System Centre 2012 + SQL + Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• I was hoping to clear up some licencing confusion...

We have a SQL 2008 R2 standard machine already in our environment but it handles various other things so we never used it for system center products before as the ones we used came with their own express editions. when reading the requirements for system center 2012 we see express editions are no longer supported.

I think that system center 2012 comes with a SQL licence, is that right?

If it does then I'm guessing we can only have one single installation for all of the system centre 2012 products?

Ideally we would have liked to keep DPM on its own SQL installation because, well what if the remote SQL server DPM is running from messes up and needs recovering, DPM will be down so it will be useless.

Any way, apart from that I have been told to keep the SC2012 databases off of the main SQL installation we have so what are my options Licencing wise?

I'm hoping I could have DPM on its own sql, and the other products on another SQL installation but I have this nagging feeling we would need to buy another SQL licence for that.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hello Ross87,

It is for whole suite of applications in one SQL.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

• Marked as answer by Ross87 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Ross87,

The SQL version in System Center 2012 do not need product key.

For the usage information ;

System Center and SQL Server

All of the System Center products include SQL Server technology. Microsoft's licensing terms for these products allow you to run one instance of the SQL Server technology in one physical or virtual operating system environment (OSE) on one server, but only to support the System Center software. SQL Server client access licenses are not required for that use.

You may also create and store any number of instances of SQL Server technology on any of your servers or storage media solely to exercise your right to run an instance of that technology under any of your software licenses.

Hope that it gives an idea.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Hi Murat,

That's definitely given me a better idea, is the licence that's included per system center application or is it per the whole suite of applications?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hello Ross87,

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

• Marked as answer by Ross87 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Hello Ross87,

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

Murat, I'm not sure if that is correct. System Center 2012 gives customers the right (for free) to install and run SQL Server Standard edition instances to support System Center 2012 products. However, these instances may not be used for other workloads. From a licensing perspective, I believe the SQL databases do not have to reside in 'one SQL' as you put it.

My Microsoft Core Infrastructure & Systems Management blog - blog.danovich.com.au

• Proposed as answer by danovich_ Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:43 AM
  • You're on the right track, terminology used around SQL can confuse the matter.

SQL Instance - Distinct installation of SQL, typically used to support different collations, security boundaries or physical resource allocation. There can be one or many SQL instances installed on a windows server 

SQL Server - A windows server running one or more SQL instances

SQL licensing - is per processor(per core for SQL 2012) or per server + cal(cal is for each user or device that connects to SQL). Note: licensing is not affected by number of SQL Instances installed on the server.   

Some System Center products require different collation settings to others so in order to run multiple System Center products you may need to install multiple instances of SQL server. If you have multiple SQL instances (e.g. one for SCSM and one for SCOM) on a single server you do not need to purchase any SQL licenses for that SQL server. If you install additional SQL Instances on that same server that support other non system center applications then you will need to purchase the appropriate SQL licenses for the SQL server. 

Hope this helps
    Friday, June 14, 2013 4:02 AM
  • So if i use one SQL server for SCOM and another sql server for sccm , do i need to buy addition license ?
    Friday, January 6, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

SCOM and SCCm are both System Center applications. you will Need a second SQL Server License if you wants to install SQL for NON System Center applications.

thanks

diramoh

• Edited by diramoh Friday, January 6, 2017 11:06 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 11:06 AM
  • Thanks , to clarify once we can use different standalone SQL standard edition  server for all 7 tools in system center without any licensing charge ?
    Friday, January 6, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

yes, but for confirmation and more Details, contact Microsoft licensing support Team in your Region

thanks

diramoh

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:53 PM