none
Network Performance Counters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm in the process of deploying SCOM 2007 R2 & have an issue with the Windows Server MP Network Adapter Utilization not populating the graphs - but only on my SCOM servers (RMS,MS,DB). On all other servers with the agent deployed the graphs are populated OK. My servers are all a mix of 2003 R2 & 2008, 32 & 64 Bit. My SCOM servers though are 2008 R2 & I wondered if this could be the cause of the issue. Note the servers are physical & not VM's.
    Has anyone seen this behaviour before? - any guidance appreciated.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:26 PM

Answers

• The Base OS MP does not discover or monitor network teams correctly - as these are proprietary drivers creating the team and not default windows network interfaces.

This is why you see these.

These should be monitored by the hardware MP for which you were supplied the teaming drivers.... Dell, HP, IBM, etc...
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hey Douks, by default only enabled network adapters are discovered by default, try enabling the enabled and disabled discoveries (goto authoring\discoveries and scope and search on network adapters), I had this issue with one customer and enabling these rules allowed me to see the data, I then just removed the overrides afterwards.
    It may not be the problem in your case but it might be worth a shot.

Let me know how you get on,

Gordon.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Thanks for the tip Gordon.

I tried enabling the discovery of disabled network cards as suggested, but no change. What I've noticed...

The servers each have 10 NIC's, two of which are HP Teamed to a virtual adapter & the rest of which are disabled. SCOM has discovered the two NIC's that make up the team, but is not getting any performance data. The Team adapter is not even discovered. When I look at the HP networking tools on the server, or in performance monitor directly on the server I can see the performance data OK.

On digging some more I've noticed the following in the SCOM event log on the servers when the health service starts...

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Network Interface, Bytes Total/sec, HP Network Team _1 in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.NetworkAdapter.BytesTotalPerSec.Collection

Instance name: HP Team

Instance ID: {407D31D1-7799-9E64-B629-61F807B3D0DD}

I'm wondering if this could be a WMI problem, or something related to the HP NIC & Team drivers.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:51 AM
  • The Base OS MP does not discover or monitor network teams correctly - as these are proprietary drivers creating the team and not default windows network interfaces.

This is why you see these.

These should be monitored by the hardware MP for which you were supplied the teaming drivers.... Dell, HP, IBM, etc...
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:02 AM
  • HI,

I bumped into the same issues with W2K08 R2 physical servers running on HP hardware with HP based NIC Teams. After some thinking I found a workaround which I also posted on my blog: http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2010/07/workaround-for-physical-windows-2008-r2.html

Hope this helps you as well.

Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Friday, July 30, 2010 11:41 AM