to receive the tool itself (documentation is packaged with the tool) should not count agaist your existing contracts.

Is it required we pay the $269 fee to open a support ticket simply to receive the upgrade tool?
    There should not be a charge for this call to get the tool but i will let DeWitt from our CSS team to post in detail for exactly how it will work.

If so, how should the ticket be entered, looking through the options under VMM I don't see any options specifically for upgrade, so I would assume VMM > Setup > Other.
    Yes. Setup->Other should be fine. Make sure you mention that you are calling to get the db upgrade tool.

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:58 PM
  • >> Is it required we pay the $269 fee to open a support ticket simply to receive the upgrade tool?
    >> There should not be a charge for this call to get the tool but i will let DeWitt from our CSS team to post in detail for exactly how it will work.<o:p></o:p>

At the recommendation of the Product Group, we, CSS, are treating this file request much like we do hotfix requests. <o:p></o:p>

If you are charged* when creating a support request, we are directing the support professionals to close the request against the content id# 2705942 which would prevent any charges* from actually being processed.

This is only for the file request. If you have other questions or issues that you would like to address with support, a support request will need to be created which will be charged based on the payment method you select.

*Charges = credit card, support incidents, hours.

Hope that helps!
    DeWitt

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Tried to call into support and they dont know what a "ContentID" is. Someone is having to research this and call me back.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:17 PM
  • I opened at ticket online and I now have the tool.

Thanks, Microsoft, for making this right!

Kerry

K

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Argh I called Microsoft support but they couldn't find anything with that ContentID number (#2705942).

Can anyone send it? <3 <3 <3

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:30 PM
  • You can also say KB# 2705942 when referring to the Content ID.

If you send me your case#, I’ll follow-up with the support engineer.

My email address is jeffpatt at microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Thanks so much for the response Jeff, I flicked you an email before.

Nobody at MS Support could find the KB, nor could I raise a case. zzzz

Recreating our SCVMM database would make my eyes bleed.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:46 AM
  • I went the online way and put my support incident in on the web, I did have to type a CC number but it wasn't charged. I had the tool in less than an hour.

Thanks Steve B/Somaning T, both very helpful.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Can someone please post a link to the actual tool - I have called Microsoft numerous times and they have no idea what I'm talking about.  Much appreciated.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Hi

Tool's name "Microsoft System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager Upgrade Tool.EXE" and it has doc "Upgrading System Center 2012 - Virtual Machine Manager from RC to RTM"

I'm not sure that I can give this tool to you due to the EULA, so I guess that you should to MS and give link to this thread...

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Thank you!

Chaitanya Garikiparthi

Can you confirm this works worldwide ? Microsoft Russia tel support declined my request - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ru-RU/infrastructureru/thread/6c10f93b-8fac-46c4-b270-1f4e59f3162e/ (in russian)

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Try to create the request via the WEB. I'm from Moscow and Andrey Kazakov from MS Technical Support helps me in 1 day
    Friday, June 22, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Chaitanya,

please make it available on skype drive ... we are MS Partner but we can't log call in MS as our partner support hours lapsed, now they will charge for logged calls, please suggest..

Thanks

Kirpal Singh

Kirpal Singh

Monday, August 06, 2012 11:42 AM
  • if anyone has tool, please upload it  in Skydrive and make it available globally .

Kirpal Singh

Monday, August 06, 2012 11:44 AM
  • I do not believe the EULA allows any of us with the tool to share it globally. If you open the support ticket online, I can confirm that you will not be billed for anything.
    Monday, August 06, 2012 1:03 PM
  • when i am opening support ticket online it is asking for content id and access id ... and (Content id#): 2705942 is not working.

Kirpal Singh

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:35 AM
  • If anyone have this tool, please send it to me on my mail.

kirpalkaushalmzi@hotmail.com

Kirpal Singh

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:47 AM
  • No, it doesn't work. It say it work vor RTM and SP1 Beta. Thank you...
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:41 PM