none
SCOM 2019 fails to install at all - At a loss RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon,

Environment: Windows Server 2016, SQL Server 2016 SP2

Mgmt Server 1 Windows Server 2016 will hold Mgmt Server , Ops Console

Mgmt Server 2 Windows Server 2016 will hold Web console and reporting

Installed SQL server 2016 with SP2 per MS instructions. Installed prereqs per Kevin Holmans documents as well as ran his TLS 1.2 PS script.

Installed prereqs on Mgmt Server 1 per Kenin Holmans docs as well as ran his TLS 1.2 script.

Restarted all.

Ran install for SCOM 2019 from first Mgmt Server, selecting only Mgmt Server and Ops Console. Filled in all the requested info, using domain svc accounts, got past both the ops mgr db and dw db config screens, verified summary info was correct clicked install and watched it set on configuring ops db for about 15 minutes before everything in the menu went red and it failed.

Error in the log that it produces matches what is on kevin holmans doc

"Info: Info GetLocalized AdminGroupNName: Administrators Group Name is: BUILTIN\Administrators

Error: Populate UserRoles: failed: Threw exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057

I can see working with a dba looking at a trace that it appears to install everything them it just stops and then completely uninstalls and fails: ?????

Do I not need to run the the tls 1.2 ps script since the server 2016 is 1.2 compliant?

I am at a total loss as to how to proceed other than rebuild everything......

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

TS

Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

Do you have TLS 1.0 disabled?

SQL Server 2016 on Windows versions ship with TLS 1.0 to TLS 1.2 support. 
    You have to disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1 if you want to use only TLS 1.2 for client-server communication.

As Kevin states:

"This is caused by having TLS 1.0 disabled on the SCOM management server or SQL server.
    If TLS 1.2 is enforced or TLS 1.0 disabled, you must FIRST install the software prerequisites for TLS 1.2 for SCOM."

Reference:
    https://kevinholman.com/2019/03/14/scom-2019-quickstart-deployment-guide

I assume you followed the following blog post by Kevin?
    Implementing TLS 1.2 enforcement with SCOM

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:39 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Leon, most cases are caused by having TLS 1.0 disabled. You can run the script in the following link to install the software prerequisites for TLS 1.2 for SCOM.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Script-to-automate-TLS-12-091f8fbd#content

Restart and try to install again to see if it is working.

However, if it is still not working, please check the solution in Installing SCOM 2019 fails with “Error: :PopulateUserRoles: failed” to see if it is working.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 3:17 AM
  • Figured out the answer. I ran the tls 1.2 script prior to install scom so the only thing active was tls 1.2. Got ssom successfully installed on tow mgmt servers:

1- mgmt server and console

1- mgmt server, console, web, reporting server

On the second server the is no System Center Data Access Service or System Center Management Configuration service installed, so I cannot start the ops console on that mgmt server?

Thanks,

TS

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:31 PM
  • Was the "Management Server" installation successful on the second server? Seems odd that there are no services, might have to try reinstalling the "Management Server" feature.

You won't be able to use the Operations Console to connect to the second management server, but you can use the Operations Console on the second management server to connect to the first management server.

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:45 PM
  •  Hi Tony,

Glad to hear that it is working well. For the second server, agree with Leon, if there's no System Center Data Access Service or System Center Management Configuration service, the management server may not installed successfully.

For the Operations Console, we can use it to connect another management server which is working well.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi Tony,

How's everything going? is there anything else we can help. If yes, feel free to let us know.

best regards.

Crystal

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:02 AM
  • Morning,

I have managed to get the sql 2016 server and two mgmt severs installed and working correctly. I decided to add a third server to be the web and reporting services box. Try as I might I cannot get the products installed and igured correctly. I am having difficulty understanding the sequence of events that needs to happen for this server and what needs to be installed?

from what I understand, the IIS requirements have to be installed and then the reporting services piece from the sql 2016 install media. There is some configuration that has to be done for these and I think that along with the order of install is where I am getting messed up at!!!?

Would greatly appreciate any light you scold shine on this for me.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:03 PM
  • Hi Tony,

It shouldn't be anything special really when installing the SCOM Reporting & Web Console feature.

For the Web Console, all the prerequisites can be installed with a single PowerShell command.

Installing the SCOM Web Console prerequisites:

Add-WindowsFeature NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Filtering,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Metabase,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Windows-Auth –Restart

Installing the SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS):

1. Install the SSRS from the SQL Server 2016 media and once done, select Configure SQL 2016 Reporting Services.

2. Create a new database once the SSRS has been installed.

3. Configure the Web Service URL by clicking on Apply.

4. Configure the Web Portal URL by clicking on Apply.

5. Verify that the SSRS is working by accessing both Web Service URL and Web Portal URL.

Note: You MUST see a "Home" screen before continuing to install SCOM Reporting feature.

Installing the SCOM Reporting feature:

1. Run the SCOM2019 installation and select the SCOM Reporting feature.

2. Then it's more or less next-next-next finish.

Note: You MUST input the same account here that you used for the OM Reader account when you installed the first management server.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Morning and thanks Leon. I add the prereqs for IIS using the scripts and that ended successfully. . The reporting Services - Native included in the SQL 2016 image does not install with SSRS, it comes back with MSSQ<SERVER when done, as the instance. This piece is what gets installed on the server where the web and reporting service will reside, correct?

TS

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:29 PM
  • The SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 comes natively with the SQL Server 2016 installation image yes, however by default the check box is not ticked so it will not install unless you check the check box for SSRS.

The SSRS does not have to be on the same server as the Web Console role, but the SCOM Reporting feature will have to be installed on the same server where the SSRS is installed.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Morning,

Thank you Leon. I think the part I am having an issue with is the info that goes into the fields once you begin configuring the reporting services screens, having the reporting services installed on one server and the sql server installed on another server. I am using domain service accounts for all the scom stuff.....

Also, should I install the web services first then the sql reporting services on the server

Thanks again!

TS

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:35 PM
  • There shouldn't be any difference in which order you install these features.

When having many dedicated servers, the most common issues that arise is permission/firewall issues.

I would start by checking the the domain accounts you're using have the required permissions:

https://kevinholman.com/2019/03/08/scom-2016-security-account-matrix/

Then also the firewall ports:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/plan-security-config-firewall?view=sc-om-2019

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Afternoon,

All the accounts are good, as they are the same I am using in our 2012R2 UR12 environment as well as testing out a SCOM 2016 environment previously. Firewall is good also.

Has to be something super simple that I am doing wrong, just trying to figure it out....

Thanks!

TS

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Let's take a step back for a moment..

• How does your current environment look like?
    • What are you trying to install?
    • What is the failure? Provide error messages, error IDs, event logs, install logs.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Afternoon,

1-sql 2016 SP2 server, windows server 2016

2- scom 2019 mgmt. servers, Windows server 2016, with mgmt. server and ops console roles installed

1- windows server 2016 that is to be used for the web admin console and reporting. we are not permitted to install those pieces on our sql boxes.

Items 1 and 2  go off without a hitch,

Item 3, the sql report server-native server install piece installs without an error. When I install the Reporting service -Native on server 3, it does not error out. However, when I go though the config steps afterwards I get errors as well as errors when attempting to install the scom reports module. I will go through those again in the morning and post the errors here.

Thanks again so very much!

TS

Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:05 PM
  • Hi TS,

will wait for your errors to go on troubleshooting.

Best regards.

Crystal

Friday, October 18, 2019 4:49 AM
  • Hi Tony,

did you resolve this one? We would gladly hear your feedback. If this isn't the case, could you please provide the details (info, errors), so that we can help you in a more efficient way.

Thanks in advance!

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:29 AM