Extension is already assigned to another user on a dial plan. RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to UM enable a user with a specific extension.  I get the error that the extension is already assinged to another user.  I cannot locate the number in the directory.

I have exported with Get-UMMailbox.. the extension is not in the export.

ldap query for msRTCSIP-Line gives no results.

ldap query for Telephone Number no results.

Lync ctrl panel search does not return any results.

Any advice is appreciated.

l1b3r4l

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:58 PM

Answers

• I figured out my issue.  This may be similar for others.

Scenario:  I attempted to UM enable a Lync user that I assigned an "available" number.  When I UM enabled I was presented with an error stating that the extension was already assigned to a user in the dial plan.

I did custom ldap searches for msRTCSIP-Line=tel:+1xxxxxx1234 - No results with this search.

I searched via the Lync ctrl panel filters for this number.  - No results returned.

I attempted the proxyaddress=smtp: search via custom ldap search in ADUC.  - No results.

What happened was a user was assigned Enterprise voice andded to a dial plan, then was moved over to the Aura system.  WHen this happened the number was given back to the pool, the user was set as PC>PC only.  This user did not have UM disabled when removed from Lync Enterprise voice.

I was able to locate the user using the following commmands.  I found the user disabled UM, then was able to provision the new user without issue.

The command to do so is as follolws:  (plus  bonus commands for your enjoyment)

get-ummailbox | ForEach { If($_.Extensions -eq 4322){$.DisplayName}}

get-ummailbox | where { $_.Extensions -eq "45873" }

Get-UMDialplan -Identity "DefaultDialPlan" | Format-List

Hope this helps someone!

Enjoy

l1b3r4l

• Edited by l1b3r4l Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by l1b3r4l Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

• hi,

THe attribute you mentioned are not the UM extensions.

proxy addressess is the Attribute for UM extension .You can run query for this attribute and I am sure some user already have this extension.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I figured out my issue.  This may be similar for others.

Scenario:  I attempted to UM enable a Lync user that I assigned an "available" number.  When I UM enabled I was presented with an error stating that the extension was already assigned to a user in the dial plan.

I did custom ldap searches for msRTCSIP-Line=tel:+1xxxxxx1234 - No results with this search.

I searched via the Lync ctrl panel filters for this number.  - No results returned.

I attempted the proxyaddress=smtp: search via custom ldap search in ADUC.  - No results.

What happened was a user was assigned Enterprise voice andded to a dial plan, then was moved over to the Aura system.  WHen this happened the number was given back to the pool, the user was set as PC>PC only.  This user did not have UM disabled when removed from Lync Enterprise voice.

I was able to locate the user using the following commmands.  I found the user disabled UM, then was able to provision the new user without issue.

The command to do so is as follolws:  (plus  bonus commands for your enjoyment)

get-ummailbox | ForEach { If($_.Extensions -eq 4322){$.DisplayName}}

get-ummailbox | where { $_.Extensions -eq "45873" }

Get-UMDialplan -Identity "DefaultDialPlan" | Format-List

Hope this helps someone!

Enjoy

l1b3r4l

• Edited by l1b3r4l Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by l1b3r4l Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

My issue was not exactly the same, but your shell commands helped me find the solution.   I was trying to activate extension 2356 for a particular user, and the Unified Messaging wizard kept telling me extension 2356 was already assigned to another user or dialing plan.  We only have 1 dialing plan, so I queried AD and the Lync Server Users in an attempt to find this second user, with no results. 

I used the Exchange Mgmt.Shell command "get-ummailbox | where { $_.Extensions -eq "2356" }"  which reported the second user that has a UM extension of 2356.  

What had happened is that when the other user was initially enabled for UM, his extension was incorrectly reported as 2356 when it should have been 2326.  AD and Lync were querying against the phone extension, not the UM extension which is why I could not find anything.

Moral of the story, be careful when you are enabling UM for users to ensure their UM extensions match their phone extensions. 

Thanks for the help,

RFPITNerd

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Also had this issue, but in my case I was trying to allocate a number previously used by a user that had since had UM disabled.

Looks like the 'eum:...' proxy addresses aren't removed when a mailbox is UM disabled. So my problem was a clashing eum address on a non UM enabled mailbox, which meant any commands using the Get-UMMailbox couldn't find the culprit.

This worked though:

Get-Mailbox | Where { $_.EmailAddresses -like "*11111*" }

Was then able to manually remove the invalid eum: addresses and enabled the UM mailbox.

• Proposed as answer by Jeffy-g Friday, April 10, 2015 6:12 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Thanks, I had this problem today and was able to fix it quickly due to your post.
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Thank you for the post.

This did help. While I didn't need to follow your instructions, I was able to fix my issue because of how you explained it and knowing my current situation.

In our case, a user (user A) moved to another department. Here users have to change numbers when they move. Changes were made in AD and Lync 2013. User A was moved from 1234 to 0987. All was well until we needed to back fill the position with new person (user B) taking over the old number 1234. UM was never touched. Ergo, the 1234 was still in use according to UM. 

Disable UM for user A. This "released" 1234 in UM.

Enable UM for user B. Success!

Re-enable UM for user A with 0987. Everyone's happy.

Thanks for taking the time to tell people how you fixed your issue. It made this Monday morning a lot better. ;-)

Best Regards,

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:45 PM
  • This is useful as well 

Get-UMMailbox | fl ext*

Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:51 PM
  • This command helped me resolve my issue.

Get-Mailbox | Where { $_.EmailAddresses -like "*11111*" }

Thanks Mike.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:59 PM