none
Exchange 2007 R2 MP - incorrect discoveries RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In general I like the Exchange 2007 R2 MP - everything turned off by default and the ability to progressively enable monitoring.

One thing I have noticed is that when I look at the members of the Exchange 2007 Computer Group, it includes servers that aren't Exchange Servers. It seems to discover the members of this group by looking at whether the Exchange 2007 Management Tools are installed. I haven't had time to examine this "guess" in detail but it does have implications for disk monitoring.

The Exchange 2007 MP Guide suggests on page 16 (with good reason) disabling windows disk performance monitors against the Exchange 2007 Computer Group on the basis that the Exchange MP does this. But .... if the Exchange 2007 Computer Group contains computers that aren't actually Exchange 2007 Servers then you could end up in a situtation where you are potentially not collecting disk performance information against these incorrectly identified servers.

Just wondered if anyone else has this MP installed on R2? And if so, if they look at the members of the Exchange 2007 group, whether they see the same "issue"?

Cheers

Graham
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:18 AM

Answers

• The Exchange 2007 Computer Group membership is based on instances of the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper.   So yes you will see computers in here that are not Exchange 2007 servers, including Windows Server installation that have Exchange tools installed.  Note, Windows Clients that have Exchange tools installed will not be a part of this group.

This was done because the Computer group is used to setup overrides for the health services, since the health service runs on the cluster physical node, and not all cluster physical nodes are discovered as Exchange 2007 Servers  (CCRNode without a cluster and SCC  being the notable reasons). 
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:40 PM

All replies

• The Exchange 2007 Computer Group membership is based on instances of the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper.   So yes you will see computers in here that are not Exchange 2007 servers, including Windows Server installation that have Exchange tools installed.  Note, Windows Clients that have Exchange tools installed will not be a part of this group.

This was done because the Computer group is used to setup overrides for the health services, since the health service runs on the cluster physical node, and not all cluster physical nodes are discovered as Exchange 2007 Servers  (CCRNode without a cluster and SCC  being the notable reasons). 
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Thanks - I test tomorrow but I think I can use an override (enable = false) against the discovery of the non-Exchange 2007 Servers and then run the Remove-DisabledMonitoringObject Poweshell cmdlet ... would just be useful if the MP guide mentioned this (perhaps it does and I missed it!).

Cheers

Graham
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:52 PM
  • You should disable the Discovery of the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper for your none Exchange Servers, and then yes you will need to run the remove-disabledMonitoringObject to clean up the instances of Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Thanks Graham and S.Halsey

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:00 PM