none
A scheduled discovery task was not started because the previous task for that discovery was still executing RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, I'm getting these messages on specific servers and the monitoring service just hangs and doesn't report alerts. If I restart the service, it errors on the stop, then restarts fine and seems to be OK, until these messages appear again a few days later and it just hangs again. Other servers that have the same build appear to be fine. Can anyone advise what's causing this please?

    We're running SCOM 2012 SP1.

    Thanks.

    Monday, July 22, 2019 1:03 PM

All replies

  • Hey

    Do you see any pattern in the servers that are showing these errors? Like a specific OS build, from a specific site, etc.

    Also reviewing the event logs of the affected servers might help. Also are these any specific discoveries?

    Cheers


    Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

    Monday, July 22, 2019 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

     

    Find some issues are fixed by importing the following MP. You can try it.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9296

     

    However, if the issue still persists, please let us know what is the discovery name and if any error message in Event Viewer.

     

    Thanks and have a nice day.

     

    Best regards.

    Crystal

     


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:59 AM
  • 1) check any error in event log
    2) Also, identify which discovery rule/s generate this error

    roger
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Hi, yes we do now I've put an alert on these messages. They are all SQL 2016 servers. Going to upgrade the MP and see if that fixes it.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:46 AM
  • It didn't fix it. Anyone any ideas?

    So, on SQL Server 2016 servers, the SCOM service hangs, and several of these messages are produced at the same time for different things.

    'A scheduled discovery task was not started because the previous task for that discovery was still executing'

    SCOM doesn't start monitoring again until the service is restarted manually.

    Friday, August 9, 2019 11:54 AM
  • 1) Flush Health Service State for problematic agent

    2) Clear agent cache

    • Stop the Microsoft Monitoring Agent service.
    • Check the Microsoft Monitoring Agent service status.
    • Rename the existing “Health Service State” folder.
    • Start the Microsoft Monitoring Agent service.
    • Check the Microsoft Monitoring Agent service status.
    • Remove the old “Health Service State” folder.

    3) Reinstall SCOM agent on the problematic server.

    Roger

    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Thanks Roger - am trying that and will see what happens. However, I have reinstalled previously several times.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:28 PM