none
P2V one domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to P2V one windows2003 domain controller.  What do you suggest?  do I have to turn off this physical domain controller off right away after fimishing P2V? 

If I do not turn off the physical server immediately since I do use this VM now, what would happen?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:36 PM

Answers

• You can find consideration for hosting domain controllers on virtual enviroment in Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

Sure you have to turn off the physicaldomain controller after the process of P2V. SCVMM provides guidance during the P2V process with domain controllers that should prevent both the new VM and the physical domain controller from being on at the same time. This must be avoided because it would lead to a situation called USN rollback .

The P2V wizard recommends offline mode which should be used so that the old and new domain controllers do not have the possibility of being online at the same time. By default, the NICs will also be disabled for additional safety. The NIC of the VM should only be re-enabled once the P2V process is complete and has been verified. At this point, the physical source machine will be off, and should never be brought back onto the network again before wiping it completely.
    Fawzi
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:56 AM

All replies

• You can find consideration for hosting domain controllers on virtual enviroment in Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

Sure you have to turn off the physicaldomain controller after the process of P2V. SCVMM provides guidance during the P2V process with domain controllers that should prevent both the new VM and the physical domain controller from being on at the same time. This must be avoided because it would lead to a situation called USN rollback .

The P2V wizard recommends offline mode which should be used so that the old and new domain controllers do not have the possibility of being online at the same time. By default, the NICs will also be disabled for additional safety. The NIC of the VM should only be re-enabled once the P2V process is complete and has been verified. At this point, the physical source machine will be off, and should never be brought back onto the network again before wiping it completely.
    Fawzi
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:56 AM
  •  

thanks for your great help.

which stuation should I do offline P2V?  only domain controller?  What about exchange 2003 servers?

do you have link or doc how to do offline P2v?

Thank you!

Friday, January 16, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:04 AM