none
Management Pack to add new task to assign an incident via a list of real analysts rather than from all AD users

General discussion

• Hi,

I've seen a lot of people who have mentioned that selecting analysts from AD to assign an incident to is very tedious.

I've replaced this task with my own custom one that provides a drop-down of "real" analysts via an AD group.

I've had so much help from people in the Service Manager community that I'd thought I'd repay this and make this mp available.

The mpb and VS2010 source can be downloaded from:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Task-to-assign-an-incident-850ce363

You'll need SP1 installed. If not, you'll probably need to update the versions for the references in the mp, reseal and rebundle.

Import the .mpb into Service Manager as an admin. If possible, please do this on a test system first. I have tested this and it works ok, but I can't be liable for any issues :)

Restart the console. If you now click on an Incident via a view, you should see a task called "Assign Directly". You'll need to assign this task to your user roles as required for them to see it.

====================
    Update 16/3/2011

Settings moved to Administration settings, fill in one or more (up to 3) of the Domain and Group boxes, for example:

Domain1 is your AD root, for example:
    LDAP://DC=domain,DC=co,DC=xx

Group1 is the dn of the group that contains your Analysts, for example:
    CN=SCSMAssignToAnalysts,OU=SCSM Groups,OU=Groups,DC=domain,DC=co,DC=xx

If you have many Analysts or some with the same name, you can tick to show samaccountname on the dropdown.
    ====================

In your AD group(s), add top-level user accounts. Sub-groups will not be processed.

When you run the task, the bundled dll is downloaded to the user profile in "..\AppData\Local\Microsoft\System Center Service Manager 2010\<SERVERNAME>\<VERSION>".

User accounts from your AD group should appear in the drop-down. Select one, enter a comment, OK. The incident should be assigned to that user and the action log will be updated.

You can't re-assign to the currently assigned to user.

You can tick the tickbox to not supply a comment if needed.

Cheers,

Rob

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:21 PM

All replies

• Great job Rob! This task is really useful and I really appriciate that you are sharing the source code (along with the comments! )!

A few suggestions:
    - Add the ability to assign several incidents at once
    - Show sAMAccountName in the dropdown menu (there are analysts with the same name and spelling)
    - Make it possible to use from within the incident
    - Prevent using the task on a Resolved/Closed incident

Extra:
    - Make it possible to use in change and problem aswell
    - Store the settings under the Administration wunderbar instead of in the registry
    - Add support for several groups and domains

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden
    Friday, January 28, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Glad you liked it :)

Some good suggestions, I may update the downloads if I get around to making some changes.

That's one of the reasons I supplied the source, so you could customise as you needed it :)

Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Hi Rob,

very good job, I make a query.
    I followed all the steps in your procedure, I import the MP, in the view of the incidents now I see the icon assigned directly.

I went to the registry of my machine and create the following:
    in HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software, then made ​​the following entry
    RXF \ AssignDirectlyToAnalyst \ DomainRoot
    REG_SZ Registry value LDAP: / / DC = domain, DC = local
    then the entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software, then made ​​the following entry
    RXF \ AssignDirectlyToAnalyst \ Grouppath
    REG_SZ Registry value
    Supportgroup CN =, OU = service manager, center OU = System, DC = domain, DC = local
    then I restart the service console manager.
    my problem is that when I click on the button directly assign a message that I must create the registry entries.

any ideas?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Hi Jabarca,

The keys and values should look like this (obviously change them to suit your domain and group name/location):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RXF\AssignDirectlyToAnalyst]
    "DomainRoot"="LDAP://DC=yourdomain,DC=com"
    "GroupPath"="CN=SCSMAssignToAnalysts,OU=SCSM Groups,OU=Groups,DC=yourdomain,DC=com"

Does this match what you've tried?

I'm working on Anders suggestion to create some admin settings for these, I must get around to finishing it...

Cheers,

Rob

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:05 AM
  • I've updated the 2 downloads with a new version that adds these features:

1. Closed Incidents cannot be re-assigned.

2. Admin settings for 3 domains and groups (no longer single one in the Registry).

3. Admin setting to show ad account on drop down or not

Please let me know if there are any problems. I've tested the 3 groups but I only have one domain available.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for your help, I've seen changes in the MP and applied the mime.

now I have filtered my analysts.

Greetings,
    • Edited by jabarca Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:36 PM f
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I have implemented the updated MP and all works well. Do you have any plans to get the MP working within the incident form? It would be really great if you could.

Thanks

Mark

Mark | http://www.silversands.co.uk
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Absolutly brilliant Rob!

Hope you don't mind but I've put a blog post on about it, along with some pictures if anyone wants to see before installing.

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you, I'm glad you like it, no problems with you putting it on your blog :)

Cheers,

Rob

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I have some issues with getting it working from the form. Any changes made to the form manually before running the task are lost and any changes made afterwards cannot be saved. This is because the form uses an in-memory copy of the data. This can be updated by the various built-in tasks but that part of the SDK is unpublished and unsupported and subject to change with the release of R2.

It also appears to be very hard or impossible to refresh a form.

So, I made the task only work if run from a view for now.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has managed to get something like this working, though.

Cheers,

Rob

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:47 AM
  • hi guys

my problem is I did a management pack to store important information regarding the incident but it is editable when the incident is in the closed state

as I can do to make the information stored in an MP created to extend the functionality of service manager can not be edited after the close of the incident?
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Hi Rob - cool.  Thanks for sharing this with the community.  Do you want to put it up on CodePlex as a project so the community can contribute to it?

Also - you may want to post the completed solution up on the new TechNet Gallery to get even more visibility:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/04/05/service-manager-on-new-technet-gallery-beta.aspx

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Thanks, Travis. I'll look at those.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I've posted this on the Technet Gallery now here:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Task-to-assign-an-incident-850ce363

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Travis, do you just want Management Packs on the gallery? I've added my tool to list classifications, but I also have another one that outputs relationships, enumerations, classes, templates and MPs and their Guids, example below.

I find this very handy for getting the guids of any thing I've just created or for any system ones, too.

ListGuids.exe resolve

Listing Relationship Classes...
    Resolved By User (System.WorkItem.Library) (System.WorkItem.TroubleTicketResolvedByUser) (f7d9b385-a84d-3884-7cde-e2c926d931a5)
    Resolves Work Item (System.WorkItem.Library) (System.WorkItemResolvesWorkItem) (673535a4-6866-347a-53b7-0550d486ae85)

Listing Enumerations...
    Resolved by user (ServiceManager.IncidentManagement.Configuration) (Enum.a694f98c15894a08895be6e364b5f55f) (6110f06e-6c14-6f5d-44df-25712c022d04)
    Resolved by analyst (ServiceManager.IncidentManagement.Configuration) (IncidentResolutionCategoryEnum.FixedByAnalyst) (c5f6ada9-a0df-01d6-7087-6b8500ca6c2b)
    Resolved at time of call (ServiceManager.IncidentManagement.Configuration) (Enum.20bb55641b854f0d97d47a2bbe45af03) (defd8961-6997-5400-3fb5-a35fa8471aac)
    Auto Resolved by Problem (System.WorkItem.Problem.Library) (IncidentResolutionCategoryEnum.ResolvedByProblem) (4ddea88e-2da7-8f16-001a-af68db9a6b8e)
    Resolved (System.WorkItem.Problem.Library) (ProblemStatusEnum.Resolved) (7ff92b06-1694-41e5-2df7-b4d5970d2d2b)
    Record Resolved (System.WorkItem.Library) (System.WorkItem.ActionLogEnum.RecordResolved) (5ca2cfee-6740-1576-540b-ce17222840b8)
    Resolved externally (ServiceManager.IncidentManagement.Configuration) (Enum.2ac3af216e1241858f1d451e4388ef33) (bdc8f563-f3d1-0dd3-3006-cfbc5aa5c179)
    Resolved (System.WorkItem.Incident.Library) (IncidentStatusEnum.Resolved) (2b8830b6-59f0-f574-9c2a-f4b4682f1681)

Listing Classes...

Listing Templates...

Listing Management Packs...
    Resolve Related Incidents MP(ResolveRelatedIncidentsTask) (f7481f0f-c726-51c7-d972-e07f3e4c0472)

Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:20 PM
  • I welcome any and all virus free contributions on the TechNet Gallery! :)
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Friday, April 8, 2011 12:12 AM
  • My mainly virus free contribution has been uploaded :)
    Friday, April 8, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Rob,

We've got an error when running with a RunAs.

Regards.

Johann

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hi Johann,

I use runas on the console to get admin access. I just tested the Assign Directly task and it worked like this. Could you please let me know the error message you are getting and at what point it appears?

Cheers,

Rob

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Please forget my request. Sorry.

After several tests, we've still got this error but only from one server, so this is related with our server.

For your information we've got this message (some words are in French, but should not be an issue ...I guess)

Date : 20.04.2011 08:32:16

Application : System Center Service Manager

Version de l'application : 7.0.6555.0

Gravité : Erreur

Message : Objet de classe EnterpriseManagementObject avec l'ID 68b36f66-707c-abaa-ec41-e6e526b3e566 introuvable.

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: Objet de classe EnterpriseManagementObject avec l'ID 68b36f66-707c-abaa-ec41-e6e526b3e566 introuvable.

à Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task, List`1 parameterList)

à Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task)

à Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.WindowJobRecord.ExecuteBackgroundJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs eventargs)

à Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Regards

Johann

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Hi Rob,

This is a great MP - thank you very much for sharing it!

One of my customers asks to extend the form to allow the support group to be changed also. I see that you do not share the source code of this solution. Would you be willing to do so, so that I can add the required functionality? I will share the result, of course.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Dieter

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Johann, sorry, I don't remember this reply. I either forgot to respond or I did have some problems with my notifications some time back. Probably too late for you now, but looks like that server or management group is not on SP1.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Hi Dieter,

I need to work on the source code to make it publically available again, I might do this again but for now, I have added an admin option to show the tier queue on the task form.

Cheers,

Rob

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Source re-added.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:32 PM
  • This works like a charm. Thank you Rob!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Will this work on SCSM 2012?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Will this work on SCSM 2012?

Yes, it does, I also have a new version almost ready that works with most classes.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Is it possible to add more than 3 groups? I currently use 7 and would love it!

Also, can the list filter down to the list of members in a given group? Or the group change when you pick a person do the two don't get separated?

• Edited by AudreyPaige Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:40 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:56 PM
  • This solution is basically how you see it :)

But, it does include the source code...

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com
    For a free SCSM 2012 Auto-Close app click here

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:25 PM