none
SCOM 2012 SP1 doesnt have options for Linux/Unix

Question

• I am very new to SCOM and have run into a problem. We currently have SCOM monitoring our Windows servers and our Unix team would like to leverage SCOM for their servers. I am following the Technet article and when I try to run the Discovery Wizard or create Runas accounts, the options I would normally expect for Unix/Linux are not there. For example, on the Discovery Wizard, all I see is Windows Computers and Network Devices. We seem to have the correct management packs installed.

I appreciate any assistance!

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:07 PM

Answers

• Yes, and the version. For SCOM 2012 SP1 you will want to get the UNIX/Linux MPs from the install media. There is a folder called ManagementPacks that contain them. What is out on the online catalog is only for SCOM 2007 R2 for UNIX and Linux. We really need to do a better job of specifying this but... someday hopefully it will get fixed.

You can also get the latest versions from here --> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29696 but I do not believe it contains all of the UNIX/Linux MPs shipped with SP1, only the updates that have been released so you will want to remove the existing UNIX/Linux MPs you have installed. Get the ones from the SP1 install media and install them. Then use the latest from the link above and you should be good.

Note that you do not need to get the latest from the link but it does contain the latest agents and fixes.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by allanonnc1 Monday, January 20, 2014 10:07 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:41 PM

All replies

• You should have at a minimum the following MPs installed. These get installed out of the box when you install SCOM so someone would of had to of removed them if you do not see the option to discover a UNIX/Linux system in the discovery wizard.

Regards,

-Steve

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:47 PM
  • I do have those now installed, but still no options in dropdowns for Linux/Unix.
    Monday, January 20, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Once you start the Discovery Wizard, do you not see the following?

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:20 PM
  • That is exactly what I was expecting to see but do not see. I have also tried repairing the installation on both of our nodes.

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Where are you getting the UNIX/Linux MPs from?

-Steve

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:25 PM
  • I cant upload a picture because it says I am not verified, but I got some from the online catalog and some from a file we had downloaded when we installed SCOM called System Center 2012 MPs for UNIX and Linux. Some are version 6.1.7000.277 and some are 7.4.4112.0
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Does the lack of Unix/Linux option in discovery have to do with which Management packs are installed?
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:31 PM
  • To enable the use of the UNIX and Linux Computer Management Wizard to push agents to discovered computers, the UNIX and Linux agents are included C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits folder on the management server

if these folders doesn't exist, try to install\import Management pack of Unix/linux, you can use following link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29696

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Yes, and the version. For SCOM 2012 SP1 you will want to get the UNIX/Linux MPs from the install media. There is a folder called ManagementPacks that contain them. What is out on the online catalog is only for SCOM 2007 R2 for UNIX and Linux. We really need to do a better job of specifying this but... someday hopefully it will get fixed.

You can also get the latest versions from here --> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29696 but I do not believe it contains all of the UNIX/Linux MPs shipped with SP1, only the updates that have been released so you will want to remove the existing UNIX/Linux MPs you have installed. Get the ones from the SP1 install media and install them. Then use the latest from the link above and you should be good.

Note that you do not need to get the latest from the link but it does contain the latest agents and fixes.

Regards,

-Steve

• Marked as answer by allanonnc1 Monday, January 20, 2014 10:07 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:41 PM
  • That folder does exist, and has some files dated from the original install date, and some dated today, which corresponds to the time I installed the red hat 4 and 5 packs.
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:42 PM
  • Steve's solution did the trick - got rid of all Unix/Linux MPs - reinstalled from ISO - I now see the correct options in both Discovery and Run as accounts.

Really appreciate the assist!

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Ok, new issue - I went to the link above and downloaded and installed the latest MPs. When our Unix admin tried to do a discovery he gets the error under Discovery Results, Additional Results.

Discovery was not successful

Message - Platform was not applied

Details - Failed to find a matching supported agent instance in the imported management packs.

This is on a RHLE 6.4 server. Thanks!

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:28 PM
  • Do the RHEL 6 kits reside under "C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits"?

How long did you wait after the MPs were installed? It can take 5+ minutes for them to show up in the directory above.

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:33 PM
  • You might need to do a little tweaking of the management pack. This blog refers to Ubuntu, but its perfectly conceivable that it could happen with RHEL too:

http://blog.nickhowell.co.uk/2013/04/04/monitor-ubuntu-with-scom-2012-sp1

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 6, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:40 PM
  • The kits are in there, and its been a day since we installed the MPs
    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:18 PM
  • On the SCOM system under "C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents" is a file called GetOSVersion.sh. Copy this file over to the RHEL system and run it as root. You will most likely need to make it executable after the copy.

chomd 0744 GetOSVersion.sh

./GetOSVersion.sh

Post the results

Regards,

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Scom GetOSVersion Script output

<DiscoveredOS>

<Hostname>REMOVED</Hostname>

<OSName>Red Hat Enterprise Linux</OSName>

<OSAlias>RHEL</OSAlias>

<Version>6.4</Version>

<Arch>x86_64</Arch>

<IsLinux>true</IsLinux>

</DiscoveredOS>
    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:43 PM
  • This looks good. Are you sure the kits are in place as the error -  "Failed to find a matching supported agent instance in the imported management packs." means it cannot find the agent to install.

Can you list out the contents of the "C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits" directory?

What UNIX/Linux Agent MPs do you have installed?

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Steve - be happy to - any way to make it so I can post screenshots?
    Friday, January 24, 2014 8:24 PM
  • You should be able to. Click on the section highlighted in red on your post.

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:27 PM
  • scx-1.4.1-292.rhel.4.x64.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.rhel.4.x86.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.rhel.5.x64.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.rhel.5.x86.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.rhel.6.x64.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.rhel.6.x86.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.universald.1.x64.deb

scx-1.4.1-292.universald.1.x86.deb

scx-1.4.1-292.universald.1.x64.rpm

scx-1.4.1-292.universald.1.x86.rpm

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:31 PM
  • When I try I get this

body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:33 PM
  • This looks good. Are you sure the kits are in place as the error -  "Failed to find a matching supported agent instance in the imported management packs." means it cannot find the agent to install.

Can you list out the contents of the "C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits" directory?

What UNIX/Linux Agent MPs do you have installed?

-Steve

it can also mean the OS caption in the management pack doesn't match what the OS is presenting

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 6, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:38 PM
  • When you created an account to use on the forums you should of gotten and email that has a link that you click on to verify your account. Did you ever do this?

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:42 PM
  • Run the following from a SCOM PoweShell prompt and post the results.

$class=get-scomclass -name Microsoft.Unix.SupportedAgent

$class | Get-SCOMClassInstance

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Yes, but its been years since I did it
    Friday, January 24, 2014 8:56 PM
  • HealthState InMaintenanceMode DisplayName
    ----------- ----------------- -----------
    Uninitialized False Universal Linux (x86) - Debian
    Uninitialized False Universal Linux (x64) - Debian
    Uninitialized False Universal Linux (x86) - RPM
    Uninitialized False Universal Linux (x64) - RPM

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:00 PM
  • RHEL 6 has not been discovered. It would show up like this if it had:

Uninitialized         False        RHEL 6 (x64)
    Uninitialized         False        RHEL 6 (x86)

You can try to re-import the RHEL 6 MP and restarting the Health Service. If neither of these help after 5 minutes we would need to take a look at the OpsMgr Event log on the SCOM server for related errors.

Regards,

-Steve

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:10 PM
  • Steve - did what you requested, same exact error - please tell me where the specific log you need is and I can get it
    Monday, January 27, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Event Viewer on the SCOM server under Operations Manger. There should be alerts related to Cross Platform issues.  At this point it would be best for you to open a support ticket with Microsoft. Someone will be able to work directly with you as trying to do this over the forums is difficult when logs are required.

Regards,

-Steve

Monday, January 27, 2014 2:36 PM
  • I could see the latest management packs are in place. LINUX SUSE agent is discovered and installed agent using Discovery wizard of SCOM. It remained in not monitoring state for more than 2 days.

Could you suggest me how to get this fixed.

swapna

Sunday, November 06, 2016 10:53 AM
  • After importing the management server certificates all agents turned healthy.

Now I am also into same problem, when I try to discover the machines it says unable to find the relative kit. unsupported version. I have latest MP's. and Downloadedkit folder has all the files

swapna

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:26 AM
  • This thread is pretty old and you should open a new one with complete details on your environment. Are you running SCOM 2012 SP1? If not, can you give details as there are different reason as to why you are seeing the unsupported version based on the version of SCOM you are running.

Regards,

-Steve

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:15 PM
  • here is the error.. could some one help me

When I trying to install the UNIX/LINUX agents it says unsupported

Failed to find the kit to install.

I tried to import latest management packs – not worked[1.5.242 agent version]

Removed all management packs and re-imported[1.5.216 agent version]

Backedup all files in downloaded kits and restarted the services.

Still no luck.

Could you suggest me something on this.

swapna

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 4:23 PM