none
SCOM 2012 R2 Integration with HP Oneview tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Has any one performed an integration with SCOM & HP Oneview ?

I have got a document but it is not clear, so it will be helpful if any one can explain the procedure if any one has performed the integration,

Gautam.75801

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Gautam,

please find my answers below:

1. We need not to do any configuration or installation on the HP One view server.
    That is correct, you don't need to configure options or install something. The only thing you need to do on the appliance (server) is to create an account if you are not planing to use the current OneView admin account for monitoring. Of course, if you want, you can use an existing account.

2. Configuration & deployment is to only be done on the Number of Management servers we are planning to use.
    This is correct.

3. Now we will need to download the Kit available in HP Site and install the Kit based on our supported version on the management servers after passing the .NET & Power shell requirements.
    The kit version is chosen not based on the version of the management server, but based on the version of OneView. This screenshot from the guide will make it clearer:

So if your OnweView has the latest version (2.0 and above) you can take the kit v.8.0, but if the OneView has a version below 2.0, you will have to take the 7.6 version of the bundle.

4. Install the management & event manager on all the required management servers.
    Correct.

5. Importing the management pack on the MS.
    Correct.

6. Configuring the HP One view part by adding the appliance on the SCOM Console by entering the One view URL and username and password. (Ensure port 80 is opened from MS to One view server / console).
    The appliance (server) is added not by entering the URL of the web console, but by entering the IP respectively DNS name and entering the credentials. Here is a screenshot of the configuration dashboard for OneView in SCOM:

7. Wait for the discovery to happen
    Correct (or trigger it with the PowerShell script)

8. Verify the discovery
    Correct.

9. Alter the discovery interval & Override the required rules if we want them or do not want them.
    Also correct (will also add "monitors") to your statement - "override the required rules and monitors" :)

I think you got it correct. Don't forget to check on the guide (the link to the .pdf is in my first reply). There you will also find almost all of the information.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more question, I'll be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help.

I got it Integrated with SCOM 2 - 3 weeks back on my Test environment and also in production.

I also got Vendor assistance from HP.

In the production the appliance is Yet to be added.

I have created a step by step document for beginners who are not aware of the steps, The document can be downloaded in the below link describes the step by step procedure in installing the Integration Kit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3YAAPCrTgr3WGsxOU1MbWY5bU0/view?usp=sharing

Gautam.75801

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Gautam,

I have done it more than once. I have used the 7.4.2, 7.6. and also the newest one - 8.0 versions of the HP OneView for SCOM. (Integration Kit v 3.0.6). What are you interested in? Do you have some specific questions?

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks for your reply.

So can you let me know what are the steps involved in doing this ? Meaning what is to be done in Open view (Configuration & procedure of Installing the Integration kit.

I am assuming we are using the latest version of oneview but will confirm on it.

Then what all configurations are done in the SCOM part ? I know few things on the requirements like .net 4 & powershell 3.0 & Open view event manager has to be installed.

It would be really helpful if you have a step by step document for both parts.

So we are looking mainly like all the alerts related to HP hardware monitored in Oneview should pass to SCOM.

Please advice.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:06 PM
  • Hi Gautam,

lets start with the version of the integraton kit.

HP OneView SCOM integration Kit

The SCOM OneView Integration Kit (hpovscomkit.exe) is part of a bigger "bundle", which contains also other integration kits. The bundles had the following versions:

- HP_OneView_for_Microsoft_System_Center_7.4.2_ZIP_May_2015 - It cotained the SCOM OneView Integration Kit (hpovscomkit.exe) V 2.0.11

- HP_OneView_for_Microsoft_System_Center_7.6_ZIP_June_2015 - - It cotained the SCOM OneView Integration Kit (hpovscomkit.exe) V 2.3.2.

and the most recent one:

- HP_OneView_for_Microsoft_SystemCenter_8.0 - It cotains the SCOM OneView Integration Kit (hpovscomkit.exe) V 3.0.6

I assume you will use the most recent version of the ingeration kit (3.0.6), so this is the link to the .PDF document, containing the user guide:

HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center

You need the file "HPE OneView SCOM Integration Kit (v 3.0) User Guide.PDF" - 5,67MB (Update date 11. Dec. 2015).

Supported One View versions

This integration kit and also the previous versions i mentioned, support HP OneView appliance with 1.20 version.
    Only the most recent version (3.0.6) supports the latest version of the HP OneView firmware (2.00.02).So if the HP  OneView appliance you want to monitor has either 1.2 or 2.0 version you can use the latest integration kit.

Installation

The integration kit uses the concept of resource pools, so if you have more then one mgmt server you will have to take this into consideration. Install the integration kit on all management servers, which will be part of the "HP Resource Pool for HP One View Management Pack".

During the installation, make sure you also install the HP OneView Event Manager Service, it is just a option, which is selected during the installation.

After the installer has completed you can go to the install directory and import all HP One View Management Packs.Those are not imported during the installation.

After importing the MPs the resource pools will be created automatically and you will have to edit it and add the server you have planed for this.

Prereqs

You need .NET 4.5 on your mgmt servers, where you will install the Event Manager service.

Appliance Discovery

After you have installed the service, imported the MPs and have configured your resource pools members - you can add the appliance. You can do this in the console under Monitoring -> HP OneView Systems -> Configuration Dashboard. You will need a user with admin credentials for this. Please note this (from the user guide):

"NOTE: By default, the discovery interval of OneView Appliance class is set to 4 hours. The interval can be customized by the user.
    NOTE: When adding OneView appliances using Active Directory users, use the
    Directoryname\domainuser format, where Directoryname is the name of the directory provided in OneView during the Active Directory integration.
    NOTE: Users must have full OneView administrator rights when adding OneView instancesin the OneView Configuration Dashboard."

If the appliance is not integrated with AD you don't have to enter domain name, only the account name and passwort.

I have made an override for the discovery and set it to 15 Minutes, instead of the default 4 hours.

You can also trigger the discovery, using the following PS script:

$Task = Get-SCOMTask -Name Microsoft.SystemCenter.TriggerOnDemandDiscovery
    $Discovery = Get-SCOMDiscovery -Displayname ”HP OneView Appliance Discovery”
    $Instance = @{DiscoveryId=$Discovery.Id.ToString();TargetInstanceId=$Discovery.Target.Id.ToString()}
    $Override = Get-SCOMClass -name Microsoft.SystemCenter.ManagementServer | Get-SCOMClassInstance | ? {$_.displayname -eq ’SCOM_SRV_FQDN’}
    Start-SCOMTask -Task $Task -Instance $Override -Override $Instance

The first time you add the Appliance you will have to wait a couple if hours before all information is gathered by the Mgmt Servers and written into the DB.

Monitors

The guide contains all information you need, just pay attention to the fact that allmost all monitors do not generate alerts by default, so you will have to override them.

Ports

Please ensure you have connectivity to your appliance. You will need also port 80 for the web console.

This is what you need for now. Everything else is also found in the guide. Hope I could help you out.

Regards,

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

1st I must appreciate and really thank you for your time in the explanation.

So after couple of discussions and reading docs and stuff i have understood the below. Please let me know if i have understood it correctly.

1. We need not to do any configuration or installation on the HP One view server.

2. Configuration & deployment is to only be done on the Number of Management servers we are planning to use.

3. Now we will need to download the Kit available in HP Site and install the Kit based on our supported version on the management servers after passing the .NET & Power shell requirements.

4. Install the management & event manager on all the required management servers.

6. Configuring the HP One view part by adding the appliance on the SCOM Console by entering the One view URL and username and password. (Ensure port 80 is opened from MS to One view server / console)

8. Verify the discovery

9. Alter the discovery interval & Override the required rules if we want them or do not want them.

Please advice if i am missing or misunderstood any thing.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:52 PM
  • Hi Gautam,

please find my answers below:

That is correct, you don't need to configure options or install something. The only thing you need to do on the appliance (server) is to create an account if you are not planing to use the current OneView admin account for monitoring. Of course, if you want, you can use an existing account.

This is correct.

The kit version is chosen not based on the version of the management server, but based on the version of OneView. This screenshot from the guide will make it clearer:

So if your OnweView has the latest version (2.0 and above) you can take the kit v.8.0, but if the OneView has a version below 2.0, you will have to take the 7.6 version of the bundle.

Correct.

Correct.

6. Configuring the HP One view part by adding the appliance on the SCOM Console by entering the One view URL and username and password. (Ensure port 80 is opened from MS to One view server / console).
    The appliance (server) is added not by entering the URL of the web console, but by entering the IP respectively DNS name and entering the credentials. Here is a screenshot of the configuration dashboard for OneView in SCOM:

Correct (or trigger it with the PowerShell script)

8. Verify the discovery
    Correct.

Also correct (will also add "monitors") to your statement - "override the required rules and monitors" :)

I think you got it correct. Don't forget to check on the guide (the link to the .pdf is in my first reply). There you will also find almost all of the information.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more question, I'll be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thank you for the confirmation. I will deploy this and update you.

Also i see in the DOC they have mentioned on Run as account & profile part. Is it necessary for this ?

Gautam.75801

Friday, May 20, 2016 8:54 PM
  • Hi Gautam,

i have not configured a Run As account or Profile. I have just entered the Oneview user Name in the configuration Dashboard as shown in the screenshot above.

Regards,

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help.

I got it Integrated with SCOM 2 - 3 weeks back on my Test environment and also in production.

I also got Vendor assistance from HP.

In the production the appliance is Yet to be added.

I have created a step by step document for beginners who are not aware of the steps, The document can be downloaded in the below link describes the step by step procedure in installing the Integration Kit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3YAAPCrTgr3WGsxOU1MbWY5bU0/view?usp=sharing

Gautam.75801

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:20 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

I want to monitor the capacity and performance of P9500 storage module. To achieve this what all management packs should I import? and what is the extra configuration that I need to perform once done importing? 

Thanks in Advance,

Dex.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:00 PM
  • Hi Dex,

in your case you will need the HP Storage Management Pack for System Center. The current version is 4.2.1 (at least it was until a couple of weeks ago).

Here a link:

HP Storage Management with Microsoft System Center

and this is the User Guide in PDF format:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04853381-1.pdf

I've written something about it, but my post relates mainly to monitoring the HP 3PAr, so in your case some things could differ. 

Monitoring HP Storage environments with System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2

Hope this helps. Regards,

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Stoyan. I had a look at the article that you published.

1)The thing I am now stuck at is selecting the type of device.

2) And also we are planning to use the whole Oneview management pack,(for servers, Networks , Pools) so how feasible that option is? and did you publish any article on this as well?

Thanks Dex.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Hey Dex,

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by "stuck at selecting the type" of device...

Let's start and new thread (this one is already resolved), where you can give a bit more details on point 1. and I will make sure to give you all the information I can. :) If we also get "stuck" we can ask the other SCOM-ers here to give us a "push" :) Please post the link to the new thread here.

To 2: I haven't posted anything about OneView as I tough that there is already information on how to install and configure the MP. If you have any particular questions I will be glad to answer them. 

In you case you are not able to monitor your storage using the OneView storage integration and this for one simple reason:

The OneView Storage System MP supports only monitoring of the HP 3PAR:

So you will have to use The HP Storage MP separately to monitor your storage. 

Regards,

Friday, October 7, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Greetings,

Do we need the license for Oneview as Mandate for doing this integration?

Kindly confirm.

Thanks

Avneesh

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:13 AM
  • Hi Avneesh,

You need to have OneView and of course OneView Advanced licenses for the hardware you are monitoring. Your servers need to be in a "managed" status, so that you are able to manged them using the OneView MP (do the integration). Here is more about "monitored" and "managed" devices in OneView:

About licensing

and also more on the HP OneView Advanced Licensing:

HP OneView Advanced licensing for managing server hardware

Hope this helps. Regards,

Monday, October 24, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

In My Oneview, we dont have any license added in the license tab, that means we dont dont have any licenses.  In that case we can not integrate our Oneview to SCOM using this Binary.

Kindly assist as we dont have any license for Our Oneview environment.

Thanks

Avneesh

Monday, October 24, 2016 11:40 AM
  • Hi Avneesh,

could it be that you have  factory-integrated (embedded) licenses? 
    What do you collect information from? Servers, enclosures, server profiles? Are you devices in a monitored or managed status?

I don't see how I can help if licensing is a topic here. You will have to contact HP and clarify this, then go ahead and implement the MP.

Regards,

Monday, October 24, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Hi Stoyan

We just need to integrate teh alerts from Oneview to SCOM. Thats the only requirement we have.

And i dont have much info. from OneView end.

so just checking with you on the same.

Thanks

Avneesh

• Edited by AvneeshBS Monday, October 24, 2016 12:03 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Hi Avneesh,

In order to install and configure the OneView MP you will need also an OneView account with enough (admin is preferred) privileges. So you will have to follow the guide and all the tips from this post in order to be able to discover the OneView appliance. After discovering it you can check how it actually looks in SCOM.

This is considering the fact that you are not familiar with the licensing details on the OneView side. 

Just try and see what happens. The configuration of the MP is a matter of hours (including the discovery)...

I can help you with some technical details, but if the issue is licensing and especially on the OneView Site, I cannot do much. :(

Regards,

Monday, October 24, 2016 12:15 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have followed all the steps and not getting anything in my env.

Let me know, how ot proceed further and troubleshoot the same.

Thanks

Avneesh

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Hi Avneesh,

how long have you waited?

Did you overwrite the discovery?

Did you complete a manual trigger of the discovery?

Have you added the appliance in the configuration dashboard? 

What is the status of the appliance, displayed there?

Regards,

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:23 PM
  • Hi Stoyits,

its almost 3 hours now.

i did the overwrite.  

i dont know, how to do the manual discovery.

status of the appliance shown healthy but greyed out.

please let me know.

Thanks

Avneesh Jain

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:19 PM
  • HI Avneesh,

"status of the appliance shown healthy but greyed out." certainly doesn't sound good. So the next thing to do is check what is wrong with the appliance and why it is grey. Go to the health explorer and open it for the appliance instance. Then go to the failing monitor and examine the State Change Events. What does the failing monitor say?

Here a ref:

Using Health Explorer to Investigate Problems

Can you please open a new thread in the OpsMgr forum and we will continue the discussion there. This one is already marked as resolved and has another topic in its root.... Thanks in advance. I will monitor for your new thread.

Regards,

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

As suggested I have started a new thread , could you please clarify the doubts?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9484db5c-27cc-46e0-a9e9-25ae75b293be/configuring-hp-management-pack-for-p9500-module?forum=operationsmanagerextensibility

Regards,

Dex.

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi Dex, 

I have replied in the new thread. Thanks.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi!

Please help.

VM with HPE OneView 4.00 appliance. HP C7000 added to oneview and i get info.

Another VM WinServ2012 with SCOM 2012 r2 deployed, SNMP component installed, OneView  Managment Packs v4.1 imported.

Appliance added to scom - Hpe OneView- config dashboard w/o errors, but i don't see any info, for example, no info appliance state.

OneView appliance and SCOM server placed in different VLAN's and under firewall.

Maybe need open some addition ports?

• Edited by mrLuXoR Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

may I ask you to open a new thread, please. I will try to give some usefull suggestions. 

Thank You!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, July 26, 2018 10:07 AM
  • opened here

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/587cab75-7c47-4b93-83be-69916538d9d2/hpe-oneview-mp-no-info?forum=operationsmanagermgmtpacks#587cab75-7c47-4b93-83be-69916538d9d2

• Edited by mrLuXoR Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:28 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:26 AM