none
Import devices (computer information) into Configuration Manager 2012

Question

• I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks - can't be this difficult, it's a basic function!

I can import individual devices into Config Mgr, but the Import Comp. Inf. Wizard doesn't work - I have a single device to import (for testing) - no joy. I have the machine name, mac address, and UUID - I create a very simple .CSV with ONE computer in it, I've tried all the variations, verified the info about the machine is correct, and it errors out every time. I can use the EXACT SAME INFO to input just one machine manually - and it works.

I have over 500 machines to get into this system - I have no intent to manually input 500 machines. I have already spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this - is it really this difficult to make System Center do it's job?

This is the total content of the .CSV import file - I can matchup the fields, the import starts - and errors out, nothing installed.

name,objectGUID,macaddress
    CAL-W7-7912-1,a00c73085f4be94c8f573cd3a8fbad96,d6-54-40-0c-3f-de

I would really appreciate some input - I must be getting it wrong somehow - I don't believe for a second it's so difficult to do this.

So - call me an idiot, and show me how to do better - I'd really appreciate it.

What am I doing wrong? THANKS!!!!

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:05 PM

Answers

• I would not import all three values, but limit to the name and mac address.

If I recall collect, you should use a syntax like:

WTEST04,,00:03:FF:77:7D:73  in the csv file

• Marked as answer by fearnodeer Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:44 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:51 PM

All replies

• Forgot the errros from SC...

System.ArgumentException
    Item not found for specified actionId

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsWizardForm.RemoveItem(String actionId)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.MachineAssociation.ImportComputerInfoWizardForm.ResetErrorAction(String actionId, Boolean& errorActionSet, String statusCode, Int32 index, String computerName, String biosId, String macAddress, String referenceComputer)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.MachineAssociation.ImportComputerInfoWizardForm.PostApply(BackgroundWorker worker, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ProgressPage.backgroundWorkerPostApply_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

-------------------------------

Here is the result of the import...

Following computers will be imported:

Name: CAL-W7-7912-1

MAC Address: d6-54-40-0c-3f-de

SMBIOS GUID: a00c73085f4be94c8f573cd3a8fbad96

Source Computer:

Choose Target Collection: All Systems

Error: Following computers have not been imported:

• Edited by fearnodeer Friday, February 22, 2013 10:08 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 10:07 PM
  • I would not import all three values, but limit to the name and mac address.

If I recall collect, you should use a syntax like:

WTEST04,,00:03:FF:77:7D:73  in the csv file

• Marked as answer by fearnodeer Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:44 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Finally - that worked. Now I'll try more than one machine - looking better!!

Thanks!!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:44 PM