none
The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

Question

• I've searched and searched and search, only got until sept to virtualize this server and migrate it to SBS 2008.  lucky me considering i just graduated from college. Anyway here are the details.

Small Business Server 2003 with SP2
    Using SCVMM 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 box with Hyper-V
    I am using the convert physical computer section
    I fill out the IP, domain admin account and password (I want to try a local admin account but for some reason I cannot find the local admin username or password anywhere)
    I have successfully converted a Server2003 box as a test before doing the SBS.
    When I goto "Scan System" i get this error and cannot find anything on google or technet that helps me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the agent <IP ADDRESS> was lost.

Ensure that the computer <IP ADDRESS> exists on the network, WMI service and the agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTP and WMI traffic.

ID: 3157
    Details: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can ping from both machines successfully
    This is our only DC on the network which also does our exchange.

Anyone got anything I can try out?

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:05 PM

Answers

• p2v uses WMI for source machine communication.
    please check firewall and wmi settings on the physical machine to convert
    Caglar --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:42 PM

All replies

• Error says RPC service is unavailable. Remote Procedure call can be blocked by the firewall. On the command prompt type winrm quickconfig and that will create a firewall exception. IF this doesnt work try to check your dns settings. Can you ping the FQDN of the target server ?
    Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT http://hyperv.virtualozzy.com (Your step to Virtualization) Please mark as an answer if you feel it is.
    • Proposed as answer by Manoj J Gupta Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Manoj J Gupta Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Manoj J Gupta Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:05 AM
  • I tried the winrm quickconfig command and sbs2003 doesnt recognize this command.
    I can also ping the FQDN of the target server.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:16 PM
  • then you can try shutting down the firewall and make sure Remote procedure call service is running. You can check it throught services.msc
    Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT http://hyperv.virtualozzy.com (Your step to Virtualization) Please mark as an answer if you feel it is.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:54 AM
  • p2v uses WMI for source machine communication.
    please check firewall and wmi settings on the physical machine to convert
    Caglar --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:42 PM
  • it looks like i was able to scan the system.  i entered the computer name instead of the domain name.  I will be attempting the virtualization tongiht after hours since it is our DC and need to do an offline
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I was  unable to ping FQDN of target server.But its worked for me after doing FQDN entry of target server  in host file of Management Server.

Thanks a lot ...

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:03 PM