Newly Created Package Programs & Applications Not Appearing in Task Sequence Steps! RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning - 

This morning I created a couple of new packages whose source folder pointed to a share with just an EXE inside of it.  After creation, I created a package for the EXE file like I've done 1000 times.  Once done, the Program shows up in the Programs tab under the Package and I go ahead and send it out to my Dist points.

When creating a new Custom Task Sequence, I choose a "Install Package" step, select the new Package, but no Programs are listed below it!  The Programs for all packages I've made previously display when selected - just not any I'm creating today!

I've tried the following to resolve - none worked

• Created new Packages with different files on different shares
    • Created Programs using all defaults
    • Created Packages in "Packages" root - not in a folder
    • Create Programs after creating Package (not using Pacakge creation Wizard)
    • Restarted primary SCCM (haven't restarted SQL yet)

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Update

I just tried creating an Application the normal way, too.  Once finished, I sent it to my DPs, then went back to the custom TS again.  I choose to "Add Application", then clicked on the yellow star to select one.  It listed all of my Applications - except for the new one I just added.  I went back and the new one is still in the list of Applications.

What gives?  Thanks

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:05 PM

Answers

• You can't add a program that requires user interaction to a task sequence. Here's a post that may give you a work around http://blogs.technet.com/b/cameronk/archive/2011/01/25/can-i-use-serviceui-exe-to-launch-other-programs-besides-the-udi-setup-wizard.aspx if your using MDT, but the best solution would probably be to repackage the installer so no user input is needed.

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resovled your issue

Monday, October 15, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Did you choose the option to run whether or not user is logged in? In the advanced tab on the program did you choose allow to run from task sequence?

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resovled your issue

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• Did you choose the option to run whether or not user is logged in? In the advanced tab on the program did you choose allow to run from task sequence?

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Good Call - I think I found the issue...

I chose Whether or Not User Is Logged in as I do with most programs - but - also had "Allow User to interact" checked.  I unchecked it and it appeared in the list.

I'm glad the issue has been found, but it brings up a new one.  The script it's running requires user input.  How may I do this?  Thanks - 

Ben K.

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:22 PM
  • You can't add a program that requires user interaction to a task sequence. Here's a post that may give you a work around http://blogs.technet.com/b/cameronk/archive/2011/01/25/can-i-use-serviceui-exe-to-launch-other-programs-besides-the-udi-setup-wizard.aspx if your using MDT, but the best solution would probably be to repackage the installer so no user input is needed.

Monday, October 15, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hello,

I know this is old Post, But Still its relevant for some scenarios.

I have faced the Same problem while adding the Applications to Custom Task Sequence. 

Fixed the Problem by following below mentioned Steps.

• Application should be configured for "Install for system" and "Whether or not a user is logged on"
    • If any Supersedence is configured in Application Deployment, Make sure All the applications list which is showing in Supersedence must be configured for "Install for system" and "Whether or not a user is logged On".
    • In Application properties, Make sure "Allow this application to be deployed as part of a task sequence without being deployed" is checked.

Example : 

Mahesh

Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:25 PM