none
Installing SCOM 2012 Management server RRS feed

• Question

• i am installing SCOM 2012 on a cluster SQL instance called "cdb2sqlnet\cdb2active"

there is a firwall between cluster SQL and MS

sdk user + action user are added to be SA on SQL + local admin on the nodes and on the MS

sql vision = 2008 r2 sp1

ports from MS (Ray1) to SQL Custer is opend Bidirectional 

SQL port 52247 

135 TCP

139 TCP

445 TCP

137 UDP

138 UDP

Ports 49152-65535  TCP

when i start the installation.. i got this error

i upload scom setup logs to http://rapidgator.net/file/40082858/LOGS.zip.html

• Edited by Abu-Obaid Friday, September 7, 2012 2:19 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:14 PM

Answers

• solve the issue

You will need to Unregister Windows Installer and then reregister Windows Installer.

- open elevated command prompt

- On the  "Start" menu, click  "Run”

-  In the  "Open" box, type  "msiexec /unreg" and then press ENTER.

-  On the  "Start" menu, click  "Run"

-  In the  "Open" box, type  "msiexec /regserver" and then press ENTER.

after that setup went well :)

thank guys 

• Marked as answer by Abu-Obaid Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:21 AM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you're problem might be in this line taken from the log file:

[16:12:05]: Error: :FATAL ACTION: ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAndActionAccount

The account you use to run the setup with needs to have a SQL login and SA rights on the SQL server you are planning the databases on. For the account being a domain admin is not enough when you have a SQL 2008 server. My advise would be to run the setup under the service account you will be using for Data Access Config. Why? This account will be the OWNER on the databases the install creates.

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:12 PM
  • i have SCOMSDK user that local admin on the cluster nodes and sysadmin on the Sql 2008 r2

and for Action acount .. it has Sysadmin on SQL and domain administrator

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:33 PM
  • also make sure that the sdk and action account are a member of the scom admins group you selected during the setup.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:50 PM
  • they are part of it .. but as you know they remove this from 2012 installation wizard .. you just provide service account not a group .

thanks anyway

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:01 PM
  • You are so right, it is no longer part of setup in 2012. It takes the two accounts specified during the setup and assigns them rights in the operationsmanager database. And builtin\administrators is set as om admins at first. Can you check if a database gets created at all? I see you created an accent above where the sql port is defined. DOesnt look like a default port to me. I know during setup you can specify a sql port to use and that should work out. along with the sql server name and instance name. make sure its netbios\instance name as you indicated above already. But I see in the log it does connect to the db, has some failures, but recovers and moves on to run a number of the sql scripts from setup. Martijn did already find where it gives the fatal error causing the installation to stop. I will post the larer piece of code below where it seems to go wrong. Dont know why it times out there though.

[16:11:51]:	Always:	:Current Action: ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAccount
    [16:11:51]:	Info:	:   This method was not run for this setup operation.
    [16:11:51]:	Info:	:ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAccount completed.
    [16:11:51]:	Always:	:Current Action: ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAndActionAccount
    [16:11:51]:	Always:	:ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAndActionAccount: GetActionAccountForDB.
    [16:11:51]:	Info:	:Info:Connecting to Remote SQL server cdb2sqlnet
    [16:11:51]:	Always:	:GetActionAccountForDB action account for DB is BB\svc-scomaction
    [16:11:51]:	Always:	:ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAndActionAccount: configuring dbmodule_users role
    [16:11:51]:	Info:	:Info:Using DB command timeout = 1800 seconds.
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:Exception running sql string [NOT DEFINED]: Threw Exception.Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131904, Exception.Message: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:StackTrace:   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, TimeoutTimer timeout)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.DBConfigurationHelper.DBConfiguration.RunSqlCommandsList(IEnumerable`1 sqlCommands)
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:ConfigureDBForSQLLogins failed: Threw Exception.Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131904, Exception.Message: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:StackTrace:   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, TimeoutTimer timeout)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.DBConfigurationHelper.DBConfiguration.RunSqlCommandsList(IEnumerable`1 sqlCommands)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.ServerConfiguration.ConfigureDBForSQLLogins(String omSqlServer, Nullable`1 port, String omDatabaseName, String accountForDB, String roleName)
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:Error:ConfigureDBForSQLLogins failed for action account
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:FATAL ACTION: ConfigureDBForSQLLoginsSetRolesForDasAndActionAccount
    [16:12:05]:	Error:	:FATAL ACTION: FirstServerActions

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Saturday, September 8, 2012 8:40 AM
  • OperationsManager DB actual is created and setup start installing the MS...and i get green mark for "Operational database configuration

and when i checked services on the MS .. scom services are there But rolling back happens and they get removed.

and then i get the error shown in the screenshot above.

and the "Operational database configuration"  become warning mark not green

Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:19 AM
  • A similar thread came up a few weeks ago which sadly I can't find. They resolved it as being part of the web server components which somehow the pre-install check did not catch.

Ideally, if you are installing the web console server as part of the install, could you perhaps try the install without selecting that component (it can be added later).

Alternatively, can you do the following:

1) Open a Command prompt window by using the Run As Administrator option and then run the following command:

%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -r

2) Installation of the web console requires that ISAPI and CGI Restrictions in IIS be enabled for ASP.NET 4. To enable this, select the web server in IIS Manager, and then double-click ISAPI and CGI Restrictions. Select ASP.NET v4.0.30319, and then click Allow.

3) Reboot and then try to reinstall.

Cheers

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:36 AM
  • thank you for this .. already test that.. in my installation .. only management server is selected for installation (not even scom console )

Saturday, September 8, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Hi

Can you also check the SQL Server error log and windows application log on the SQL Server for any errors.

You seem to have all the ports covered - http://blogs.inframon.com/post/2012/05/21/Installing-the-Operations-Manager-2012-Database-Through-a-Firewall.aspx - so it would be interesting to see if it is a failure connecting to SQL or a failure while actually connected and attempting to do something.

Would also be worth checking for kerberos or authentication errors in the system log on both the MS and SQL - Event ID 4 in the system log might shed further light.

Cheers

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:07 PM
  • solve the issue

You will need to Unregister Windows Installer and then reregister Windows Installer.

- open elevated command prompt

- On the  "Start" menu, click  "Run”

-  In the  "Open" box, type  "msiexec /unreg" and then press ENTER.

-  On the  "Start" menu, click  "Run"

-  In the  "Open" box, type  "msiexec /regserver" and then press ENTER.

after that setup went well :)

thank guys 

• Marked as answer by Abu-Obaid Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:21 AM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Great, just for your reference it sometimes happens that an installation goes wrong due to a non-default SQL port. In that case run the installer from command line as stated by Jonathan in an answer in the following thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagerdeployment/thread/bc6e0b35-fdc4-400e-a557-17bb164e03d6

Good luck!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:53 AM