none
SCOM 2012 - 2 management servers configuration SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm in the process of installing SCOM in my environment and I have a few questions :

I'd like to know if I can install SCOM 2012 on 2 seperate servers with SQL 2008 sp1 on each of them so replication can occur?

Do I need to configure a single DB or those two DBs I'll install will replicate themselves (If I add the management the second to the first one of course)? I haven't found anything about that...

For high availibility I saw that people usually configure SQL server as a cluster because it's on a different server. What if I install SQL on the same server with a second management server with its own database? Will it work?

Thanking you in advance,

Cedric

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:57 PM

Answers

• Cedric,

If you looking for a way to provide resliiency and/or high availabilty for the Operations Manager database(s), leveraging SQL clustering (for HA), or SQL Log Shipping and SAN replication between two data centers (for service continuity/resiliency) is a common method employed.  Also having a sound backup/restore process will be critical.  Within Operations Manager, there is no setting to invoke replication of the SQL database(s) between SQL Servers deployed specifically for OpsMgr.  It is all managed outside of OpsMgr through native SQL "AlwaysOn" features (excluding Mirroring, as ths is not supported by the product group).

For load-balancing/resiliency of the management server for agents, deploying multiple management servers ensures that if one MS is unavailable, agents can fail over to the other MS in the management group and maintain continuity of monitoring activity/and management of agents. 

Without knowing more about your overall monitoring requirements and service continuity requirements, I cannot provide a more appropriate recommendation with respect to HA/DR and how you should architect your management group.  For further details, please review the Deployment Guide here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278852 or if you can provide us with more detailed information, we can provide more detailed guidance.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:22 PM

All replies

• Cedric,

If you looking for a way to provide resliiency and/or high availabilty for the Operations Manager database(s), leveraging SQL clustering (for HA), or SQL Log Shipping and SAN replication between two data centers (for service continuity/resiliency) is a common method employed.  Also having a sound backup/restore process will be critical.  Within Operations Manager, there is no setting to invoke replication of the SQL database(s) between SQL Servers deployed specifically for OpsMgr.  It is all managed outside of OpsMgr through native SQL "AlwaysOn" features (excluding Mirroring, as ths is not supported by the product group).

For load-balancing/resiliency of the management server for agents, deploying multiple management servers ensures that if one MS is unavailable, agents can fail over to the other MS in the management group and maintain continuity of monitoring activity/and management of agents. 

Without knowing more about your overall monitoring requirements and service continuity requirements, I cannot provide a more appropriate recommendation with respect to HA/DR and how you should architect your management group.  For further details, please review the Deployment Guide here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278852 or if you can provide us with more detailed information, we can provide more detailed guidance.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hi Cedric,

SCOM does not support multiple DB's in a MG. DB is common to all Management servers. If you are really looking for data replication Matt has already provided you with the information.

Thanks,

Varun

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thanks Matt for your answers and your time, I'm not sure I will cluster SQL cause If I want to install SCOM, then SCCM then Orchestrator then ... I'll have to multiply the SQL servers then!

Instead I'll probably install a single server with a single SQL server on each System Center management server.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Is this for a lab environment or production?  Also if you plan on deploying Configuration Manager and Service Manager and you will be installing the Reporting feature of each, then you cannot utilize a single SQL Server because Operations Manager plugs a module into SSRS and essentially "owns" that SSRS implementation. 

If this were for a lab environment to minimize the number of SQL servers simply for the sake of simplicity and evaluating products, then this configuration will be acceptable.  However, if this is for production and depending on the scope of requirements and anticipated workload, this design is not recommended. 

There are a number of caveats here between each System Center product as it relates to SQL configuration - collation setting, implementation of SSRS, features such as Analysis and Full Text Search, etc.  Not to mention the performance and scalability impact of SQL itself depending on all things related here and the performance impact that could ripple between each System Center product, since each has its own workload and the influence poor performance can have upon itself and the other products leveraging that one SQL Server.  Additionally, Service Continuity/Disaster Recovery and how that would impact each product referencing that single SQL Server. 

I encourage you to review the requirements for each System Center product carefully and factor in the highlights I provided above in your overall deployment design (if this is for production).

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi Matt, for simplicity I will install a SQL server on each System Center products.

Thanks for your help

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:52 AM