none
Emails are not Receiving from Veeam to Office 365 DLs RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

I have noticed notification emails from Veeam to Office 365 DLs are not working. here, I have Office 365 Hybrid infrastructure and we are using on-prem exchange server as a SMTP server on Veeam notification settings. (refer image01 and image02)

below are the things that I have noticed so far, appreciate anyone can help me with this. 

>run a message trace from veeam to office 365 DL and couldn't find anything there.

>create a new notification to individual office 365 email from Veeam side and it was successfully delivered. I have ran the message trace as well, noticed message delivered successfully from there as well. I assume, there is nothing to worry about relay settings in on-prem Exchange since delivering notifications to individual users. 

>create a new notification to another DL from Veeam and it wasn't worked either.

Image01:

Image02:

Thanks,

Dilan

Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:50 PM

Answers

• Add the *.onmicrosoft.com address space to your existing "OutBound to Office 365" send connector under "address Space".

Its the same as what you have already with the mail.onmicrosoft.com address space without the "mail" in there.

Then send from VEEAM  to the SMTP Address of the DLs you want to send to in Office 365 using their *.onmicrosoft.com addresses. You can send through the Exchange Server as its set now and Exchange will know to route it out to Office 365

• Marked as answer by Dilanmic Monday, June 15, 2020 4:46 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2020 6:39 PM

All replies

• I assume these are being sent anonymously. Ensure the 365 DLs allow that.

Properties of the group/Delivery Management

This needs to be checked.

Senders inside and outside of my organization

Thursday, June 11, 2020 5:03 PM
  • HI Andy,

I have checked and it has been checked already.

Thanks 

Dilan

Friday, June 12, 2020 4:02 AM
  • Hi Dilan,

What commands do you use to trace the message? If you use Get-MessageTrace cmdlet, please make sure the message is sent less than 10 days old.

Do you have mailboxes on on-premises Exchange? You can try to send messages to the office 365 DL from an on-premise mailbox.

Since Veeam needs to use on-premises Exchange to send messages, please check the message tracking log on on-premises Exchange for more information about this missing message:

Get-TransportService|Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageSubject <subject> -Sender <mailbox address> -Recipients <mailbox address> |select timestamp,EventID,Source,ConnectorID|sort-object Timestamp

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 12, 2020 6:01 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

I have done the message trace on Exchange onprem form Veeam server and the result showed up with routing failed. so as I am new to onprem exchange here I am not sure what I suppose to do, can you help me out? Please refer attached image

Image01:

Thanks,

Dilan

• Edited by Dilanmic Friday, June 12, 2020 7:34 AM ccc
    Friday, June 12, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Expand that out and look at the recipient status field - focusing on the eventID of FAIL

Get-messagetrackinglog -sender <Veam SMTP Address> - EventID FAIL |FL RecipientStatus

Friday, June 12, 2020 11:18 AM
  • HI Andy,

Here is the result of that, any clue?

Thanks,

Dilan

Friday, June 12, 2020 6:07 PM
  • Are the 365 Groups you are sending to mastered/homed/created in 365? that what it appears. Your on-prem Exchange Server doesnt know about them.

Friday, June 12, 2020 6:50 PM
  • HI,

Yes, we have created our DLs in O365 side and we can't see them on our on-prem. so, Is this a expected behavior? if so, Is there any best practices if we creating distribution groups in Hybrid envirnoment. 

Thanks,

Dilan

Saturday, June 13, 2020 2:11 AM
  • HI,

Yes, we have created our DLs in O365 side and we can't see them on our on-prem. so, Is this a expected behavior? if so, Is there any best practices if we creating distribution groups in Hybrid envirnoment. 

Thanks,

Dilan

Hi, Yes, this is expected if you are sending to the DLs and they have no corresponding on-prem object.

If you are using AADConnect to sync AD object to Office 365 from on-prem, then you would need to create the DLs on-prem and once synced to 365, this would work.

You can may work this work now in a couple of ways.

1. Send directly to Office 365 from VEEAM to the valid SMTP addresses of those Office 365 DLs.

or

2. Verify that you have a send connector  ( or create it) for the *.onmicrosoft.com name space in the on-prem Exchange and send to the *.onmicrosoft.com SMTP addresses of those DLs from VEEAM.

That way when you send through Exchange, it will know its not a local SMTP address space and then route via that send connector to 365 and to those 365 DLs.

2 is probably the better option.

Saturday, June 13, 2020 10:37 AM
  • HI Andy,

Thank you very much for your help so far, I am really appreciate it. I understood second one is a best one, however below is my concerns if I go with 2nd option. 

We have already two outbound send connectors and Please refer the below screenshots and advice me If required any changes there. 

Please note, apart from those two outbound connectors, we have one Internal Relay connector  with route mail trough smart hosts. I assume, we don't have any connection with this related to current issue.

Image01

Image02:

Image03:

In second connector, Only changes besides first connector are logging - Off and address space in scoping. Please refer below screenshots.

Image04:

Image05:

Thanks again,

Dilan

• Edited by Dilanmic Sunday, June 14, 2020 5:54 PM eee
    Sunday, June 14, 2020 5:36 PM
  • Add the *.onmicrosoft.com address space to your existing "OutBound to Office 365" send connector under "address Space".

Its the same as what you have already with the mail.onmicrosoft.com address space without the "mail" in there.

Then send from VEEAM  to the SMTP Address of the DLs you want to send to in Office 365 using their *.onmicrosoft.com addresses. You can send through the Exchange Server as its set now and Exchange will know to route it out to Office 365

• Marked as answer by Dilanmic Monday, June 15, 2020 4:46 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2020 6:39 PM
  • HI Andy,

Thank you very much for you help all the way through. this has worked for me. this is additional question, can we router to .com address through on-prem exchange server by create a mail contact and add a .onmicrosoft.com address in proxy address attribute as alias.

Thanks again.

Dilan

Monday, June 15, 2020 4:46 PM
  • HI Andy,

Thank you very much for you help all the way through. this has worked for me. this is additional question, can we router to .com address through on-prem exchange server by create a mail contact and add a .onmicrosoft.com address in proxy address attribute as alias.

Thanks again.

Dilan

that should work, yes. As long as the external address is set to the onmicrosoft.com one .

Note that the mail contact can not have the same SMTP address of anything on-prem or in Office 365 however as that will cause a conflict and dup error

Monday, June 15, 2020 4:58 PM
  • Thank You Andy.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 11:54 PM
  • It's great your issue is solved. Here is a brief summary for this thread. Hope this can help more people with similar issues.

Issue Symptom:

I have noticed notification emails from Veeam to Office 365 DLs are not working. here, I have Office 365 Hybrid infrastructure and we are using on-prem exchange server as a SMTP server on Veeam notification settings. 

below are the things that I have noticed so far, appreciate anyone can help me with this. 

>run a message trace from veeam to office 365 DL and couldn't find anything there.

>create a new notification to individual office 365 email from Veeam side and it was successfully delivered. I have ran the message trace as well, noticed message delivered successfully from there as well. I assume, there is nothing to worry about relay settings in on-prem Exchange since delivering notifications to individual users. 

>create a new notification to another DL from Veeam and it wasn't worked either.

Cause:

The configuration of the send connector "Outbound to Office 365".

Solution:

Add the *.onmicrosoft.com address space to your existing "Outbound to Office 365" send connector under "address Space".

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:28 AM