none
Downgrade Management Pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are running SCOM 2012 R2 and want to downgrade the Windows Server Operating System Library from 10.1.0.0 to 10.0.8.0.

Is the following process the best way to do this?

1.  Export unsealed mp's with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.

2.  Delete unsealed mp's with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.

3.  Delete Windows Server Operating System Library 10.1.0.0.

4.  Import Windows Server Operating System Library from 10.0.8.0.

5.  Import unsealed mp's with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.

I understand the 10.1.0.0 mp is not compatible with SCOM 2012 and I am seeing several discovery issues and that's why I want to downgrade. 

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

--David

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Thank you very much for the update. We're glad the problem is solved now. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Platform: SCOM 2012 R2
    Problem details: 
    How to downgrade the Windows Server Operating System Library from 10.1.0.0 to 10.0.8.0

Possible Cause:
    ===================
    N/A

Solution:
    ===================
    1, Export unsealed custom MPs with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.
    2, Delete MP dependency tree manually (Windows Server Operating System Library mp is referenced by other MPs and those MPs may possibly be referenced by other MPs.)
    3, Delete Windows Server Operating System Library 10.1.0.0.
    4, Import Windows Server Operating System Library from 10.0.8.0.
    5, Import those MPs back.
    6, Import unsealed custom MPs with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.

If you have any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by David.Mahler Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:38 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

There's no official way of doing a "downgrade of management packs", but your steps seem to be correct and as far as I know it's the only way to do this and it should be fully supported.

I would also recommend using the SCOM Self Maintenance Management Pack, this can for example back up your management packs for you which could save you some time.

OpsMgr Self Maintenance Management Pack 2.5.0.0 

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by CyrAz Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

For this query, per my understanding, the general process seems to be working, however, it may be more complex. 

We can only delete a MP if it not referenced by other MPs, for example, the MP we created to store the custom overrides, which only reference other MPs and not be referenced.

the Windows Server Operating System Library MP is the core MP and is referenced by other MPs (those MPs may possibly be referenced by other MPs). To remove this MP, we may need to remove the entire MP dependency tree manually and import them again.

this happens with both GUI and PowerShell cmdlet

Get-scommanagementpack | where {$_.name -like '*windows.server.library*'} | remove-scommanagmentpack

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Hi David,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    Monday, October 21, 2019 3:54 AM
  • Thank you Alex and all for your support!  I was able to manually "walk" the dependency tree and delete the necessary management packs, import the sealed management packs, updated the non-sealed management packs and import successfully.

I am still not seeing the disk show up from the Server 2016 logical disk discovery but that is a related but separate issue.

Thank you again for the assistance!

--David

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:49 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you very much for the update. We're glad the problem is solved now. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Platform: SCOM 2012 R2
    Problem details: 
    How to downgrade the Windows Server Operating System Library from 10.1.0.0 to 10.0.8.0

Possible Cause:
    ===================
    N/A

Solution:
    ===================
    1, Export unsealed custom MPs with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.
    2, Delete MP dependency tree manually (Windows Server Operating System Library mp is referenced by other MPs and those MPs may possibly be referenced by other MPs.)
    3, Delete Windows Server Operating System Library 10.1.0.0.
    4, Import Windows Server Operating System Library from 10.0.8.0.
    5, Import those MPs back.
    6, Import unsealed custom MPs with overrides associated with the Windows Server Operating System Library.

If you have any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    • Marked as answer by David.Mahler Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:38 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 2:18 AM