none
Adding a software policy shows package as wrong language? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MSI package that I am trying to install. Using ORCA, I see the Property->ProductLanguage field as set to 1033 (which I believe is English). Yet, when I go to create a software installation policy for that package, the package shows up in the properties as being "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)". And the only way I can get Group Policy to work is to select the option to ignore the language. Which has a side effect of installing it in Chinese, of course.

So, any thoughts on why it says Chinese, but is English in the package itself? Can I set the group policy to override the language and install it as English? I know I should be able to create an MST to set the ProductLanguage field to 1033, but it already is 1033 so the transform fails in Orca saying that it already is 1033.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:17 PM

Answers

• It does Chinese... Its a multi language package.

While, this is NOT the package I'm referring to (different vendor), I found this article which I think actually solves the problem http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-connector-outlook/52471-zco-7-1-2-deploy-gpo-sees-package-arabic-language.html . I don't like having to edit my source package to fix the issue, but it works and I have the package installing itself. 

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, May 23, 2014 12:22 PM

All replies

• > Property->ProductLanguage field as set to 1033 (which I believe is
    > English).

If you install it manually, what language does it "choose"? And is it a
    "custom" msi, or is it available on the net so others can peek into it?
    (I have a copy of InstallShield Pro here, which might be helpful in
    analyzing...)

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Friday, May 23, 2014 7:44 AM
  • It does Chinese... Its a multi language package.

While, this is NOT the package I'm referring to (different vendor), I found this article which I think actually solves the problem http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-connector-outlook/52471-zco-7-1-2-deploy-gpo-sees-package-arabic-language.html . I don't like having to edit my source package to fix the issue, but it works and I have the package installing itself. 

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, May 23, 2014 12:22 PM
  • link above was dead. after some searching around found it. https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?t=43681

And just to have it here:

ZCO 7.1.2 deploy from GPO sees the package as Arabic language.
    Postby GreenGumby» Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Download a bit of software called Orca. Just google for Orca MSI Editor. You should get plenty of hits.
    You can open the MSI with it, under view --> Summary Information go to the Languages input field and remove all but 1033. Okay and save. Pretty simple!
    • Proposed as answer by BarkerMan Wednesday, May 1, 2019 4:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 4:55 PM