SCCM 2012 R2 - Add new AD Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

i am pretty new in the SCCM World. I currently try to discover new created Computer Objects in the AD to the SCCM - the SCCM find the new Computer Object during the discovery but will not add it as an Device. I also got an Error Message:

ERROR: System TEST-SYSTEM is a unsupported operating system, unsupported version, or malformed AD entry. Reported system type is:  ().

Before I see that the Property Operating System, OperatingSystemVersion and dNSHostName is not set - what is clear because it is a brand new created. 

But i need the Object to make it available in the Collection and Terminate what Programs will be installed in the Deployment Task sequence.

Is there a way to discover brand new AD Computer Objects to the SCCM Database without having that Properties set?

Regards,

Daniel

Friday, September 5, 2014 6:19 AM

Answers

• You can either use unknown computer support to deploy a task sequence or import the name and MAC/SMBIOSGUID (=manual machine entry). The server won't discover those objects because of the missing properties (name resolution would also be required).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Matteo C Friday, September 5, 2014 7:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, September 15, 2014 7:23 AM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 6:25 AM
  • ConfigMgr never interacts with AD directly (except when discovering resources). You can't use discovered resources from AD when it comes to PXE boot because that record would be missing the MAC address.
    Membership of collections is based on the rules being used.
    There's a default collection that contains the unknown computer objects (x86 and x64). Think of them as being placeholders for systems that are not (yet) known to ConfigMgr. They can run the task sequence(s) that is/are deployed to them.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:58 AM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 8:01 AM

All replies

• You can either use unknown computer support to deploy a task sequence or import the name and MAC/SMBIOSGUID (=manual machine entry). The server won't discover those objects because of the missing properties (name resolution would also be required).

• Proposed as answer by Matteo C Friday, September 5, 2014 7:07 AM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Thanks for your replay Torsten - but how the Unkown Computer knows what Operating System needs to be deployed?

On my installation that will be done by membership in some Device Collections. The Membership on Device Collections will be based on the Distinguished Name of the AD Object. So without AD Object - if i understood the structure of SCCM correct - no Membership in my Device Collections and therefore no decision what operating System will be installed.

Or will the SCCM check before if an AD Object is already created and create then a Device in my Device Collections?

Thank a lot

Daniel

Friday, September 5, 2014 7:31 AM
  • ConfigMgr never interacts with AD directly (except when discovering resources). You can't use discovered resources from AD when it comes to PXE boot because that record would be missing the MAC address.
    Membership of collections is based on the rules being used.
    There's a default collection that contains the unknown computer objects (x86 and x64). Think of them as being placeholders for systems that are not (yet) known to ConfigMgr. They can run the task sequence(s) that is/are deployed to them.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:58 AM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 8:01 AM