none
"User is already being moved‎" error when you move mailboxes from on-premises to Exchange Online in a hybrid deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys..!!!

When I trying to move a user from Exchange Server 2013 to Exchange Online the following error appears:

The error shown is "MigrationPermanentException: The destination user already has a main mailbox." 

Well I review the error and I change the parameters HomeMDB y HomeMTA.

After trying to return the user from Exchange Online to Exchange Server 2013 because the user appears in section "Mailbox Type" in Exchange Server as a User instead of an Office365 User

Error: MigrationPermanentException: The recipient 'User Name' must be a mail-enabled user when the main mailbox is moving between forests. -> The recipient 'User Name' must be a mail-enabled user when the main mailbox is moving through forests

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks and Regards

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi guys..!!!

When I trying to move a user from Exchange Server 2013 to Exchange Online the following error appears:

The error shown is "MigrationPermanentException: The destination user already has a main mailbox." 

Well I review the error and I change the parameters HomeMDB y HomeMTA.

After trying to return the user from Exchange Online to Exchange Server 2013 because the user appears in section "Mailbox Type" in Exchange Server as a User instead of an Office365 User

Error: MigrationPermanentException: The recipient 'User Name' must be a mail-enabled user when the main mailbox is moving between forests. -> The recipient 'User Name' must be a mail-enabled user when the main mailbox is moving through forests

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks and Regards

Does the user have a mailbox in Exchange Online already ? Sounds like it.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:22 PM
  • Right...!!! The mailbox lives in Office 365 but you can still see all of its properties in Exchange Server and you can see the Mailbox Type as "User".
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Hi Marco A. Hernandez,

A similar issue here: Target user already has a primary mailbox

It mentions that:

Assuming that licensing the user created a mailbox in EO and thus is causing the issue, your best option is to delete this user in O365, remove him from the recycle bin as well and see if he's correctly recreated after the next DirSync cycle. This method of course should only be used if he's not already using any other O365 services as data loss might occur.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 5:58 AM
  • A brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:

[User is already being moved‎" error when you move mailboxes from on-premises to Exchange Online in a hybrid deployment - summary]

Issue Symptom:
    Trying to move a user from Exchange Server 2013 to Exchange Online
    Returning the user from Exchange Online to Exchange Server 2013

(Possible) Cause:
    the user have a mailbox in Exchange Online already

Solution:
    Delete this user in O365, remove him from the recycle bin as well and see if he's correctly recreated after the next DirSync cycle.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:02 AM