none
Problem with inetres.admx

Question

• Suddenly when opening Group policy manager and checking group policy settings, i get this:

Resource '$(string.SUPPORTED_IE11WIN8)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 184, column 87

I tried copying same file (dated 14.11.2015) from another server > no change. Then downloaded newer version (dated 3.8.2016) and got this:

Resource '$(string.SUPPORTED_IE9_IE11NONWIN10)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 162, column 103

Nothing GP related has been changed in weeks and old template has not given any errors before this.  Similar errors before were fixed with replacing file with another copy or updating to newer version. Server is 2008R2 std sp1

Any ideas what to try next?

Monday, September 26, 2016 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

The error indicates that there's a inetres.admx error in template, so the template might be corrupted.

I notice that you have already tried replacing the inetres.admx, please also try to replace the whole PllicyDefinitions folder to have a test.
    1. Visit the following link and download the Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6243
    2. Install the msi Win7-2008R2-admx.msi.
    3. Rename or Move the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions to another location with the folder PolicyDefinitions created in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows7-2008R2\PolicyDefinitions" to "c:\windows".
    4. Make sure backup the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions before the replace / rename.
    5. Reboot (Optional).

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

The error indicates that there's a inetres.admx error in template, so the template might be corrupted.

I notice that you have already tried replacing the inetres.admx, please also try to replace the whole PllicyDefinitions folder to have a test.
    1. Visit the following link and download the Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6243
    2. Install the msi Win7-2008R2-admx.msi.
    3. Rename or Move the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions to another location with the folder PolicyDefinitions created in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows7-2008R2\PolicyDefinitions" to "c:\windows".
    4. Make sure backup the folder C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions before the replace / rename.
    5. Reboot (Optional).

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:19 AM
  • We have the same Problem on Windows Server 2012R after installing 3185319
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

According to my research, KB 3185319 installs the files including inetres.admx.

Please try both temporary removing this update or the method I mentioned in my last reply.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, October 06, 2016 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for answers. I had some medical issues and been out, thus unable to test anything yet. Now back in business and will try suggested things asap.

-jarkko-

Monday, October 10, 2016 9:21 AM
  • That error occurs when there is a mismatch of the .adml versus .admx version.

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

• Proposed as answer by Rolf Lidvall Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:18 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 11:23 AM
  • I have now replaced the whole PolicyDefinitions directory with files from download link. All GP settings are now visible without any error messages.

How ever, there is now section called "Extra Registry Settings" with list of settings under it. I guess these are newer (win10) related settings.

Should i replace contents of PolicyDefinitions directory with some newer admx template package, and which one?

Sorry for simple questions... We are quite new with MS AD environment and still learning to manage it our selves :)

-jarkko-

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 10:47 AM
  • > How ever, there is now section called "Extra Registry Settings" with
    > list of settings under it. I guess these are newer (win10) related settings.

newer - or older - or custom. extra reg settings are settings in a GPO
    where no matching ADM template exists.

If these are MS GPO settings, you can check gpsearch.azurewebsites.net
    for their origin.

> Should i replace contents of PolicyDefinitions directory with some newer
    > admx template package, and which one?

Newest - as always :)

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Couldn't quite catch how that gpsearch site works and could not find those extra settings there. I do think they are mostly W10 related, e.g. "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\AllowCortana"

Latest admx package i could find is this: ... for windows 10 and windows server 2016 (published 8/5/2016). Should i use that even when all our servers are 2008R2 and workstations W7-W10?

Updating is same "replace all PolicyDefinitions folder content"? Should i do that on all servers?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 6:03 AM
  • > server 2016 (published 8/5/2016). Should i use that even when all our
    > servers are 2008R2 and workstations W7-W10?

Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:16 PM