none
Restore domain controller - Exchange behave RRS feed

• Question

• My DC needs to be restored from a 2 month old copy due to corruption in AD. In the 2 month period there isn't add new accounts, mail boxes etc.

How is Exchange going to react on this - is there certain steps to follow?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Regamoks,

Could I know how do you backup DC? How to restore depends on the back-up way. 

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:51 AM
  • I'm using Hyper-V  i.e. the restore is an import of an earlier "export" (complete DC at that given time).

/lars

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:16 AM
  • According to my research, restoring a DC should not affect Exchange if the domain information hasn’t been changed.

Do you backup using Windows backup?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Have Exchange server been updated during that time? It could be an issue if schema was updated and it is not in your backup. Otherwise you should follow this guide for AD recovery: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/ad/backing-up-and-restoring-an-active-directory-server

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:01 AM
  • hello,

you have only one DC in your Domain ?

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Exchange 2016 is running CU10 from jan 2019 i.e. no update - but the win2016 hosting the Exchange has been updated.

The DC (only one) runs on an other installation (actually 2 Hyper-v: DC & Exch)

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:37 AM
  • I am afraid there is no magical trick.
    Having a single DC and Exchange in production is just ... suicidal.

When you're going to restore your DC, Exchange gonna blow.
    All your mailboxes and your Exchange organization have updated stuff in your AD in the last two months.
    After your DC restore, Exchange services will have to look for its properties with OLD values.

Mail data will be intact.
    But all Exchange objects have "lived" and performed changes in your AD.

Do not expect to have a working Exchange after the DC restore.

Florent

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:03 PM
  • I'm wondering how is eveything going no with this issue.

Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:10 AM