none
SCSM 2016 UR8 Upgrade issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have upgraded my SCSM 2016 infra with UR8. We have 4 Servers as below,

1. SCSM MS + Self service portal

2. SCSM Datawarehouse Server 

3. SQL always on Node 01

4. SQL always on Node 02

Issue: mistakenly I have upgraded the SCSM MS server first and it's completed successfully, but I couldn't upgrade the Datawarehouse server without much error.

Q1: Can i revert the UR8 on Service Manager MS and apply on DW MS first? or any workaround to upgrade the SCSM DW MS directly

Q2: is there any modification required at SCSM SQL Database end.

Q2: 

Monday, December 30, 2019 10:28 AM

Answers

• Yes. It's mandatory to apply the UR on all SCSM components. And the upgrade order is (it's part of the installation instructions as well):

1. Data Warehouse Server
    2. Primary Management Server
    3. Secondary Management Servers
    4. Self Service Portal Server
    5. All Analyst Consoles

If you don't apply UR8 on all SCSM components you might get some negative side effects and/or trouble with applying the next UR.

This is a SCSM environment in production? If so, I really recommend a proper backup/restore strategy for the future ;-)

Andreas Baumgarten

• Marked as answer by Juliesmiley Tuesday, December 31, 2019 2:08 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2019 5:09 PM

All replies

• As far as I know it's not possible to revert the UR8 that easy.

One option I know is: Restore a backup/snapshot you created before applying UR8.

Based on the Installation Instruction of SCSM 2016 UR8 no modification at the SCSM SQL Database is required:

Update Rollup 8 for System Center 2016 Service Manager

Hope this helps.  

Andreas Baumgarten

Monday, December 30, 2019 2:13 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your response.

I don't have any restore point or backup. But based on my observation all SCSM functionality seems to be fine. Is it mandatory to upgrade DW MS server?

Monday, December 30, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Yes. It's mandatory to apply the UR on all SCSM components. And the upgrade order is (it's part of the installation instructions as well):

1. Data Warehouse Server
    2. Primary Management Server
    3. Secondary Management Servers
    4. Self Service Portal Server
    5. All Analyst Consoles

If you don't apply UR8 on all SCSM components you might get some negative side effects and/or trouble with applying the next UR.

This is a SCSM environment in production? If so, I really recommend a proper backup/restore strategy for the future ;-)

Andreas Baumgarten

• Marked as answer by Juliesmiley Tuesday, December 31, 2019 2:08 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2019 5:09 PM