none
protocol error : Too many authentication failures for root

Question

• When trying to convert virual machine from ESX to VMM I am getting following error message.

The operation on XXXXX@.com did not complete successfully because of the error: Server sent disconnect message: type 2 (protocol error : Too many authentication failures for root)
     (Unknown error (0xc0040232))

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the parameters are valid, and then try the operation again.

anyone has any suggestion how I could resolve this issue. I already tried to remove vmtool and try to convert virual machine but still i am getting same error message.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies

•  This is most likely caused because root login is not enabled on the ESX host.
    Juraj
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:45 PM
  • If you need to have root console access to an ESX Host, you must enable root ssh logon.

For security reasons, the default ESX Host configuration DOES NOT allow ssh logon for the root user account. 

To allow the root user to login to a VMware ESX Server over the network using SSH, do the following:

1. Go to the service console on the physical server & login as root
    2. vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    3. Change the line that says PermitRootLogin from “no” to “yes” 

General vi info-
     To use vi: vi filename
            i to enter insert mode
     To exit vi and save changes: ZZ   or  :wq
     To exit vi without saving changes: :q!
     To enter vi command mode: [esc]

4. Restart sshd with command: /etc/init.d/sshd restart

MW
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

Another Great instruction on how to enable ssh access for the root account in VMware ESX can be found at the following post.

VMware ESX How to enable remote shell access for the root account?

Although the instruction given by Juraj is almost perfect, in the post linked to above is some pre-caution & notes that can be of great importance to production environment users. For example, this is not really recommended in a secure production enviornment as it embed security breaches into your enviornment.

I hope this help,
    doublewopper

VMguru007
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:57 AM